Modern Warfare 2 Boycott

SpetsnazSpetsnaz Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24761Members, Constellation
edited October 2009 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">I died alittle inside today</div>Today during a interview on bashandslash.com with MW2 dev(s) they announced that there will be NO dedicated server support for PC. bye bye mod community bye bye clans.

Pretty sad turn for PC gaming today.

* We're doing a lot on the backend to make the game accessible for everyone.
* There is no delay for the PC version of MW2
* There's prestige mode
* Jason West at the MP event, said that he was dead on, on the matchmaking servers. We've been building a system on the backend called IW.NET.
* You are completely reliant on IW.NET. There are no server lists. There are no dedicated servers.
* You have private matches where you can customize the game
* You cannot put MW2 on a dedicated server.
* This is the first time we've ever done something like this and the team has huge plans for what IW.NET develops into.
* Customizing your game...you have quite a few options in a private match
* You're getting same game (as in Console), plus matchmaking and private match.
* Server admin point-of view, NO DEDICATED SERVERS

:(

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    If worst comes to worst you can always set up a listenserver and turn the graphics down (off). I'm sure they'll find a way.

--Scythe--
  • SpetsnazSpetsnaz Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24761Members, Constellation
    not an option tbh. Still at least ive got NS2 to look forward too. I just doesnt make sense to me what I.W. is doing.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    It looks like they're marketing their platform at the console user base developing a similar system to battle.net.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    This is fantastic news for people who are unable to deal with the complexity of a server browser, aka the kind of people you don't want hanging around in your dedicated server, which you now can't even have.

Reminds me of the L4D Matchmaking before they changed it.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732635:date=Oct 18 2009, 01:47 AM:name=Spetsnaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spetsnaz @ Oct 18 2009, 01:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not an option tbh. Still at least ive got NS2 to look forward too. I just doesnt make sense to me what I.W. is doing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It smells to me like an anti-piracy measure. If the only way you can get a decent game of multiplayer is to do it through IW.net, they may be able to reduce a lot of casual piracy.

<!--quoteo(post=1732642:date=Oct 18 2009, 05:14 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Oct 18 2009, 05:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is fantastic news for people who are unable to deal with the complexity of a server browser, aka the kind of people you don't want hanging around in your dedicated server, which you now can't even have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I was talking to a really casual gamer the other day about how one of the best differences between PC and console is the fact we have dedicated servers that give solid performance, can be customised, foster communities and can be adminned to deal with griefers. You have to wonder what amazing trick IW have got up their sleeve to make sure that PC players of the game who are only concerned with multiplayer still bother with the game. I never got MW on the PC but I've had it recommended so many times to me and having played the 360 version I was considering picking it up, mostly for the multiplayer aspect. But I only really enjoy playing FPSes online when I know I don't have to contend with griefers and hackers, otherwise it feels like I've somehow been cheated out of my time.

As I say, I'm looking forward to seeing this rabbit.

[Edit] <a href="http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=739&Itemid=111" target="_blank">http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=111</a>

Er, Spetsnaz? After reading BashandSlash it seems this has not been confirmed in any way. All they said was they are having a matchmaking system. But everyone's taken it to mean no ded server support, with uninformed comments like the one below being the result:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Implications? [For if there were no Ded servers]

* Password protected servers would not exist. <b>Not true.</b>
    * Clan matches would not take place. <b>Not true. It is possible to include support for clan matches via IW-owned or endorsed third-party dedicated servers.</b>
    * Competitive gaming, as we know it, would disappear. <b>MW2 kills competitive gaming shocker!</b>
    * Ad-hoc scrims could be a thing of the past. <b>Possible, but this IW.net could</b>
    * Game Server Providers would be crippled. <b>Everyone PANIC!</b>
    * Player online experiences would be completely dominated by the quality of the system operated by the game's host. 48+slot servers could be a thing of the past. <b>Not necessarily. 3rd-party IW-approved dedicated servers may prevail.</b>
    * Modders and mappers will disappear. The game's variation, as we have become accustomed to, will go with them. Our community will focus on gaming only. The hobbiest element will need to find another game.<b>This, however, seems far more plausible.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, actually, nothing's been confirmed, apart from a matchmaking system for PC, which could be entirely optional.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    I'm getting sick of all the games starting this stuff, i like the old quake and half-life way of doing servers :p

what ever happened to the days when games didnt even have server browsers?! blah :)
    nope it is official

FourZeroTwo annouced it during the interview via skype on bashandslash

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fourzerotwo was on our BASH webcast this morning and he had a few surprises for the PC community.

