How's life in the US?

2»

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1720755:date=Aug 5 2009, 10:17 AM:name=[WHO]Them)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([WHO]Them @ Aug 5 2009, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I guess nobody is going to mention the roving zombie hordes? Fine, neither will I, we'll just pretend that's not happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    SHH! We're almost out of change and we need fresh meat.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1720755:date=Aug 5 2009, 10:17 AM:name=[WHO]Them)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([WHO]Them @ Aug 5 2009, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I guess nobody is going to mention the roving zombie hordes? Fine, neither will I, we'll just pretend that's not happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This "problem" has been greatly exaggerated by human sympathizers who would like the zombies have no rights.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Guys it's not politically correct to call hippies zombies anymore.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1720653:date=Aug 4 2009, 02:50 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Aug 4 2009, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is still a project for me, I'm planning ahead six months or so, but I'm gathering all the info I can get. Obviously, I'll get my internship before going to the US, that's why I'm already looking, to be sure to get what I want.

My career's very young (in fact it's not even started really, save some internships) so I can't afford to live in the heart of SF Bay just for an internship. I'm thinking Austin perhaps, or Phoenix. I'd love to live near the Rockies though I don't know what tech companies I could find there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Make sure you start making contact with companies soon, even if it's sending your resume and a cover letter to the HR person (avoid online hiring databases like the plague). Some have a lengthy hiring process over a few months, although smaller ones can get you interviewing in a few weeks and an offer within a few more weeks. Also, making sure you have time in case your options strike out is a good idea.

Note that you'll probably be paid around $20-25/hour at a typical internship, so you can probably make it in the Bay area, you'll just have less money for other stuff.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    East Coast > West Coast is every way. New York, Boston and Chicago will likely get you shorter commute times and the chance at lower living costs depending on where exactly you live.
  • Paranoia2MBParanoia2MB Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1723734:date=Aug 19 2009, 03:39 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Aug 19 2009, 03:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->East Coast > West Coast is every way. New York, Boston and Chicago will likely get you shorter commute times and the chance at lower living costs depending on where exactly you live.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Almost in every way, but in the way of shorter commute times (transit systems, walking) and cheaper living cost in most of the Eastern States. Hell, same with Middle. West Coast, especially California has some outrageous home rentals. Orange County is one of the most expensive places to live. I know, I live there, but I lucked out and my dad has had the house I'm in for a long time so it's only 2k the most with everything.

Two story town home, 4 bedrooms and a 2 car garage :D
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I will admit us Californians (especially LA) have crappy public transit. That's what happens when your entire city was built with private car usage in mind....

Then again, we've got way better beaches. =]
    <!--quoteo(post=1724438:date=Aug 22 2009, 01:23 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Aug 22 2009, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then again, we've got way better beaches. =]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, but they have been completely over run by the zombi-- oh... err... "hippies"
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    There's plenty of tech industry outside CA. I live in North Carolina and work at a 1000+ employee Microsoft site in Charlotte. NC has what is called the Research Triangle Park (so-called because it is in the 'triangle' of Duke University, Chappel Hill UNC, and NC State). It's nearly all high tech, and has companies like EMC, IBM, Cisco, Red Hat, Microsoft, Sony, etc. The unemployment rate in NC right now is half of California's.

RTP: <a href="http://www.rtp.org/main/index.php" target="_blank">http://www.rtp.org/main/index.php</a>

NC cost of living, traffic, and pretty much everything is quite a bit better than any major market US cities - I've lived and worked in Seattle, southern California, Chicago, and New Jersey, and I would never move back to any of them - I have a brand new 3500 square foot house in a great neigborhood for $350,000. The same place would cost at least 4 times as much in SF.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited September 2009
    I will kick in that the Research Triangle area is also very nice to live in.

It is kinda like living in a major metropolitan area, just spread out over a huge area. Everything you could want in a city (places to eat, places to buy your good coffee, good medical, etc etc etc) are available in the area, but with none of the down sides (high price of living, congestion, etc). My brother lived out there (his wife worked for Duke), till his wife decided she wanted a PHD and they went to Bahstan. He had about 3 or 4 good tech jobs when there, each job change was a breeze for him (I think 2 of them were picking up jobs that would be more challenging).

Also:
    OMG it's MonsE
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I'm not MonsE. I am the North Carolina Visitors Bureau Forum Bot 9000 (patent pending).
    So... you're trying to boost tourism to NC?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726761:date=Sep 9 2009, 11:53 PM:name=MonsieurEvil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MonsieurEvil @ Sep 9 2009, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not MonsE. I am the North Carolina Visitors Bureau Forum Bot 9000 (patent pending).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well Crappit, looks like I fell for it hook line ans sinker.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726790:date=Sep 10 2009, 07:01 AM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Sep 10 2009, 07:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So... you're trying to boost tourism to NC?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was actually looking at houses and apts in NC because my fiancee is looking there for her residency. The houses are so much cheaper and newer than up here in the north east :-( .
    <!--quoteo(post=1726797:date=Sep 10 2009, 09:12 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Sep 10 2009, 09:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was actually looking at houses and apts in NC because my fiancee is looking there for her residency. The houses are so much cheaper and newer than up here in the north east :-( .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Plus you can live in an oceanside state where you might actually want to go in the water, and no one thinks of Family Guy and Brotherhood like when they see your Rhode Island license plate. :-P
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    SC is a lot like that too with a few exceptions (a million dollars will buy you a pretty crappy house in Charleston).

