the engine

2»

Comments

• NEVERDIENEVERDIE Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68724Members
    edited September 2009
    God help us if any of you rejects who have replied, should try and hold anything more than a meeting that regards to what flavor of fruit roll up the rest of us should taste.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726643:date=Sep 9 2009, 10:15 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Sep 9 2009, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Be your own boss kind of thing!

Tis why I'm pushing through and teaching myself 3d modeling and messing about with various game editor engines (at this stage source, and had a short go at radiant).
    For now though I'm concentrating on Blender for 3d modeling. I'll be some while before I get to a level I would even dare approach a company and put demands on them to give me answers that are already posted in videos / podcas... oh. Wait.

;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I mean I'm hoping to become a good 3d artist, but it's damn hard. Hard to make stuff that looks good, although the lack of good tools often causes problems, I can model sorta well but UVW mapping is HORRIBLE... The tools in max for it really seem to be lagging behind the rest of the software in a big way, and you have to model with that in mind, really gets in the way. But as with most things I'm sure practise makes tolerable, so just keep at it I guess.

Autodesk however has this thing, I think it's called combustion, which lets you draw textures directly onto models, which sounds pretty cool actually. I think UWE used it in that one videocast about the prop texturing. It looks awesome, as do things like mudbox and zbrush, they seem much easier for creating bases for textures and normal maps.

If source will teach you anything it's patience, or possibly it will teach you the exact terminal velocity of your tower block. Either way it's educational.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726641:date=Sep 9 2009, 08:14 PM:name=NEVERDIE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEVERDIE @ Sep 9 2009, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yet you reply as if you are speaking for ANYONE that actually matters...

Which is why i stated. I hope that the developers are paying attention to thier community..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You did? Oh...
    <!--quoteo(post=1726631:date=Sep 9 2009, 07:57 PM:name=NEVERDIE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEVERDIE @ Sep 9 2009, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->real investors ask questions. They dont just go by pod casts and videos.

They also pay attention to the community involved..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...no you didn't. Who is "they" ?
    <!--quoteo(post=1726641:date=Sep 9 2009, 08:14 PM:name=NEVERDIE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEVERDIE @ Sep 9 2009, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meaning, don't let anyone who has no idea what they are talking about, speak for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't have any idea what I'm talking about?
    Perhaps you would like to go and watch the videos, listen to the podcasts and read the news updates and then correct my wrong information.

Sorry to mislead you with information as provided from UWE.

<!--quoteo(post=1726646:date=Sep 9 2009, 08:20 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Sep 9 2009, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I mean I'm hoping to become a good 3d artist, but it's damn hard. Hard to make stuff that looks good, although the lack of good tools often causes problems, I can model sorta well but UVW mapping is HORRIBLE... The tools in max for it really seem to be lagging behind the rest of the software in a big way, and you have to model with that in mind, really gets in the way. But as with most things I'm sure practise makes tolerable, so just keep at it I guess.

Autodesk however has this thing, I think it's called combustion, which lets you draw textures directly onto models, which sounds pretty cool actually. I think UWE used it in that one videocast about the prop texturing. It looks awesome, as do things like mudbox and zbrush, they seem much easier for creating bases for textures and normal maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you haven't yet, give Blender a look over.
    If you can set aside an hour or two a day for a few days, there's some very Very VERY indepth tutorial videos done for it, about 6 hours all up, 5 videos. :)
    Hit up the torrent linked here: <a href="http://blenderunderground.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3443" target="_blank">http://blenderunderground.com/forums/viewt...f=12&t=3443</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1726648:date=Sep 9 2009, 10:20 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Sep 9 2009, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726648"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You did? Oh...

...no you didn't. Who is "they" ?

I don't have any idea what I'm talking about?
    Perhaps you would like to go and watch the videos, listen to the podcasts and read the news updates and then correct my wrong information.

