New Onos footage released

Comments

• SkydancerSkydancer Join Date: 2003-03-28 Member: 14959Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715669:date=Jul 4 2009, 04:20 PM:name=Zamma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zamma @ Jul 4 2009, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I am extremely disapointed in the effort in the ONOS movie. You may have not brought it out. No offence UWE team, but the fact is. If I was going to promote this game to my friends I WOULD link them to the teaser but I would definately not show them that onos video.

Wow lets look at what you did? Play two animations and rotate the model. Cool story. I'm honestly saying this hoping you take it onboard to help you guys and I'm not being an ungrateful prick or anything.
    The video is poorly done and far far FAR too short.

If you want to promote the game better add something asthetically cool, such as the onos breaking through a door. Or even just a show off of the aliens abilities.

I'm very disapointed.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I suppose you would have been disappointed anyway from the lack of footage if they didn't dare put that video up. :) It's the game that's important, not a small community teaser.
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    Love the footage, I like that there is a nice mix here of a quadruped and a lumbering biped. It would have been nice to see something more "in game" even if scripted in the cinematic editor, but I can't complain (unlike some it seems).

Also really happy to hear that Devour has gone. The ONLY good thing about devour was the rush to kill an Onos when it had eaten a heavy, that rush should be transferred to kill the Onos disabling a building or such like. Taking people out of the game is simply not popular, look at the backlash things like the sandman have got from the TF2 community.
  • ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715673:date=Jul 4 2009, 09:38 AM:name=Skydancer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skydancer @ Jul 4 2009, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I suppose you would have been disappointed anyway from the lack of footage if they didn't dare put that video up. :) It's the game that's important, not a small community teaser.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, I wouldn't cared if they hand't brought anything out.

To promote the idea is to bring out GOOD looking content, but instead they release this... Rather not have a video at all tbh.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    *you may disagree, but be nice about it. You have been warned* --Comprox

It's only mean if it isn't true. -- ZeroFate
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715694:date=Jul 4 2009, 12:48 PM:name=Zamma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zamma @ Jul 4 2009, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, I wouldn't cared if they hand't brought anything out.

To promote the idea is to bring out GOOD looking content, but instead they release this... Rather not have a video at all tbh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Really? Just because it was short, you don't think it was any good?
    The animation was great, textures crisp, music was good, and you could even sort of see the Onos musculature moving.

If this sort of media-morsel is so disappointing to you, I'd suggest you amuse yourself elsewhere till release.
    No you don't understand. People who want to learn about this game and want to be edged into buying NS2, they don't want to see some "alien" just running around in a 30 second video.

They want to see "cool" stuff. They want to see how the game works and what the alien does. They want gameplay and physics shown off.

All the devs did (and no offence to them, I am just voicing my opinion) was open model viewer and play an animation. Im sorry but as nice as the actual model is, to the public who don't know NS, that means nothing.

Just imagine if the "meet the Heavy" video was just a Heavy man model spinning his gun. With the model rotating. Would this make you go: "wow this game looks sick, I've got to get this!"?

No.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I understand that uwe can't pull off some kind of "meet the onos" video similar to the tf2 trailers and I'm completely fine with these kind of videos as an oldskool ns player and fan, but I have to agree with Zamma that it isn't spectacular at all and that these kind of videos don't help to get the attention of players that are new to the ns universe.
  • pellaajapellaaja Join Date: 2004-02-07 Member: 26198Members
    They don't need to promote ns2. Players will flood pooptube and other sites with ns videos from alpha and beta. They will come, one way or the other. ;)
    The game is simply not yet at the point of having massive PR campaigns. This teaser was aimed mostly at the community people.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715710:date=Jul 4 2009, 02:48 PM:name=Skydancer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skydancer @ Jul 4 2009, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715710"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game is simply not yet at the point of having massive PR campaigns. This teaser was aimed mostly at the community people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hmmm... I dunno about that. If it was aimed "mostly" at us, why would they have IGN feature it?
    No, I think UWE wanted the masses to see it. Which I understand why they did the Onos: IGN first listed the Teaser video and then the Onos video, basically to give people who never played NS a better clue as to what the Onos is.
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715628:date=Jul 4 2009, 05:10 AM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Jul 4 2009, 05:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1)
    An idea has occurred to me upon seeing this video. Devour is gone yet the Onos seems to have some pincers on the sides of its mouth perfectly shaped for picking up marines and "flight"...ing them across the room. Anyone else get the same impression? That this new Onos spits instead of swallowing? So its like Devour except that you are still IN the game and perhaps not losing life but being carried away from you team helplessly shooting into a wall of armor, only to be gang banged by a pack of skulks wherever the Onos decides to drop you.

