Google Chrome OS

RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Been a long time coming.</div><a href="http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html" target="_blank">http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/int...-chrome-os.html</a>

A lot of people I know have just been waiting for the day when Google would try their hand at an operating system. After skimming the write up, this is the real deal, not some Web-based-OS crap.

They're going to focus on x86 hardware (Intel, PC stuff), and ARM chipsets (ARM is a big name in single board computing and for pet projects and the like. I think a lot of cellphones use ARM processors), targeting the embedded community.

Comments

• EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    edited July 2009
    This thing sounds like a winner for netbook - but I wonder.. will it be able to play 3d games on desktops?
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716391:date=Jul 8 2009, 02:28 PM:name=Epidemic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Epidemic @ Jul 8 2009, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716391"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This thing sounds like a winner for netbook - but I wonder.. will it be able to play 3d games on desktops?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, that's the only reason I run Windows now.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    When it comes out I will install it on my netbook.

But even there, I will still probably set up a dual boot with windows as a just in case.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    unless Google can come up with decent enough DirectX emulation or reverse engineering, then I doubt they will make muchheadway on gaming desktops.

Netbooks however, people just pretty much want the web, and dont care what OS they use. I see Google doing well in the netbook world.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    Android didn't take off. Neither did chrome (though I use it). It would have to be something really special for it to take any real market share as an OS.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1716424:date=Jul 9 2009, 07:56 AM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Jul 9 2009, 07:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Android didn't take off. Neither did chrome (though I use it). It would have to be something really special for it to take any real market share as an OS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Android is slowly gaining traction. HTC is the only one that has got something passable to market thusfar.

--Scythe--
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    It would. You've got Windows for mainstreamy stuff, you've got Linux for not-mainstreamy stuff and you've got Mac for artsy stuff. Where would a Chrome OS wedge itself into this?
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716426:date=Jul 8 2009, 10:59 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 8 2009, 10:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would. You've got Windows for mainstreamy stuff, you've got Linux for not-mainstreamy stuff and you've got Mac for artsy stuff. Where would a Chrome OS wedge itself into this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The free-and-easy-to-use stuff?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1716426:date=Jul 8 2009, 04:59 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 8 2009, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would. You've got Windows for mainstreamy stuff, you've got Linux for not-mainstreamy stuff and you've got Mac for artsy stuff. Where would a Chrome OS wedge itself into this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Netbooks? As they've stated?
    Assuming it IS easy to use. Otherwise it overlaps with Linux. Same with netbooks.
  • ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
    OT:

<a href="http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/99279/mooninites.jpg" target="_blank">http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/99279/mooninites.jpg</a>

That is just epic.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1716426:date=Jul 8 2009, 04:59 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 8 2009, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would. You've got Windows for mainstreamy stuff, you've got Linux for not-mainstreamy stuff and you've got Mac for artsy stuff. Where would a Chrome OS wedge itself into this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Netbooks that cost $100 less because no Windows purchase. That could be a pretty big deal.

<!--quoteo(post=1716434:date=Jul 8 2009, 05:35 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 8 2009, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Assuming it IS easy to use. Otherwise it overlaps with Linux. Same with netbooks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Of course it will be easy to use. In fact, if Chrome is anything to go by, it will be infuriatingly simplistic for folks like us. Great for grandmothers though.
    In that case it does have a leg up on Linux, yes.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Based on the seemless integration of the Andriod with google apps back and forth, it will be quite functional.

However based on experience in that situation as well, an active net connection will be required to exploit the Google OS to it's full capabilities.
    And it may also collect usage statistics and bend over backwards if China wants it to have censorship features.
    <!--quoteo(post=1716444:date=Jul 9 2009, 09:50 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 9 2009, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And it may also collect usage statistics and bend over backwards if China wants it to have censorship features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The censorship features though would only apply to China flavours of the OS.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    Hmph, I'm slightly interested in the ARM processor stuff. A lightweight and standard open source OS for embedded systems would be pretty big and perhaps help to create higher level languages closer to the hardware. Chrome OS could run vending machines, automatic car washers, RFID readers and what not. Firmware updates could be provided via a Chrome OS API. It could make it easier to develop in the industry, at least.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    Google Blog: "[...] They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. [...]"

In other words: Hey, we copy all your files to our servers!

No thanks.
    <!--quoteo(post=1716449:date=Jul 9 2009, 10:50 AM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Jul 9 2009, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Google Blog: "[...] They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. [...]"

In other words: Hey, we copy all your files to our servers!

No thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They have also stated somewhere (at one point) that they plan to create a system that all processing happens online, they've done that quite extensively with gmail, docs and other services they offer.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    I know, that's why I don't use these services.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    but cloud computing is the wave of the fuuuuture!
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I personally have the feeling that Direct X won't be exclusive to Microsoft for the much larger foreseeable future with the amount of pressure being put on Microsoft about their closed software, with a lot of political support for open source from many governments across the world. I think Microsoft will eventually be told to share.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    Why would they be forced to share when there are already open source alternatives? OpenGL/OpenAL/etc.

As much as I love the open source movement, a company shouldn't be forced to disclose the source code of their product to the public just because.

Besides we'll be using VMs in 10 years anyway.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1716627:date=Jul 9 2009, 07:51 PM:name=DOOManiac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DOOManiac @ Jul 9 2009, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Besides we'll be using VMs in 10 years anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That will need to run on some light weight operating system. :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1716656:date=Jul 9 2009, 10:12 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Jul 9 2009, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That will need to run on some light weight operating system. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I knew there was a reason to keep my DOS 6.22 disks.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716619:date=Jul 9 2009, 11:12 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 9 2009, 11:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally have the feeling that Direct X won't be exclusive to Microsoft for the much larger foreseeable future with the amount of pressure being put on Microsoft about their closed software, with a lot of political support for open source from many governments across the world. I think Microsoft will eventually be told to share.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

riiiiiight.

That being said, there was some talk a while back about Vista locking down drivers that weren't allowed by Microsoft. Any one know if this is true?

<!--quoteo(post=1716627:date=Jul 9 2009, 11:51 PM:name=DOOManiac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DOOManiac @ Jul 9 2009, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would they be forced to share when there are already open source alternatives? OpenGL/OpenAL/etc.

As much as I love the open source movement, a company shouldn't be forced to disclose the source code of their product to the public just because.

Besides we'll be using VMs in 10 years anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe because most of those drivers are backlogged with nasty frameworks? Also, DirectX, while perhaps a little less friendly, lets you access the hardware at a lower level giving more room for optimizations.

That being said, DirectX is also a huge pain to code for and has its own stupid quirks.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716627:date=Jul 10 2009, 12:51 AM:name=DOOManiac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DOOManiac @ Jul 10 2009, 12:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would they be forced to share when there are already open source alternatives? OpenGL/OpenAL/etc.

Besides we'll be using VMs in 10 years anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I got nothing against keeping hold of your own stuff, heck I wouldn't share it! Although I hear a lot of whine from developers and keep an eye on the market share and with the way the economy is spiralling etc. it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, especially after Microsoft being forced to give European Windows 7 buyers an option between a set of internet browsers and is not allowed to automatically install their own product on their own software. Trying to think along that logic if internet explorer being shipped with Windows is causing anti-competition for browsing software, then direct x being shipped and only available to Windows can only be seen as anti-competitive towards the choices developers have to develop their games successfully and affordably across multiple platforms. I'm probably wrong but that's how it looks to me based on that court ruling and if that is so it's only a matter of time until Microsoft get their entire software range picked to pieces under silly laws and rulings and so forth.