NS2 on Linux

Comments

• MaMuSMaMuS Join Date: 2009-10-09 Member: 68990Members
    I've made the pre-order. Hope you guys can at least make it wine friendly ;)
  • H3llsp4wnH3llsp4wn Join Date: 2009-12-16 Member: 69679Members
    I'd love to see NS2 running on Linux natively. And I would definitely buy it. ;)

@wilbefast
    Nice to see an Overgrowth fan around here. ;)
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i installed the editor onto a windows pc and did the updates. i burned that installation to cd and copied it over top of the installation folder in my .wine directory. now the editor runs fine with all updates.
  • WestwoodWestwood Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30057Members
    Nice to hear that! ;-)

But the goal should (please!) still be a native NaSe II running on Linux.

Greetings
  • MaximBMaximB Join Date: 2010-01-06 Member: 69895Members
    I've preordered the Overgrowth and NS2 Pack - with a Linux client in mind.
    Support us as we support you - make a native Linux client !
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i agree. At least some news about the plans for linux/mac would be nice. we know that 95% of the technology used should not be a problem in porting, so just a hint if it's still on the list of possible things todo would be nice.
    I mean, i can accept a clear no, i prefer that to no news that leaves speculation and then there is nothing in the end. But please please please.. make a linux version happen..
  • RazZzielRazZziel Join Date: 2010-01-06 Member: 69900Members
    I'm also voting for a Linux client. You can count with me if you need extra testing/bug-reporting on Linux.
  • M1AUM1AU Join Date: 2008-08-13 Member: 64804Members
    Oh I'd love to buy that Overgrowth NS2 pack but only if I know for sure, that a Linux version of NS2 will ever happen. Will it?
    Help me for a decision there, as soon as I know there will be a Linux version, I'm buying it immediately!
  • MaMuSMaMuS Join Date: 2009-10-09 Member: 68990Members
    Bought Overgrowth some months ago because of Linux support, and now, surprise, I have both the standard and the special edition natural selection! Hope this bundle makes what it takes for this timid linux thing get support by unknown worlds :)
  • wilbefastwilbefast Join Date: 2009-10-18 Member: 69079Members
    I was waiting for confirmation before pre-ordering, and now I have it too. Makes me feel really guilty because I didn't <i>pay</i> anything: on the other hand if there's no Linux support I won't <i>play</i> anything either :-S
  • HolodoctorHolodoctor Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67526Members
    Wow, and I feel kinda ###### with, since I preordered NS2 but did not preorder Overgrowth (although it has a confirmed Linux client) yet although I had planned on buying it when released for Linux.
    I don't have Windows on any of my machines and so if in the end they decide that they don't want to release a NS2 Linux client then I'll feel totally ###### with...
    Why is there no vice-versa option, so that people who preordered NS2 get Overgrowth?
    <a href="http://www.wolfire.com/pack?ns2=1" target="_blank">There isn't?...</a>
  • HolodoctorHolodoctor Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67526Members
    Yeah, hah, I'm sorry, I just got that link in the Wolfire IRC channel as well. I just somehow did not see that option when I checked the page.

It's in fact a real cooperation then.
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2010
    hi,

I read about this game today on holarse-linuxgaming.de (it's a german website), after some searching I found this thread and I just want to say: I want a linux client.

I'll prepurchase in the next minutes via the overgrowth/natural selection pack
  • rettichschnidirettichschnidi Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69961Members
    I'm also a Linux-only-User and thanks to the organic-deal I'm getting both games. I'd really like to see a Linux version of NS2.
  • LoremIpsumLoremIpsum Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69969Members
    I would love to see Natural Selection 2 on the Linux platform. The only reason I still use Windows is for gaming.
  • GenmaGenma Join Date: 2010-01-08 Member: 69982Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2010
    I planing to prepurchase overgrowth/ns2 since I liked and played ns allot and ovvergrowth will have a linux client, however iam also a Linux user, most cases only uses windows for gaming so a Linux client would really be somthing for me and would really encourage me to buy this game for sure. :)

To be noted
    I also prepurchased HON heroes of newerth since they have a linux client.
  • Joeman1Joeman1 Join Date: 2010-01-08 Member: 69992Members
    Count another Linux user here... I played the first one with my son on Liunx (With Wine) and would pay for a native verison for sure...