Sorry to mislead you with information as provided from UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you base everything on what you are told? Not what you actually know for yoursef?
  • Apollonius999Apollonius999 Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68725Members
    edited September 2009
    Hrmm this is vexing, am i going to listen to followers who have no idea of whats going on or whats happening versus the people making the game and doing the RIGHT thing, making a quality game better, more evolutionary, and exceptionally better than other games coming out.

Rather than speculating and guessing what they are doing can you let the people speak for themselves?

Your making them look worse and worse with each and every post even if a troll or any harm was meant in the beginning.

There is one thing in this entire post that has meaning, you ask i ask they ask "THE TRUTH."

Stop defending things you have no idea about and making UWE look bad. I love NS and to a point that i have been active in helping a unknown person develop a ns1 to source game.

Which yes what? brings better graphics, takes the game to another level using what they have existing, and above all will bring more people to a great games dying community.

Have you heard of <BAD> or EvolveNS or maybe NSLEARN or even NSdojo?

Ok lets take into part people have put so much time into the game they are making people understand how to play it, understand the dynamics, and take it to the next level even when there is the question of NS2 even coming out?

Welcome dear gentlemen to the audience who actually cares about the game and wishes it the best and not only wishes it the best but tries to make it evolve without any hope of an ns2 coming out. But with ns2 coming out has so much backing to the point of support in which we would provide their servers, maps, and other possibilities to the game free of charge. WHY!?!??!? We love the game and not only that we provide to the community of such a great source that we can kill limitless amounts of hours playing it.

We are obviously nobodies, have no life, and don't work!

Stop with your ridiculous posts and making Unknown Worlds look like A-S-S-H-A-T-S.

schimmel i like your post on trolling. STOP please?
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726649:date=Sep 9 2009, 08:24 PM:name=NEVERDIE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEVERDIE @ Sep 9 2009, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you base everything on what you are told? Not what you actually know for yoursef?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Told by the devlopers as fact?

Yes.

It's ironic, you want the dev's to come here and tell you the same answers that have already been given (and you can obtain yourself) and you are contradicting your own statements.

-----
    Let me quote something back at you "Apollonius999"

Stop with your ridiculous posts, you look like A-S-S-H-A-T-S.
    edited September 2009
    edit: dbl posted >.<
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    Im sorry neverdie / apollo, lets be friends
    you have answered nothing... WAS THE DYNAMIC INFESTATION VIDEO MADE WITH THE SOURCE ENGINE OR SOME UWE ENGINE?

here i will make it easy so your brain can work properly...

Question 1 :

Was the dynamic infestation video released back in 2006 using the source engine or the uwe engine?

answer..

1: Source Engine
    2: UWE Engine

Question 2:

Does a majority of the UWE Engine and Coding come from the Source engine

1:yes
    2:no

answer this and your not such a tart.
    Thanks your obviously a dev or someone who is making the game.

I think i hear an applause somewhere?

Great job, you have answered everything.

FAIL
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726655:date=Sep 9 2009, 08:32 PM:name=NEVERDIE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEVERDIE @ Sep 9 2009, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you have answered nothing... WAS THE DYNAMIC INFESTATION VIDEO MADE WITH THE SOURCE ENGINE OR SOME UWE ENGINE?

Question 1 :

Was the dynamic infestation video released back in 2006 using the source engine or the uwe engine?

answer..

Question 2:

answer this and your not such a tart.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To obtain the answer to the first question.
    Re-read the last two pages. It's answered.

Question 2:
    That wasnt' asked before but I feel confident in saying

2 is your answer.

<!--quoteo(post=1726656:date=Sep 9 2009, 08:32 PM:name=Apollonius999)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apollonius999 @ Sep 9 2009, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks your obviously a dev or someone who is making the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm a someone but not involved in making this game, just filling content onto the wiki that are facts and obtained from UWE postings / comments etc.
    <!--quoteo(post=1726657:date=Sep 9 2009, 10:33 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Sep 9 2009, 10:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To obtain the answer to the first question.
    Re-read the last two pages. It's answered.

