xbox 360?

Elite110Elite110 Join Date: 2009-06-24 Member: 67921Members
edited June 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">will it be on a console?</div>Right now it runs on Windows but we also plan on fully supporting OS X, Linux and Xbox 360

from: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/engine/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/engine/</a>

it says there that that it might be on the 360 so sweet no needing a kickass computer

but when will it be released on it

Comments

• Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    IF it does it would be after the pc release.

edit: but honestly if they do port it to the 360 good luck with commander mode.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    most likely no time soon.

In fact, NS2 will probably never come out for a console (RTS on a console? I will pass). That page is specifically about the NS2 engine.
  • Elite110Elite110 Join Date: 2009-06-24 Member: 67921Members
    it says it there just before the blog part
  • Elite110Elite110 Join Date: 2009-06-24 Member: 67921Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1713840:date=Jun 24 2009, 06:28 PM:name=Frogg2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frogg2 @ Jun 24 2009, 06:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713840"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->edit: but honestly if they do port it to the 360 good luck with commander mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ya makes sense then you might as well buy an rts game cause it would be the same
  • fuyuki359fuyuki359 Join Date: 2008-08-06 Member: 64762Members
    Hum...it could work in a couple of ways, let take Dead Space and RE5 real time inventory access for example.

I don't own a console but I'll try my best figuring out the best possible way to make this works.

Left analog stick will be use to navigate in the minimap. Right analog stick will be use to scroll around the over-head map. Maybe one of the 4 button on the right can be use to drop items, one could be for selection, and one for pinting way points.

The arrows buttons on the left of the controls will be use to navigate around the commander menu (slower than a PC hotkeys but it'll just have to do)

And finally I guess left trigger to go to health/ammo requesting marine, and right analog to go to order requesting marine.

...at this point just might as well buy a computer
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    They have a desire to release NS2, the game, on the Xbox 360. Essentially, no work has been done on that version yet (if any) so it would not be coming out for some time after the PC version if it ever did.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    i hope they dont. Its really hard working around microsoft
  • skidzskidz Join Date: 2009-06-25 Member: 67923Members
    Not to mention the lack of mods etc..

I really think this game will be best for the PC.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    they should release it for nintendo DS.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited June 2009
    man i hope the UWE Team don't cut any good gameplay elements for that shi* consoles...
    i got one console, but i hate shooters for console, its like driving a car with the mouth.
  • Nima_Nima_ Join Date: 2007-08-30 Member: 62083Members
    Haha @ releasing on DS, at least if they did.. you'd be able to control the commander mode correctly.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited June 2009
    they should just create a peripheral for consoles made for precision movements, like the mouse is for the pc. the only reason they don't make mice for consoles (from a, let's say, lifestyle perspective) is that consoles are a more casual living room/couch entertainment (read: no desk), while with pc's you sit on a chair in front of a table. from a marketing perspective, the mouse also has a connotation with office <b>work</b>, technical ######, and nerds. hard to sell that.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2009
    No offense to the 360 or consoles in general, but the game is simply too complex and in-depth to work within the limited control structures of a Console.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714163:date=Jun 26 2009, 01:47 PM:name=Daxx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daxx @ Jun 26 2009, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No offense to the 360 or consoles in general, but the game is simply too complex and in-depth to work within the limited control structures of a Console.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe not when this is released --> <a href="http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal" target="_blank">http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal</a>.
  • PantZmanPantZman Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67540Members
    For example;
    Scroll with left stick, move cursor/mousepointer with right then have menus pop up if you push the sticks.
    Select buildings to construct with LT & LR and weapons, medpacks and ammo with LB & RB

I could see that work but I would rather use a PC to play.

I hope they dont let Xbox and PC gamers play on same server (maybe add that as feature to some servers).
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714201:date=Jun 26 2009, 02:11 PM:name=PantZman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PantZman @ Jun 26 2009, 02:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For example;
    Scroll with left stick, move cursor/mousepointer with right then have menus pop up if you push the sticks.
    Select buildings to construct with LT & LR and weapons, medpacks and ammo with LB & RB

I could see that work but I would rather use a PC to play.

