Modern Warfare 2 Boycott

2»

Comments

• Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    *Claps* Smart company.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some kiddies just havent heard of the true Battlefield series for PEE SEE?
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1733029:date=Oct 20 2009, 09:33 PM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Oct 20 2009, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way, how are IW going to monetize this? I mean, They'll need a crapload of servers.. At least with dedicated servers they don't have to pay for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They'll need a few work horses to handle match making. The actual games will be done listen server style like on XBox live probably.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    Listen servers on client connections? Well isn't that pingtastic T_T
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    edited October 2009
    But don't you see! It makes every single player a <i>potetntial</i> dedicated server so it's easier for him to play! Everyone else on those 10,000+ dedicated servers for MW1 just don't know what they're missing and have no idea that there are completely made up complaints that Activision recieved from 'players' saying they couldn't find a game. Doesn't that sound like a justifiable reason for completely gutting the potetntial of the game? :f
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    Does this basically means you always get dropped into a server, using matchmaking, with a group of random people? Since there are no clan or community servers to speak of (AKA favorites). I love my favorites list, there is nothing better then a nice list of servers from which I know have a good playerbase, rules, admins and people I know trough either community or from being a regular...

All of this will be dead, heck imaging the competitive players. They can't even have their own home base server to recruit or have clan matches on :/
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    edited October 2009
    Well I imagine it'll have like a lobby system, you pick which options you want to play like x map, y playercount and z perks and then invite your friends to the lobby, then it'll grab random players who picked options close to that and send you on your way to the wonderful world of P2P matchmaking hosting where everything is a pice of ######.

and a nice article from PC Gamer :3

<a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225744&site=pcg" target="_blank">http://www.computerandvideogames.com/artic...44&site=pcg</a>
    Thats a good article, guess what I found in the comments

<a href="http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/20/modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-response.aspx" target="_blank">http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/200...r-response.aspx</a>

My god that article is biased and uninformative :D
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->That article is shameful.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Penny Arcade decided to <a href="http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/10/23/" target="_blank">get in on the action.</a>
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    PA are spot on. It sucks that IW are turning their back on the hardcore PC community, but the hardcore PC community does need to wake up and smell the roses. FPS began there, but it doesn't end there.

To debunk a few things: they will already have dedicated servers for MW2 to test the game internally, adding release support for this is very minimal. Also there's no reason you can't use Steam as your anti-piracy method and another provider for your matchmaking. Agora Games is once such service provider, used on -well whaddya know?- CoH:WaW.

If anything good can come out of the hardcore community being marginalised it will be that some studio somewhere decides to focus all its attentions on the needs of the hardcore PC FPS player. This is what I'm holding out for, but I reckon it's more likely to come from the modding scene than from a company, especially given how tech-savvy and pirate-prone the majority of a hardcore PC game's following is.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733855:date=Oct 24 2009, 04:47 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Oct 24 2009, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PA are spot on. It sucks that IW are turning their back on the hardcore PC community, but the hardcore PC community does need to wake up and smell the roses. FPS began there, but it doesn't end there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's not really a reason to remove dedicated servers, and even if it was it's not just the 'hardcore PC community' that prefers dedicated servers. IW may be under pressure from Activision to develop an IW.net for some monetizing / anti-piracy purpose. It's strange that Blizzard is going through so much effort to create their battle.net (it's why the SC2 beta was delayed) yet they aren't going to share battle.net with their recently merged partner's biggest game.