Ifs that true then woohoo! That was on my NS2 wishlist since a looong time ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If that is the truth - oh boy. What a great alternative to devour! Their hp stays the same, but the onos is limited to basic abilities (bone shield, maybe gore). The onos needs to get out of there and drop the marine of fast! At the same time, the marine has visibility of what's going on, passing on +voice to the teamates. And he can drop his weapons if he feels like he has no chance of survival ^^, or maybe hold onto it to fight the good fight once he's released ;).

Can you imagine the model of an onos carrying away a light marine? The speak icon flickering on and off as he gets dragged away? Cool!

A heavy armor marine? Dropping the HA off a huge cliff, smelter pit, or in front of a group of furious kharaa? Cool!

A jetpacker? The jetpack emiting the flame sprites as he's getting carried off? Haha! You gotta let go of him in front of a bunch of OCS and lerk gas so that he doesn't go flying off... Cool!

Consider this devs. If this isn't in the game - what an alternative to devour! Devour was cheap in a sense, but very important in countering high-tech marines. I usually don't post my ideas because I highly trust in UWE, but please consider it... :D

See ya in game!
    <!--quoteo(post=1715714:date=Jul 4 2009, 08:45 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jul 4 2009, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Hmmm... I dunno about that. If it was aimed "mostly" at us, why would they have IGN feature it?
    No, I think UWE wanted the masses to see it. Which I understand why they did the Onos: IGN first listed the Teaser video and then the Onos video, basically to give people who never played NS a better clue as to what the Onos is.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's true though that it doesn't offer enough for it to be more than a little bite of the game.
  • frostymoosefrostymoose Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20799Members
    Better that they're working on the game instead of elaborate promotional material.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715715:date=Jul 4 2009, 08:46 PM:name=Commie Spy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commie Spy @ Jul 4 2009, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If that is the truth - oh boy. What a great alternative to devour! Their hp stays the same, but the onos is limited to basic abilities (bone shield, maybe gore). The onos needs to get out of there and drop the marine of fast! At the same time, the marine has visibility of what's going on, passing on +voice to the teamates. And he can drop his weapons if he feels like he has no chance of survival ^^, or maybe hold onto it to fight the good fight once he's released ;).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just picking up and even throwing seems kind of weak as a whole ability. Perhaps Onos "nibbles" at the marine while picked up, doing damage over time and carrying the marine away much like Devour, but without rendering him helpless. That sounds like a good compromise.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1715700:date=Jul 4 2009, 12:01 PM:name=Zamma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zamma @ Jul 4 2009, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No you don't understand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wrong. It's you who doesn't understand.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does it still have charge? If so, marines just HAVE TO "latch" on this cow's train fender (LOL) and be made into a wall ornament!!
  • DarkFrostDarkFrost Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I am actually speachless that people think a release this video, showing some nice animations, was a waste.

I am even more so that people are comparing it to team fortress 2's marketing.

This _is not_ marketing.

It looked to be a release of a tech video, showing of the model animation capability they have. Its not meant to be a video going "Hi, I'm the onos olololz!"

Valve have alot of money, Valve have alot of people. It'd be nice if unknown worlds had those resources too.