Here are the snippets:

We're doing a lot on the backend to make the game accessible for everyone.
    There is no delay for the PC version of MW2
    There's prestige mode
    Jason West at the MP event, said that he was dead on, on the matchmaking servers. We've been building a system on the backend called IW.NET.
    You are completely reliant on IW.NET. There are no server lists. There are no dedicated servers.
    You have private matches where you can customize the game
    You cannot put MW2 on a dedicated server.
    This is the first time we've ever done something like this and the team has huge plans for what IW.NET develops into.
    Customizing your game...you have quite a few options in a private match
    You're getting same game (as in Console), plus matchmaking and private match.
    Server admin point-of view, NO DEDICATED SERVERS

I've summarized some of my own thoughts from the cast here:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I'll provide the *shrug* opinion here: I honestly couldn't care less. I played CoD4's singleplayer and loved it, but found the multiplayer unappealing and lackluster. I especially disliked the very unclear (if not non-existant) feedback you got after death - no "oh, that's what I did wrong," just "oh, I'm dead again for some reason." I haven't been keeping close tabs on MW2 (it's some sort of CoD game again right?), but I'll buy it if the singleplayer gets appealing reviews, and for no other reason.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732693:date=Oct 18 2009, 01:07 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 18 2009, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll provide the *shrug* opinion here: I honestly couldn't care less. I played CoD4's singleplayer and loved it, but found the multiplayer unappealing and lackluster. I especially disliked the very unclear (if not non-existant) feedback you got after death - no "oh, that's what I did wrong," just "oh, I'm dead again for some reason." I haven't been keeping close tabs on MW2 (it's some sort of CoD game again right?), but I'll buy it if the singleplayer gets appealing reviews, and for no other reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Half the servers have kill-cam or you can filter for servers with kill-cam if you want to learn from your mistakes. I honestly can't think of what other tool you could possibly need in order to learn in an FPS.

This IW.net idea isn't inherently bad but the option to keep dedicated servers should also remain. If they slant IW.net to be very clan/competitive friendly it may work out for the best. Some of the most fun I ever had in competitive FPS leagues was back in the Rainbow Six / R6:Rogue Spear days. The popular ladders back then allowed a clan to play as frequently as they wanted with clans competing to win rounds on a map then eventually the clan that won the first 3 maps took the victory with map choice alternating between teams. I miss that kind of competition as it's been replaced by the popular CAL-style of one scheduled match a week.

When L4D announced their matchmaking system I just assumed there would be clan support with a ranking system. Obviously, there wasn't but hopefully IW.net will support something like that.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I didn't play a whole lot of the CoD4 multiplayer before giving up on it, so it is quite possible that none of the few servers I played on had kill-cam. That would've helped the frustration a little, but I doubt it would've helped the Counter-Strike vibe.
    heres the official petition to IW

33k signings and it keeps going...

<a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw" target="_blank">http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw</a>
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732659:date=Oct 18 2009, 07:26 AM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Oct 18 2009, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It smells to me like an anti-piracy measure. If the only way you can get a decent game of multiplayer is to do it through IW.net, they may be able to reduce a lot of casual piracy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Smells to me like a game killer, I would never buy a game for the PC with such a system. If anything its more of an incentive to just try and pirate it.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Yes looks like a B.NET style maneuver to me. Every major company will have their own "Steam" ASAP so they can stop paying Valve money. So far, the implementations I've heard are worse(B.Net and this) for the consumer. I think Blizzard has the strength of games to get people to use their own locked down system. I wonder if it will work for the MW guys.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    Meh the problem with these launchers is that they are all independent of each other... Steam has been widely accepted by many users as their main game launch platform. I personally just hate installing all the separate programs just to run the games...

GTA4 for the Pc must be the worst implementation ever, and besides Steam, Company of Heroes has done a good job (being completely behind the scenes and in-game). But the biggest problems are still the fact that it is mandatory to be connected to their network in some way (unless dvd/cd usage is possible) and the forced patching (some of the company of heroes ones are just bullcrap). And Source demo's become useless if Valve decides to patch the engine :(

But it seems all we're buying today is a license to play instead of a license to kill :P
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Probably this will go the way of B.net. Mods have to be incorporated into the map file or some other such system.

I don't think this will be a major problem. Also, I play CoD for the SP campaign, not the MP.
  • Matt ReganMatt Regan Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63946Members, Retired Developer, NS2 Developer
    edited October 2009
    I agree on some of these points and disagree on a few. Honestly, having played MW1 on the PC and 360, I found the MP experience more enjoyable on the 360. Being able to create a party and always play on the same team with my friends on the PC is hard to do. Getting 3 or 4 of your friend on the same team in game like TF2 is difficult.

