RE: Black Armor

jamieshepherdjamieshepherd Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68693Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Regarding black armor & pre-order</div>Just looking around I couldn't actually find out the answer to the simple question as to whether buying the Special Edition (and getting BA) will be available post-release, or is it a pre-order only benefit?

Thanks in advance and apologies if I've missed the obvious
Jamie

Comments

• HebachebaHebacheba Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67872Members
    I'm talking completely on assumption here, but I'd think that since it's called "Special Edition," it's only available as a preorder, and it won't be available after release.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726126:date=Sep 4 2009, 04:05 PM:name=Hebacheba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hebacheba @ Sep 4 2009, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726126"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm talking completely on assumption here, but I'd think that since it's called "Special Edition," it's only available as a preorder, and it won't be available after release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you would go by the name then wouldn't it be "Special Pre-order edition"?

If the majority buys the special edition, why wouldn't they offer it after release? I mean 20$ for black armor is a great deal for UWE :D
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    IIRC from interviews, they said the special armor will only be available to preorders. They could change there mind(just like they said they would close constellation when NS2 comes out), but that was their intention last I heard.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    but... but... but... what about their eternal gratitude?
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1726180:date=Sep 5 2009, 02:58 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Sep 5 2009, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but... but... but... what about their eternal gratitude?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it's obvious that they stop with the gratitude after release :P
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    Here's how it backfires.

I'm waiting for reports saying if Natural Selection works on Linux (thru native version or wine). If NS2 is said to work with wine, and I like the game a lot, I may buy special edition. However, if SE is unavailable post-release, I won't buy it. There are likely to be more people like me. So if special edition is not available post-release, it's less money for UWE.

I certainly won't preorder special edition in hopes that there may be no DRM and the game will work on Linux.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm sure NS2 works well with wine. Both red and white.
  • ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726194:date=Sep 5 2009, 01:43 AM:name=borsuk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (borsuk @ Sep 5 2009, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's how it backfires.

I'm waiting for reports saying if Natural Selection works on Linux (thru native version or wine). If NS2 is said to work with wine, and I like the game a lot, I may buy special edition. However, if SE is unavailable post-release, I won't buy it. There are likely to be more people like me. So if special edition is not available post-release, it's less money for UWE.

I certainly won't preorder special edition in hopes that there may be no DRM and the game will work on Linux.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You'd buy a game on whether it works on linux or not or if you can get "special armour" or not. Sorryto say but I doubt there are many more people like you. Every real gamer uses windows as linux for gaming is ######, and why would you not buy a game just because of a special feature you won't get anymore. It's not like the black armour gives you any advantage....
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    uwe should get totaly rid of the SE version after the launch and lift the regular version price to 40$ .... that would increase some preorders :p
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Why have SE after launch? There's no more Alpha, and those who want to show gratitude can still become Constie. Black Armor is hardly worth 20 bucks.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    The general opinion is that we bought the SE for the alpha/beta, early access to the map making tools and a 'I'll pay $20 more for all the fun had back in the day with NS and to support the devs'.

Black armour is just... cool, but not the deciding factor. You'll find plenty of custom skins later after release to choose from plenty of custom colour armour.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726199:date=Sep 5 2009, 02:26 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Sep 5 2009, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->uwe should get totaly rid of the SE version after the launch and lift the regular version price to 40$ .... that would increase some preorders :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would say $30 for regular version after launch...it's still really cheap for a game, and would reward the people who preordered for trusting in a quality title (except most of us got the SE...oh well, we can still feel smug)

edit:
    To me, $20 says "we're not confident that our game will be successful on its own merits, so here, you can have it really cheap too!"
    this is how I see it in general - I have more confidence in UWE than that, which is why I think they could easily do $30, and why I was willing to pay $40 for SE (in addition to the early mapping tools)
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Flayra will not leave us special editioners high and draw, be patient
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726197:date=Sep 5 2009, 09:06 AM:name=Zamma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zamma @ Sep 5 2009, 09:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Every real gamer uses windows as linux for gaming is ######<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check the facts before posting.
    <a href="http://appdb.winehq.org/" target="_blank">http://appdb.winehq.org/</a>