But hey, even with all their money, and people, valve still released a substandard game, whose predecessor out classed it in every possible way. BUT it was marketed right!
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1715730:date=Jul 4 2009, 05:08 PM:name=DarkFrost)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkFrost @ Jul 4 2009, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715730"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am actually speachless that people think a release this video, showing some nice animations, was a waste.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some people just live to complain /shrug
    <!--quoteo(post=1715726:date=Jul 4 2009, 03:26 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Jul 4 2009, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wrong. It's you who doesn't understand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please back up your argument with some reason.

The fact is that NS is coming to the stage where it should be hyped up as much as possible to bring in sales and to build a large starting community (The general success of any game).
    If the video wasn't made for marketing, then there isn't much point to it. In that 30seconds video, they showed two animations. I mean come on guys. Are you really wowed by that content. It's an onos running and rawring. In fact it's pathetic. Why waste the time making a video for such a pointless thing.

I've been fairly pleased with every other release in terms of how the game development is going, but this wasn't a development video, and if it was, then it's still just as bad (due to lack of content and explanation).

Therefore it must be a marketing video (it's even labelled as a trailer, and it's put on a gaming website to gain views), yet it doesn't market the game at all. In any way.

I support the devs completely, but I'm giving some advice here. The making of this movie was a waste of time, when instead they could have spent that on real work.

Basically: If you want to advertise the game, do it properly.
    OR
    If you want to show game development, do it properly.

Don't waste time on crap.

/rant
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    It's clear that you have strong feelings on the issue, Zamma, but there's no need to be quite so blunt about it. The team will do whatever they feel is best, and it's likely that they know what they're doing, given that they already developed and released NS1, which I recall being quite successful. They aren't obligated to market the game the way you want them to.

Also, I would point out that while this video doesn't show a great deal that's new and dazzling (although I think it's pretty cool), it is the first in a series, and given that the videos that follow are likely to be the first look at the new, upgraded aliens, I'd say that was pretty big stuff.
    Insane, you've got me wrong.

I'm a very opinionated person. However, the last few posts (argueably going up on the "bluntness" scale) were all in retaliation to someone elses post.

I have a lot of faith in the devs and I did love the teaser. I'm not saying they should do it MY way. I'm giving them open advice from a CONSUMER.
    If they want this game to be good or sell, then they really should be listening to the consumers.
    I really am just looking at this too logically clearly.

But yea, don't get me wrong. The last posts were straight replies to the homies.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    PRIIIMAL SCREEEEAAAAMMMMMMM apparently :/
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715738:date=Jul 4 2009, 05:57 PM:name=Zamma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zamma @ Jul 4 2009, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please back up your argument with some reason.

The fact is that NS is coming to the stage where it should be hyped up as much as possible to bring in sales and to build a large starting community (The general success of any game).
    If the video wasn't made for marketing, then there isn't much point to it. In that 30seconds video, they showed two animations. I mean come on guys. Are you really wowed by that content. It's an onos running and rawring. In fact it's pathetic. Why waste the time making a video for such a pointless thing.

I've been fairly pleased with every other release in terms of how the game development is going, but this wasn't a development video, and if it was, then it's still just as bad (due to lack of content and explanation).

Therefore it must be a marketing video (it's even labelled as a trailer, and it's put on a gaming website to gain views), yet it doesn't market the game at all. In any way.

I support the devs completely, but I'm giving some advice here. The making of this movie was a waste of time, when instead they could have spent that on real work.

Basically: If you want to advertise the game, do it properly.
    OR
    If you want to show game development, do it properly.

Don't waste time on crap.

/rant<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I forgot you were a marketing supreme genius, Zamma. Your signature clearly gives you complete sway in your debate. The video isn't pointless, to you it might be but you obviously expect a huge gameplay teaser showing off every aspect of the game. Maybe you should come and to the Marketing PR for UWE seeing as you seem so wise on the subject of when the game should be marketed and hyped. I'm glad that you support the devs completely, though.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1715748:date=Jul 4 2009, 11:30 PM:name=Zamma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zamma @ Jul 4 2009, 11:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Insane, you've got me wrong.

I'm a very opinionated person. However, the last few posts (argueably going up on the "bluntness" scale) were all in retaliation to someone elses post.

