Natural Selection 2 News Update - Spark SDK (Build 130) Released

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Spark SDK (Build 130) Released here

Comments

• TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    Ahhh Great news !!

And finally this edge extrusion thing that so much people were waiting for !

Happy new Year !
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Yeah ! Nice stuff right there.. and yes edge extrusion, I apologize for spamming the forum with this .. haha !

Mirroring, shift+drag copying etc.. all good tools there!

Just in time with my new graphic card, I think I'll be spending time with the launchpad opened on my computer here :D

Happy new year everyone !
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Had a little trouble updating it from the Launchpad app (didn't take - kept trying to update over and over). It finally worked when I ran the editor without using Launchpad.

Will have fun with edge extrusion :)
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Getting this error.

Couldn't write to C:\Program Files (x86)\Natural Selection 2/Engine.dll, installation aborted
    Error applying patch file "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\update_00006cbe\patch0.patch"
    Backup restored
    Do you have enough space disk on drive ?
  • amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    <div align='center'>Thanks</div>
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Great to hear about the shadowing fixes! Just in time for the 3 day weekend!
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1745304:date=Dec 31 2009, 07:58 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Dec 31 2009, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you have enough space disk on drive ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a brand new hard drive. 200GB free on it currently.
  • borgkingborgking Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69504Members
    got that error too...
    simply don't use the launchpad application, but open the spark.exe manually.
  • SqueeboSqueebo Join Date: 2008-02-04 Member: 63580Members
    Nice update, nice fixes.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Textures and models are still black, when using a Radeon card. No lighting whatsoever. :/

I'm starting to wonder, if you plan on just sitting out that one bug, because those few ppl that have it might upgrade their hardware eventually...
    I have radeon 4800series and it's working fine.
    Do you have the latests drivers for your card ?

And pls, once you resolve your problem, just come here to tell how, in order that dev team dont investigate for nothing on it. :(
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    It's a known bug with the older radeon cards since the first release of the editor.
    I can't resolve the problem.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1745303:date=Dec 31 2009, 06:52 PM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Dec 31 2009, 06:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Getting this error.

Couldn't write to C:\Program Files (x86)\Natural Selection 2/Engine.dll, installation aborted
    Error applying patch file "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\update_00006cbe\patch0.patch"
    Backup restored<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am getting the same problem:

Couldn't write to C:\Apps\Natural Selection 2/Engine.dll, installation aborted
    Error applying patch file "C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\update_00003427\patch0.patch"
    Backup restored

I tried running it from the launchpad, from my start menu and from the editor.exe as well and sadly kept getting it.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    I fixed that problem with an nvidia ftxs25000000
    Now im running linux and wine... lol
    ps any one know how to make that work?
  • ZunderZunder Join Date: 2009-12-13 Member: 69631Members
    Happy New Year !
    and thanks for this awesome update :)
    I fixed this problem

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Couldn't write to C:\Program Files (x86)\Natural Selection 2/Engine.dll, installation aborted
    Backup restored<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

by getting some free disk on drive
  • SwatCorpSwatCorp Join Date: 2009-12-25 Member: 69774Members
    edited January 2010
    here is the german translation from the news

<a href="http://naturalselection-community.de/" target="_blank">http://naturalselection-community.de/</a> index.php?page=Thread&postID=814e3a8e5#post8
  • ChuckstarNLChuckstarNL Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23446Members
    Very awesome! The editor just became a lot more useful. This got me more excited than the new year. :P

I'm still confused over how these tech points work though. Where do I place them? The model you guys added makes it seem like it's some random point in the floor.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    The update is really nice, edge extrusion madness here and the copy paint selection tool is Really helpful.

Drag duplicating does not happen on a specific axis, only in relative movement mode (not sure how to call it) so I'm not using it but maybe that's just me.

I have bound axis flip on Alt+X, Y and Z respectively, that is also a great addition.

I really like the tech points models. They fit well and the look is really nice in the refinery set.

Although, I can see you have diminished the shadow system capabilities .. maybe in order to fix the yellow light problem mentionned. As I had a big room with a "sun" light far away that doesn't cast any shadows anymore. It needs to be much more closer to do so.
  • noisymonknoisymonk Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68694Members
    Great additions - keep up the good work!

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm starting to wonder, if you plan on just sitting out that one bug, because those few ppl that have it might upgrade their hardware eventually...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bugs that are hardware specific are very difficult and time consuming to fix. And they clearly are working on other hardware bugs because they fixed the 'Yellow Texture' bug on GeForce cards. Just be patient - I know it sucks that you can't use the editor the way you want, but it will get fixed eventually.
  • CharybdIsCharybdIs Join Date: 2004-01-08 Member: 25163Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745330:date=Jan 1 2010, 02:04 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jan 1 2010, 02:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am getting the same problem:

Couldn't write to C:\Apps\Natural Selection 2/Engine.dll, installation aborted
    Error applying patch file "C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\update_00003427\patch0.patch"
    Backup restored

I tried running it from the launchpad, from my start menu and from the editor.exe as well and sadly kept getting it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Make sure the launchpad is no longer running.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Awsome update

The flip ability works great with level geometry, would love for it to work the same with models also. Currently it only rotates the model, dosen't actually mirror it as far as I've noticed.

Also for the shift+move duplication it would be great if it maintained the different axis locks as has been mentioned in a post before mine. Currently as you hold down shift the axises disappear and you have no control for which axis you want to move the duplicate(s).

But that's just nitpicking an otherwise great update which will make life with the editor a whole lot easier and time effective :D
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1745324:date=Jan 1 2010, 01:19 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jan 1 2010, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Textures and models are still black, when using a Radeon card. No lighting whatsoever. :/

I'm starting to wonder, if you plan on just sitting out that one bug, because those few ppl that have it might upgrade their hardware eventually...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, same here with my 9600 still.

I love the people who say, "Just get a new graphics card."

What that actually means is "Just get a new graphics card, motherboard, cpu, memory, drives and power supply." Great advice, anybody got about $1500 I can have?
  • PseudoSalPseudoSal Join Date: 2009-12-20 Member: 69721Members
    edited January 2010
    Great update!

Quick Question:

Why, when I translate a section of geometry it offsets from the grid? I've forced myself to map in a unit of 8, and the editor still offsets the section I'm translating so that it will not align back with the grid.

Perhaps somebody can explain what I'm doing wrong.. I'm a avid hammer user and never have this problem.
    I dont understand the difference betweens shift+move duplication and
    seletion + copy + paste + move
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1745363:date=Jan 1 2010, 11:14 AM:name=Dogbite)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dogbite @ Jan 1 2010, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep, same here with my 9600 still.

I love the people who say, "Just get a new graphics card."

What that actually means is "Just get a new graphics card, motherboard, cpu, memory, drives and power supply." Great advice, anybody got about $1500 I can have?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It will be fixed, this is an alpha. They are fixing and adding stuff every week as you can tell. Sorry for the wait :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1745371:date=Jan 1 2010, 12:23 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Jan 1 2010, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont understand the difference betweens shift+move duplication and
    seletion + copy + paste + move<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The final result is no different, but shift+move has been a staple of other editors for a long while and it is a tiny bit faster to pull off. Use whatever method you like!
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1745362:date=Jan 1 2010, 06:06 PM:name=Cruor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cruor @ Jan 1 2010, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The flip ability works great with level geometry, would love for it to work the same with models also. Currently it only rotates the model, dosen't actually mirror it as far as I've noticed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For now, there is a workaround: put negative Scale values and the prop is mirrored along that axis.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Thanks, didn't know that.