Thanks!!!

Joe
  • watchboywatchboy Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 69997Members
    I just preordered Overgrowth and NS2, at least in part 'cause I saw that the Wolfire team was working on a Linux client. I'm gonna run NS2 on my Windows partition ASAP, but let the records show that a native Linux client would make me super happy.
  • TimiiTimii Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70005Members
    I will also buy/preorder NS2 if there will be native version for Linux.
  • MyOwnOwnerMyOwnOwner Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70006Members
    edited January 2010
    Just registered to say:

When you do a <u>Linux port</u>, then I will <u>buy it definitely</u>!
    As a matter of fact Im running only Ubuntu on my PC, and the gaming experience with wine is... lets say not satisfying.

Summing up, I will <b><u>not</u></b> buy NS2 for windows because it will be not playable for me with wine.

Edit: By the way --> When you do the Linux port, will you release the source-code so we Linux tinkerer can compile it?
    It's a commercial game - I highly doubt they'll be releasing the full source <:-)

I try to avoid WINE: get things that will run natively instead - there's more and more of them and some are very good (and free):

www.penguspy.com
  • drizzt1611drizzt1611 Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70009Members
    Hi all

In fact, I already bought NS2, buying it with the preorder offer on wolfire, but I would love being able to play on linux as possible for Overgrowth !

Please port the game to run natively on Linux !

Most real Linux users will buy the game rather than look for ways to play for free with cracks or illegal copies ! (I mean people who use Linux because they like what "Logiciel libre" means).

have fun anyway !

(And keep us informmed when (if) the port is made available, and even when it is planned !)
  • jpalkojpalko Join Date: 2008-08-13 Member: 64803Members
    I purchased the Organic Indie Preorder Pack and hopefully I will get to play also NS2 on Linux. :)

Personally I like if games are done so that they are capable of running on multiple OS's and not just for one platform.
  • ddanierddanier Join Date: 2010-01-10 Member: 70039Members
    Would like to see a linux version, too.
  • cr7ishcr7ish Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70069Members
    Another "Organic Indie Preorder Pack" purchaser!

A native GNU/Linux client would be really, really awesome!
  • PfirsichPfirsich Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70022Members
    I'm actually only using Linux and I would really like to play this game on linux too. I'd have already bought it, if I knew it would work with Linux. If a full port is too much work (It surely is.. and it wouldn't pay off) you could maybe put some effort into wine-compatibility. Or ask some wine-developers to help you out?
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1683093:date=Jul 11 2008, 11:43 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jul 11 2008, 11:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1683093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I currently run a Windows system, but if NS2 was runnable on Linux I'd have one less major reason to stay on Windows. SC2 would have to be Linux compatible too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gaming is the only reason I still use windows. Period. So, if NS2 were to be playable on Linux, I would be all for it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1746873:date=Jan 11 2010, 11:21 PM:name=Pistachio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pistachio @ Jan 11 2010, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gaming is the only reason I still use windows. Period. So, if NS2 were to be playable on Linux, I would be all for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's like most people though - or their work uses MS Office - which is, let's face it, designed to trap people a vicious cycle - or they don't understand that you can choose your operating system. Still, what can you do? It's all very well to be idealist, but occasional I get bitten in the ass by the lack of hardware support, and it sucks how few people bother to port their games (read - use cross-platform dev tools from the beginning).
  • titi_gertiti_ger Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66904Members
    Uuuh such a good offer ( "Organic Indie Preorder Pack" )
    and still no linux clients! ( So no deal for me :( )