NS2 benchmark test

JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
Hi I was thinking how nice it would be to release a NS2 benchmarking tool, it has to be download for free as in u dont need to pre-order or have a cd key to use, much like farcry 2 benchmark tool.
the goal is first to stress the PC like having a scene with lots of marines and khara fighting eachother off with some tech buliding allso, I think this will first off help people that are hastating to pre-order thinking their pc will not run NS2 , and will allso work like a advertizment for the game like it could have a "pre-order the game" button.
so people that didnt preorder yet will preorder now after they know that the game will run AND it will bring in more people that didnt heard about it.
what do ya guys think of this idea?

Comments

• SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Good Idea but please let them finish the game first :P
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I can imagine that a benchmark could be much easier to implement than a full game. The only extra effort would be to script some player movement -- they could use existing maps, models, and textures.

I like this idea as it would give would-be ns2 players a look at what the engine can do -- even if it doesn't have all of the bells & whistles.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Still... if you want to include models they should be done first, hence the game needs to be atleast, almost done and I'm pretty sure they dont give out unfinished stuff.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    I'm gonna oppose this idea. Not because I think its necessarily a bad idea, but because NS2 just doesn't look ANYWHERE near benchmarking material. The game is beautiful, but I can't imagine it will truly stress any system built after 2004. A true benchmark needs to make even a system built tomorrow sweat. Perhaps a better Idea would be to make a real time tech demo instead, where they show off what the spark engine is really capable of with all the bells and whistles. Meant more to show how beautiful the rendering quality is rather than test some arbitrary PC performance metric.
  • BlizzerdBlizzerd Join Date: 2009-10-23 Member: 69119Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737555:date=Nov 14 2009, 05:32 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Nov 14 2009, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm gonna oppose this idea. Not because I think its necessarily a bad idea, but because NS2 just doesn't look ANYWHERE near benchmarking material. The game is beautiful, but I can't imagine it will truly stress any system built after 2004. A true benchmark needs to make even a system built tomorrow sweat. Perhaps a better Idea would be to make a real time tech demo instead, where they show off what the spark engine is really capable of with all the bells and whistles. Meant more to show how beautiful the rendering quality is rather than test some arbitrary PC performance metric.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

he isnt really talking about a benchmark tool, more like something to see if your system can run NS2

high end systems do not need to sweat because of this
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    yeah exactly, that is what I ment.
    i didnt mean for them to make something that compete with 3d mark. only some tech that shows off the engine.