Gameplay - Questions

LigerioLigerio Join Date: 2009-12-30 Member: 69825Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I want fans to act like they know and say what they think.</div>So this is what I want to ask:

- How will the death effects be? Example; If killed by a alien that bites to kill you, will we see some legs drop off or is there any gravity at all?
* Or will it just be simply the same death animation over and over again.

- Will it be possible to jump on one of those big ass alien elephants and ride them?
* Or will you drop right thrue? (If yes, minus point for that one, buu!)
* Or will you just glide off right away! (I guess that is okey, may be a slippery back with alien lotion.)

Comments

• sondersonder Join Date: 2007-09-12 Member: 62266Members
    The big elephants are called Onos's.

In NS 1 you can ride them yes :D.
    Or well, you can stand on top of them - all about holding the balance then, hehe.
    You should be able to do the same in NS 2 i think.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    1. They plan to use a mix of ragdoll and predone animations. The predone to get the general movement and ragdoll to make sure it varies each time.

2. For the Onos, they also hope to be able to have him charge and push marines out of the way.

All this is subject to change of course, but that is the idea right now.
  • CallMessiahCallMessiah Join Date: 2002-06-24 Member: 813Members
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I'll bite.

I believe it has been stated that there will be a blend between death animations as seen in the "We all fall down" video and ragdoll physics for dead players. There probably won't be any chopped off legs/arms/whatever because gore of any kind isn't supposed to gon into the game. So yes, you'll see the same death animations over and over but they'll probably stay interesting because of the ragdoll physics. That said, if you have time to look at people dying, you're not working hard enough! ;)

Second one is a guess, but I doubt you'll be able to pass through any players, let alone the Onos because that would defeat the purpose of a hallway filling giant alien rhino. You'll probably be able to jump on its back and stand there if it doesn't move. This is a guess, but that's how it is done in "most" games and how it was done in NS.

Edit: Damn it, type faster, hands!
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    I heard you'll be able to play Ping Pong in the ready room too.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    If you find a LUA'ed enough server sure.... hey that wouldnt even be that bad :P
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    A ragdoll/animation blend is generally the best method, it gives you the visual appeal of a proper animation with the immersion you get from a reactive ragdoll which falls on surfaces realistically.

Failing that, either animation or ragdoll works fine, ragdolls are funny and animations can look nice if you have a good animator.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    i hope you wont pass through other players, i liked being able to boost.
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    i somehow doubt we will be able to pass through other players. Good old fade blockage would be gone, which was one of the better tactics to take down a fade (in a pub anyhow)

Ofcourse this is assuming the fade still moves in a similar way as in ns1.