Having said that, a big part of any games online community is the dedicated server part though. I know I've enjoyed quite a few games of TF2 on the Shacknews servers and the personality there is very unique, something you don't usually get on other servers. It's what helps build the community. When there are dedicated servers for any and all styles of play, it opens up the community to more and more people to enjoy the game. I think that's why NS2 will be big; We want you to have servers setup with the play style that you like or even you create.

I think a better approach would of been something like Left 4 Dead's matchmaking, but we will just have to see.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732791:date=Oct 19 2009, 12:00 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Oct 19 2009, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes looks like a B.NET style maneuver to me. Every major company will have their own "Steam" ASAP so they can stop paying Valve money. So far, the implementations I've heard are worse(B.Net and this) for the consumer. I think Blizzard has the strength of games to get people to use their own locked down system. I wonder if it will work for the MW guys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blizzard can get away with it because they make games that are generally not played on dedicated servers. I think most people see b.net as something that adds value instead of something that gets in the way. I've played RTS games without a quickmatch arranged team system and it sucks.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1732878:date=Oct 19 2009, 05:16 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Oct 19 2009, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Blizzard can get away with it because they make games that are generally not played on dedicated servers. I think most people see b.net as something that adds value instead of something that gets in the way. I've played RTS games without a quickmatch arranged team system and it sucks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not to mention, B.net doesn't get in the way of modding at all, and it'll be even less so for Starcraft 2. If you look into how they're doing modding for that, it's pretty insane- if anything, their system will allow you to mod with little holding you away from engaging them immediately.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    <a href="http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/20/modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-response.aspx" target="_blank">http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/200...r-response.aspx</a>

IW responds to the critisism, they're tools. Looks like they're completely stead fast in their retarded matchmaking system because of "feedback" from people who can't find a server to play on? i'd really like to see what this mountain of feedback was and the kind of player that is too stupid to find a dedicated server to play on.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    Too bad, MW1's online was good fun I always thought, though it was basically CS.

That means MW2 will be a purchase I will make when it hits about half price. I will not care about missing the first big rush of playing MP, and the SP campaign will keep.

Amusingly, all of this has me playing through MW1 again, it really is damn good.

Also:
    <nelson laugh> at online petitions :P
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    <a href="http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745" target="_blank">http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745</a>

And now even more empty and worthless words!

Apparently PC users are now too stupid to work out how to filter for and join dedicated servers :f
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732963:date=Oct 20 2009, 08:37 PM:name=Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonic @ Oct 20 2009, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745" target="_blank">http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745</a>

Apparently PC users are now too stupid to work out how to filter for and join dedicated servers :f<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hehe loads of people going crazy over this in the comments of that article :D
    Being treated like mushrooms.

I still wake up in the morning hoping that this is one massive troll by IW :/. But i can only live in hope.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732963:date=Oct 20 2009, 02:37 PM:name=Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonic @ Oct 20 2009, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745" target="_blank">http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745</a>

Apparently PC users are now too stupid to work out how to filter for and join dedicated servers :f<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Right. They don't <i>want</i> to create a completely locked down system, but they <i>have</i> to for the poor incompetent players to figure out how to work this new-fangled "veedeo-gom" thing.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    What the ######? Since when has looking for a 2 digit number for ping/latency been such a hazzle?
    I can not see the point of this. At all. Please let there be a valid one.
    <!--quoteo(post=1732951:date=Oct 20 2009, 01:36 PM:name=Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonic @ Oct 20 2009, 01:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IW responds to the critisism, they're tools. Looks like they're completely stead fast in their retarded matchmaking system<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you surprised that some internet petition didn't win out? IW has clearly been planning this for a long time and the press release didn't say "IW wants your opinion on their matchmaking system," instead, it said "here's our matchmaking system."
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    I never thought being able to use a server list would make me "special" or I don't know.. I guess that's because most of us grew up with them, but anyway, I'll just wait and see reviews of this system before considering buying it (although I would simply for the SP).

By the way, how are IW going to monetize this? I mean, They'll need a crapload of servers.. At least with dedicated servers they don't have to pay for them.

At any rate, those comments on the blog Sonic linked to are pretty entertaining with stuff like:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope the system will recognize campers and give them warnings because I hate them ! And bunnyhoppers as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733029:date=Oct 20 2009, 09:33 PM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Oct 20 2009, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way, how are IW going to monetize this? I mean, They'll need a crapload of servers.. At least with dedicated servers they don't have to pay for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sell new maps like Battlefield 2 and Halo 3?
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    I didn't even know people played Modern Warfare for computer. I thought all the people that played it were FPS console n00bies.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im happy Battlefield 3 is in the making for PC only and isnt gonna give into the console market.