NS2: Alpha Predictions

124»

Comments

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1715476:date=Jul 3 2009, 12:30 PM:name=Karba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karba @ Jul 3 2009, 12:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think releasing tools without the game engine to test the results is a bit weird.
    I predict that with the tools will come with some sort of in-game alpha engine to see the results, especially for the map editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the original NSTR is anything to go on, these tools are likely to be released with a stripped-down version of the game, that isn't playable, but allows developers to test functionality.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Bring back the box room!
  • efektzefektz Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23665Members, Constellation
    alpha is the perfect time to start developing cheats.....

lol jk
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm guessing that this will be the "NS2TR". All the tools necessary to start building maps and seeing how they look in-engine, along with all the models/textures to view in your level. I imagine they will have to include a basic commander implementation on both sides (just for viewing/performance reasons on maps), and DI. It would be important to see how your lighting/geometry interacts with the DI before finalizing your level.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Why would they release the alpha to a small group, a minority, that got the black camouflage... hell it should be open to anyone that wants to play because we gotta get those bugs squashed...

All i'm saying is i hope that after the beta comes out... that i don't see random crashes because that would suck... and prove that those bugs weren't detected in the Alpha.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Releasing an alpha to all and sundry is unlikely to result in a larger amount of quality bug testing.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715476:date=Jul 3 2009, 08:30 PM:name=Karba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karba @ Jul 3 2009, 08:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think releasing tools without the game engine to test the results is a bit weird.
    I predict that with the tools will come with some sort of in-game alpha engine to see the results, especially for the map editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, not necessarily. See, they've stated that the tools/editor will be <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG" target="_blank">WYSIWYG</a>, so that'd cover that.

<!--quoteo(post=1715568:date=Jul 4 2009, 06:06 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 4 2009, 06:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would they release the alpha to a small group, <b>a minority</b>, that got the black camouflage<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    because 90% of pre-orders is a minority, lol.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hell it should be open to anyone that wants to play because we gotta get those bugs squashed...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Alpha is more like a... concept testing phase. Trying things out, seeing how they work (gameplay elements, for example). Beta would be when you have a fairly finished product that needs fine-tuning and bug-squashing. And so:
    The <b>beta</b> will be open to all pre-orders, special edition and regular. I don't doubt that's a significant figure. Although granted, specials will get first access.

Maybe at a later stage, they'll have an open beta. It'll definitely help with exposure.
    Maybe they could have it in the sense of the Steam game trial periods (like those seven day ones). Afterwards they could choose to pre-order and continue playing the beta, or just wait for the final game.

Probably need to ensure that you have a 'this is still an alpha/beta' disclaimer.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715569:date=Jul 3 2009, 05:10 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Jul 3 2009, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Releasing an alpha to all and sundry is unlikely to result in a larger amount of quality bug testing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's practically guaranteed to result in a larger amount of quality bug testing. That may or may not be lost in the noise.
  • LuaPineappleLuaPineapple Join Date: 2008-10-25 Member: 65296Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1715630:date=Jul 4 2009, 01:06 AM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Jul 4 2009, 01:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's practically guaranteed to result in a larger amount of quality bug testing. That may or may not be lost in the noise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

More like:

"It's practically guaranteed to result in a larger amount of bugs being found."

That doesn't mean:

1. That they're all unique.
    2. That they contain enough info to debug.
    3. That they're reported.
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    my prediction for alpha:

release date: 2010

Components: A skulk, an onos, a hive, 2 rooms (hive room and marine start, separated by a tiny hallway), a female marine, an lmg, and a pistol. DONE!
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716060:date=Jul 6 2009, 05:59 PM:name=S!K)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (S!K @ Jul 6 2009, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my prediction for alpha:

release date: 2010

Components: A skulk, an onos, a hive, 2 rooms (hive room and marine start, separated by a tiny hallway), a female marine, an lmg, and a pistol. DONE!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The alpha will be coming out a lot earlier than 2010. They're still aiming for a 2009 release and even if they don't make that the tools and alpha are only a couple of months away. Also, the alpha I think is mostly gonna consist of the developer tools and maybe an in game viewer, not much else.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716120:date=Jul 7 2009, 02:51 PM:name=Megahalo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Megahalo @ Jul 7 2009, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, the alpha I think is mostly gonna consist of the developer tools and maybe an in game viewer, not much else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's the tools YES, but the alpha itself is the game client & server

The tools are just coming sooner than later so that we (the end-user) can start using, find faults and suggest improvements to design and functionality of the tool/s.
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    i just think alpha is gona get releasede before 2010 ^^
    + on the wiki it says around fall (Release date(s) Fall 2009 (1 September - 30 November)) and thats the final release but yeah it's just a guess)