I hope they dont let Xbox and PC gamers play on same server (maybe add that as feature to some servers).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game would have to be certified by Games for Windows Live and use their system *shudder* in order to have cross platform play.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714189:date=Jun 26 2009, 02:45 PM:name=Superfly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Superfly @ Jun 26 2009, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714189"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe not when this is released --> <a href="http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal" target="_blank">http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you imagine playing as a skulk with project natal? you'll get fed up from jumping on the same spot for an hour or so..

edit;
    this is how you're gonna look playing ns: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CcE5YasUic" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CcE5YasUic</a>

:D
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1714189:date=Jun 26 2009, 02:45 PM:name=Superfly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Superfly @ Jun 26 2009, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714189"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe not when this is released --> <a href="http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal" target="_blank">http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Clarification: current incarnation of consoles. They could and <b>should</b> develop further.
  • Termy58Termy58 Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58102Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714163:date=Jun 26 2009, 06:47 PM:name=Daxx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daxx @ Jun 26 2009, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No offense to the 360 or consoles in general, but the game is simply too complex and in-depth to work within the limited control structures of a Console.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what in the world are you talking about
  • Termy58Termy58 Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58102Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714189:date=Jun 26 2009, 07:45 PM:name=Superfly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Superfly @ Jun 26 2009, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714189"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe not when this is released --> <a href="http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal" target="_blank">http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this is the most redundant idea that has ever been posted for a first person shooter do you guys even know anything about consoles or ever touched one in your cave
    My cave happens to be very comfy, thank-you-very-much!
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Imho trying to port NS to an console is like the worst idea imaginable...
    Just look at it this way:

What game genres have the hardest time on consoles?

RTS and FPS

And no it doesn't count how well you aim with your little joysticks on your xbox controller, mouse+keyboard is superior for these genres.

So let's take a look at NS... it is an RTS/FPS hybrid..
    Basicly they would be trying to port a hybrid of the two genres that don't fit the console controllers at all to a console.

Sorry but i don't see that happening anytime soon and even if it happens i'm pretty sure it would end up really bad...
    And there certainly won't be crossplatform gameplay because PC users would just destroy xbox players.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    It doesnt really matter if the controls for PC are 'superior'. Just remember that everybody else you're playing against will be behind the same controlscheme, just as long as they dont add something horrible such as having the cross platform servers.
    Well, no, it does matter that the PC control scheme is <b>superior</b> (no quotations, it's a fact) to console control schemes for the FPS and RTS genres, because consoles <b>do</b> have the hardest time on these genres. rebirth really hit the nail on the head with his post.

...Well, it would have mattered before console FPSs became so main-stream. But now you have the console-FPS generation who are <b>used to</b> their low-precision slow-action auto-aiming. The poor children don't know any better. So yeah the above argument isn't too relevant in today's market.

However, I don't think you have a corresponding console-RTS demographic as yet.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1714345:date=Jun 27 2009, 03:49 PM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jun 27 2009, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesnt really matter if the controls for PC are 'superior'. Just remember that everybody else you're playing against will be behind the same controlscheme, just as long as they dont add something horrible such as having the cross platform servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It does matter because gameplay gets dumped down to match the controlls.
    Just take the highest ranked RTS game on consoles as an example: Halo Wars

One could expect that a game that gets rated "among the best of it's kind on a platform" is pretty good.
    But the truth is that Halo Wars sucks compared to most other RTS games on PC. Even the most medicore RTS games on PC got more depth than Halo Wars.

It's dumped down so much that most serious RTS PC players won't even bother with it. There are like 10 units total and like 10 upgrades for them because the xbox controller can't handle the kind of micromanagment most PC RTS games usually require. No matter how much you finetune the controlls, there will allways be certain advantages/disadvantages to some controll types.

If the xbox gets a decent USB mouse/kb support than it could work, but it doesn't have something like that and i doubt that will change anytime soon. So UWE would have to either dump down the gameplay to match the console controlls or come up with some totaly insane innovative control sheme that most people won't understand.

But under current conditions it would be like a team of people in wheelchairs trying to play soccer. (no offense against retarded people but some things just don't fit and i needed a matching example)
    And just to make it clear: I own a Wii and a Xbox myself so i'm not some kind of "PC fanboy" i just strongly believe that some game genres work way better on some platform compared to another platform.
    <!--quoteo(post=1714449:date=Jun 28 2009, 01:32 PM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Jun 28 2009, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the xbox gets a decent USB mouse/kb support than it could work, but it doesn't have something like that and i doubt that will change anytime soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah not gonna happen. it's because, as i said before, there's a different mindset. consoles are a livingroom / couch game, which means no tables, so there's nowhere to put a keyboard* and mouse. However, maybe they could use a scroll ball-type mouse feature on the controller, or a touch surface that acts like a scroll ball. you'd get most of the control and precision you desired. i know that back in the day, I had friends that played PC FPSs on scroll ball mice. just ergonomics you gotta think about then.
    *not as important, imo.
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    going to be retarted on console. If console players are going to play with PC players, they are going to get rocked by the PC players, because PC players have the capability of modifying their game, changing game settings and graphics to make the game run more smoothly, or simply make it easier to see models in dark areas. "lightgamma 0," "brightness 99," etc.

Plus, how do you expect to leap or bunny hop correctly without a mouse? Lol, that would be a challenge using a joystick.