No need to run antivirus monitor because the system is better designed (= better performance), higher performance, easier to maintain, update and configure. If "real gamer" implies technically illiterate, I'm happy I'm not a "real" gamer.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
  • jamieshepherdjamieshepherd Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68693Members
    edited September 2009
    Wow, by the sounds of it NOT having Black Armor is going to be more of a rarity than having it! :)
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    Well, whatever the case, I'm proud to have my black armor.
    Thanks guys. You deserve it.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726310:date=Sep 6 2009, 09:42 AM:name=jamieshepherd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jamieshepherd @ Sep 6 2009, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, by the sounds of it NOT having Black Armor is going to be more of a rarity than having it! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It will lead to some interesting game-dialog for sure. (i got green... it's gonna be so cool to confuse the enemy... all they see all game is black-colored?shaded?-marines and then along comes the ns1 green guy with hmg a-blazin... hopefully it will confuse them into hesitating for an easy kill :P)

You know by all rights, the green camo should of been the special classic edition, and the black being the new standard-ns2-camo... although if only a few people have the green, then it will be like that... the green being the exclusive colors and the black being the standard (because everyone but me got the black version)...zzz lol
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726280:date=Sep 6 2009, 02:19 AM:name=borsuk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (borsuk @ Sep 6 2009, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Check the facts before posting.
    <a href="http://appdb.winehq.org/" target="_blank">http://appdb.winehq.org/</a>

No need to run antivirus monitor because the system is better designed (= better performance), higher performance, easier to maintain, update and configure. If "real gamer" implies technically illiterate, I'm happy I'm not a "real" gamer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would like to stop you both right here because this might get ugly fast. Yes, Linux <i>can</i> be a good platform for gaming. The issue is that is not a platform with a large enough user base to warrant spending resources porting a title specifically for it. Especially since many Linux users have Windows as a bootable option on their rig.

<!--quoteo(post=1726194:date=Sep 5 2009, 02:43 AM:name=borsuk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (borsuk @ Sep 5 2009, 02:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's how it backfires.

I certainly won't preorder special edition in hopes that there may be no DRM and the game will work on Linux.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What I am really interested in is how UWE is going to port NS2 over to Linux or OSX if NS2 is going to be integrated with Steam, a windows-only service.

I honestly don't know why you don't have a console or windows installed (as dual boot) if you are using Linux. It would be much easier for you.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726479:date=Sep 8 2009, 02:29 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Sep 8 2009, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Steam, a windows-only service.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    From all that I have read and understood so far.

Steamworks is not Steam itself

Steam is the windows based content delivery service that you download all your games via.
    Steamworks is the integrated features that you can include into your client at retail, OEM or steam delivery method.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726483:date=Sep 8 2009, 01:46 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Sep 8 2009, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From all that I have read and understood so far.

Steamworks is not Steam itself

Steam is the windows based content delivery service that you download all your games via.
    Steamworks is the integrated features that you can include into your client at retail, OEM or steam delivery method.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would like to point out that I don't have intimate knowledge about Steamworks or Steam. That said, it is possible for Steamworks to serve as additional DRM and their matchmaking/server platform. Which are pretty big deals. Given how time constrained the team is, I would imagine they would take advantage of those free services and that <i>may</i> impact the fluidity of how people play with each other. In addition, Linux or OSX might not have friends lists unless they build their own system for that. At a certain point, why bother with Steamworks when you are doing everything yourself... (aside from DRM)

What I am trying to get at, is that Steamworks and Steam might make things awkward later on.
  • Risky SalmonRisky Salmon Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67680Members
    You could probably mod it in.
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726197:date=Sep 5 2009, 12:06 AM:name=Zamma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zamma @ Sep 5 2009, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not like the black armour gives you any advantage....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes it does, everyone knows if you have black armor when you close your eyes you become invisible at night time.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Isn't it obvious? thats why my red car is fast
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    Yeah dude, when you wear black armor and crouch, you go stealth.
    Ever hear of knights in the past that wore black armor?
    Of course not.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    what about the Black Knight?
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726811:date=Sep 10 2009, 11:36 AM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Sep 10 2009, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what about the Black Knight?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *Skulk bites marine's arm off*
    Marine: 'Tis but a scratch!

More seriously I just realized I may have misinterpreted the original question. I think you <b>will</b> still be able to <b>wear</b> the black armor after the game is released. I <b>don't</b> think you will be able to <b>buy</b> the black armor after the release. The devs may have different plans than that, but this is what I see happening considering how constellation works.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Maybe there will be servers that give black armor a kaharaa-cloak lol
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726874:date=Sep 10 2009, 07:44 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Sep 10 2009, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe there will be servers that give black armor a kaharaa-cloak lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    nah, just a built in jetpack, and a scanner sweep every time you press the jump key. Oh and a rocket propelled knife.
  • FuNiOnZFuNiOnZ Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26112Members
    I've always thought that it would help preorders if we actually got to see this black armor before we slap down $40 bucks for it