Question 2:
    That wasnt' asked before but I feel confident in saying

2 is your answer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why do you not answer question 1 on your own...

and confidence and what is true are not applicable to question 2 just as 1...

You fail.
    edited September 2009
    I'm glad a nobody feels confident!

I play games too, lets all be confident!

I BELIEVE I BELIEVE ITS TRUE!

Belief is strong, the truth on the other hand is another subject all together.

Silverwing o thou silverwing where art thou! Thy valorous poster to defend thy defenseless nubs!
    you wrote that you want to look at the community, asking US some questions (not the devs, you have choosen so) and then complaining that we are not the devs and cannot respond 100% accurate, but you have choosen us to answer the questions...
    Read the definition of troll again, my friend
    <!--quoteo(post=1726648:date=Sep 9 2009, 10:20 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Sep 9 2009, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726648"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you haven't yet, give Blender a look over.
    If you can set aside an hour or two a day for a few days, there's some very Very VERY indepth tutorial videos done for it, about 6 hours all up, 5 videos. :)
    Hit up the torrent linked here: <a href="http://blenderunderground.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3443" target="_blank">http://blenderunderground.com/forums/viewt...f=12&t=3443</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tried blender but I was like 'OOOOHHHHH GOOOODDDDD THE SCREEN HAS ALL THESE BUTTONS AND WINDOWS AND AAAAAAAAAAGGGHh' mostly.

I was also like that with maya, and XSI when I first opened it however, and photoshop, so I might be able to get better at it.
    Nice response!

You dear sirs are NOT the devs. Stop respoding?

kthx
    actually i didnt say, "idiots that have no idea what they are talking about please respond". I asked questions. You and your tard friend chose to respond.. So who exactly is the troll?
    Well this now will be left to the forum moderators. If this post is deleted or modified which has been taken care of recording these lovely 2 people who responded while the question for the developers has not been answered. We have yet another flop. Please next time you read a post, look at who it's pointed towards and let them respond. They know what they are talking about. If you yourself are not involved but defending under righteous mannerisms, well i certainly think your helping the forums at least.....Nothing more. Thanks for making the people who made a great game look terrible and revealing anything and everything questioned to full light.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726655:date=Sep 9 2009, 10:32 AM:name=NEVERDIE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEVERDIE @ Sep 9 2009, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you have answered nothing... WAS THE DYNAMIC INFESTATION VIDEO MADE WITH THE SOURCE ENGINE OR SOME UWE ENGINE?

Question 1 :

answer..

Question 2:

answer this and your not such a tart.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here's a quick and straightforward answer to your questions:

1. The dynamic infestation was featured on an earlier iteration of the UWE Engine. The engine itself has been developed further since then, but it's the same engine.

2. No, the UWE Engine was coded largely from scratch over a long period of time.

Perhaps you could try to be less abrasive in your responses?
    i tried blender long time ago, but was too lazy to learn all the shortcuts in there :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1726669:date=Sep 9 2009, 08:56 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Sep 9 2009, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i tried blender long time ago, but was too lazy to learn all the shortcuts in there :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See my earlier post (page 2?) linked to blenderunderground with some awesome tutorials
    I'm working on the last 25minutes of video 3 now as it is.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    trolling the troll is fun.
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    @Chris - Have you tried using Roadkill to unwrap from Max? You have to be more careful than normal to ensure you're working with quads only but gives nicer results than the standard pelt.
    <!--quoteo(post=1726673:date=Sep 9 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Rhodri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rhodri @ Sep 9 2009, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Chris - Have you tried using Roadkill to unwrap from Max? You have to be more careful than normal to ensure you're working with quads only but gives nicer results than the standard pelt.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No actually I've never heard of it, I'll have a look for it.
  • tankefugltankefugl One Script To Rule Them All... Trondheim, Norway Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8641Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah, trolling is fun. Closing this. If you're genuinely interested in investing, contact Charlie by the means already presented in this post to get the questions answered.
This discussion has been closed.