I have a lot of faith in the devs and I did love the teaser. I'm not saying they should do it MY way. I'm giving them open advice from a CONSUMER.
    If they want this game to be good or sell, then they really should be listening to the consumers.
    I really am just looking at this too logically clearly.

But yea, don't get me wrong. The last posts were straight replies to the homies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would you feel more comfortable to know that they have hired a PR company? I'm sure they'll be applying their expertise soon.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    Video games aren't like other products. Sure, having great PR right from the get-go would be nice, however NWE probably lacks the budget of your EA's, Blizzard's, etc. Due to finances they may be forced to release NS2 and hope it's a good game while counting on word of mouth, positive reviews, a solid playerbase to generate income that can then be used to target gamers who have yet to her about NWE or NS2.

Not to mention they can still have great success with those little 30 second clips or trailers. I'd imagine that right now the goal of NS2's marketing is to remind older and much more casual NS1 players that NS2 is in development and releasing "soon." This will in turn generate word of mouth. In fact, I bet the man hours spend producing that 30 second Onos clip were extremely efficient if we were able to measure the amount of people who've been reminded that NS2 exists, or who have been introduced to NS2 for the first time.

Sure, those who don't know of NS1 aren't going to be excited for NS2 by that clip. Not every piece of marketing is about getting people pumped up and ready to buy. Sometimes it's just about getting your brand out there and reminding people you're alive. Plus, I'm sure the alpha and beta will provide many hours of filmed gameplay, all without costing NWE money or time.

Really, with video games it all comes down to "is the game good or not?" All the marketing in the world can't overcome poor reviews and bad word of mouth. A good game, though, can establish a playerbase and grow from there.

But hey, I bet you already knew all of this since you're clearly a marketing pro.
    edited July 2009
    Please let me re-itterate. I never claimed to be a marketing genius. I never claimed anything.

Looking at the video, it serves no "useful" purpose. It does not hit any key areas in marketing or in developmental updates. So in my eyes, it is a waste of time.
    My logic is fine.

Dux, I don't know what your "problem" is with me. You clearly have some grudge as there is a very subjective touch to your writing. I've never done anything to you and infact you don't even know me.
    My signature just displays what "I did" in a brief context. It's pathetic you'd make an attack on that on an online gaming forum.
    I never claimed to be a marketing genius. Don't pluck up ######. I'm allowed to have an opinion on something as well as you. Atleast I back my opinons properly instead of just saying random rubbish.
    Seriously, for a dev yourself you show horrific attitude. Grow up.
    Also your post didn't back up your argument at all. Still.

If you think I'm the only one with this opinion, then you are wrong, just to take some quotes:

"saba : ***, an onos running. amazing."
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ok you two. Stop it, now. Not even an "ok, sorry" post. Just stop, please.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    there are two types of adverts. One that tries and convinces you to buy the product and one that just tells you that the product exists. I think UWE is just going with the latter. Nothing wrong with that right?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited July 2009
    @BadMouth
    In business, the former is a good advertisement while the latter is a bad advertisement.

@Zamma
    In my mind it wasn't a trailer or teaser or even promotional material. It was just... media. Comparable to a screen shot or concept art or render.
    Although, it didn't help that it was sort of presented in a promotional way by IGN. So in that sense, I agree. But personally, I've got no problem with it, except that it *was* rather anti-climactic.
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715777:date=Jul 5 2009, 08:19 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jul 5 2009, 08:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there are two types of adverts. One that tries and convinces you to buy the product and one that just tells you that the product exists. I think UWE is just going with the latter. Nothing wrong with that right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed! As the game isn't even ready yet (not even alpha ready), it would be difficult to advertise the game with its full mechanics and gameplay and graphics and list goes on...

I'm quite happy with this Onos trailer (yes I'm also disappointed, but they don't have resources to make huge promote video yet). I'm exited how the new Onos jumps forward instead of running. As it seems, its using knuckles on his fore 'arms' and this prevents any running. I like how UWE has clearly put some thought on the anatomy.