I went to a nice mexican restaurant with my parents. Pitcher of ice cold beer and 3 plates ran me around 25 dollars. Can't say the same thing in new york city I'd imagine.
    <!--quoteo(post=1726910:date=Sep 11 2009, 07:04 AM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Sep 11 2009, 07:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I went to a nice mexican restaurant with my parents. Pitcher of ice cold beer and 3 plates ran me around 25 dollars. Can't say the same thing in new york city I'd imagine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Haha, nope. I live in Jersey now( :-( ) and city prices are quite different. 25 dollars is an entree and a pint glass of beer in NYC.
    <!--quoteo(post=1726921:date=Sep 11 2009, 08:59 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Sep 11 2009, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haha, nope. I live in Jersey now( :-( ) and city prices are quite different. 25 dollars is an entree and a pint glass of beer in NYC.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to go to Jersey on business every now and then. I'm not a fan of their "no pumping your own gas" laws or "no making left turns" laws. Plus I feel like everyone is just waiting for an excuse to kick my arse.
    <!--quoteo(post=1726941:date=Sep 11 2009, 01:02 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Sep 11 2009, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to go to Jersey on business every now and then. I'm not a fan of their "no pumping your own gas" laws or "no making left turns" laws. Plus I feel like everyone is just waiting for an excuse to kick my arse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Jersey does indeed suck in general.

On the note of expensive eats:
    Every where has their rip offs and their good deals. When in NC I ran into a number of places that really were not worth what they charged, due to the entire college town thing, and in NYC there are tonnes of places that are cheap and amazing. And of course the reverse is true also :P

The advantage of a place like research triangle is that you don't pay the rent of a big city, though you do have to have a car no matter.

Personally I still prefer living in a big city, but that i just b/c I grew up here, I am used to not driving, to being able to get ANYTHING I want within city limits, discovering new (to me) places that are great, and possibly just down the block from where I normally am.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726941:date=Sep 11 2009, 12:02 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Sep 11 2009, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to go to Jersey on business every now and then. I'm not a fan of their "no pumping your own gas" laws or "no making left turns" laws. Plus I feel like everyone is just waiting for an excuse to kick my arse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    jersey has super cheap gas and you don't even have to pump it yourself and that's a <i>bad</i> thing? And what's this about no making left turns? Only bad thing I have to say about my home state is that it's somewhat overcrowded. I prefer it to the philadelphia region I live in now, I think. you never have to go more than like 5 miles to get anything you can think of in jersey.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Jersey is probably one of the worst places to live in America, with Camden being the biggest ######-hole in the world.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727026:date=Sep 12 2009, 05:26 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Sep 12 2009, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jersey is probably one of the worst places to live in America, with Camden being the biggest ######-hole in the world.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does anyone have that video with the dumb Jersey people bookmarked?
    <!--quoteo(post=1727021:date=Sep 12 2009, 12:02 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Sep 12 2009, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->jersey has super cheap gas and you don't even have to pump it yourself and that's a <i>bad</i> thing? And what's this about no making left turns? Only bad thing I have to say about my home state is that it's somewhat overcrowded. I prefer it to the philadelphia region I live in now, I think. you never have to go more than like 5 miles to get anything you can think of in jersey.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alright I don't think there's a law about left turns, but the area I go to doesn't allow it. You have to make a right turn at the next light, loop around and take a left through the intersection which could be a mile or more away from where you really want to be.

It's a pain to be forced to deal with a gas pumper, it's a pain to wait in horrible lines while one guy serves four cars at the pump. Not to mention that I never know if I'm supposed to tip or what. I'll pay 20 cents more for gas not to deal with that. Plus I think the lower cost has more to do with Jersey's proximity to harbors that bring the gas in to begin with. Less transport costs.

Not to step on any toes here, but I'd rather stay away. I noticed you didn't deny that everyone in your state wants to kick my arse. :P
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1727130:date=Sep 13 2009, 09:01 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Sep 13 2009, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alright I don't think there's a law about left turns, but the area I go to doesn't allow it. You have to make a right turn at the next light, loop around and take a left through the intersection which could be a mile or more away from where you really want to be.

It's a pain to be forced to deal with a gas pumper, it's a pain to wait in horrible lines while one guy serves four cars at the pump. Not to mention that I never know if I'm supposed to tip or what. I'll pay 20 cents more for gas not to deal with that. Plus I think the lower cost has more to do with Jersey's proximity to harbors that bring the gas in to begin with. Less transport costs.

Not to step on any toes here, but I'd rather stay away. I noticed you didn't deny that everyone in your state wants to kick my arse. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Google "jughandle" its not just for carrying jugs!

Not being about to pump your own gas is a stupid law but it "promotes employment" or something or other.

And yes, we do all want to kick your ass.

Edit: Profile says I live in New Hampshire but I am from New Jersey.