New Onos footage released

Comments

• BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I like the new stomp as it makes the onos a better seige unit, which is what the kharaa needs, besides a gorge bile bombing from a vent. the concept of the bone shield is cool although im wondering how useful it would be in gameplay. And whether it can be exploited by a player just continuously tapping crouch and moving forward. I hope that doesnt happen.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715496:date=Jul 3 2009, 10:07 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jul 3 2009, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the new stomp as it makes the onos a better seige unit, which is what the kharaa needs, besides a gorge bile bombing from a vent. the concept of the bone shield is cool although im wondering how useful it would be in gameplay. And whether it can be exploited by a player just continuously tapping crouch and moving forward. I hope that doesnt happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It sounds like it would be very useful. If things aren't looking good, run to a corner and activate bone shield and your only weakness would really be above you. With the decrease in damage, start screaming for your team to come save you. Also, in some smaller corridors you may be able to protect not only yourself, but your teammates behind you from fire as well. It could be a good way to break a marine's dug in position (assuming you can still tfac spam and lock a position down in NS2).

And devour was horrible. I'm very glad that's gone.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715492:date=Jul 3 2009, 02:43 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jul 3 2009, 02:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You did <b>watch</b> the video, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No I heard it on a podcast and used my amazing powers of imagination.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    edited July 2009
    it looks too much erected, should be more like a massive bull, not like a gorilla or l4d tank ;)

backfeets should go between the frontfeet while running, with a little crossing effect (not like models walk ^^ - but one foot is always a little more in front of the other)
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715499:date=Jul 3 2009, 10:53 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 3 2009, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No I heard it on a podcast and used my amazing powers of imagination.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ahh.. what would explain why you said what you did. Thanks for clearing that up. :D
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715498:date=Jul 3 2009, 09:16 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jul 3 2009, 09:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And devour was horrible. I'm very glad that's gone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it was the most important anti-heavy-armour assault...
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715523:date=Jul 3 2009, 01:37 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jul 3 2009, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it was the most important anti-heavy-armour assault...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree.

Marines are already overpowered in NS1. I hate the fact that any damn marine can be a builder, while Aliens must spend 10 res to become a Gorge and another 15 res just to build a RT.

It's incredible the fact that when an Alien destroys a Marine RT, 1 minute later comes 1 single marine, <b>that spent not even 1 res</b> and rebuilds another RT.
    This same situation for the Alien side is TOTALLY different. When marines destroy an Alien RT (which is quite easy) AND THE GORGE that built it, you have to spend 25 res just to build another RT (Gorge + RT).

I mean, that's not the way you balance a game. That situation makes the game much more easier for the marines to collect resources and, consequently, research JP/Heavy + HMG and annihilate Aliens quickly.

In my opinion, NS1 needs A LOT OF BALANCING, but its a shame that UW has forgotten it. Well, at least thats for a good reason called NS2.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    On the topic of NS1 you also forgot that Marines have a res pool owned by the commander where as the aliens have their own res pool with the gain on teamplay to increase that.

The balancing of NS1 is the fact that there is no direct counter balance.
  • BurgerBurger Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30072Members
    Heres my idea off the [terrible] article.

Onos are now pure siege machines. Tanks if you will. They go in crouching, taking in bullets letting lighter units take out marines while the onos just sits there and laughs. When the marines are reloading (or dead) the onos goes to standing mode, and stomps. This stomp does heavy damage on buildings, disrupting the electricity in them for a second or two, so the onos can stall a siege or break a base. His stomp will also give a "daze" type effect to marines. Not exactly how it was in NS (stunned) but to the point where marines now walk slower and possibly the crosshair slowly goes all over the place (as if you were playing a game drunk or something). This makes it so the onos is now effective at siege and has provide some kind of support to lighter aliens so they can take out the marines.

Stomp will no longer be a line in front of onos, but instead maybe a 180 - 270 degree arc in front of it with an effective (diminishing?) radius of 10-15yrds or something. This gives the marines an "oh ****" moment when they see that onos walk in the hall, raise up, and come down. Because of the power of this ability, it can't be spammed like in NS, but instead has to be strategically used in order for it to be used effectively.

None of this is real, just all assumptions I have going in my happy little head.
  • mHttmHtt Join Date: 2004-11-03 Member: 32617Members
    Don't forget Fall 2009 means they have until Dec 21 to release.

I expect them to release only what they feel is as close to possible to a final polished product, they're not going to drop anything that's not done yet, else they'd have to go back and keep touching it up. This schedule works fine for me, leaves lots of time for me to spend with my friends and loved ones before they loose me to my inevitable NS2 binge. Also would allow for a good week or two over the x-mas holiday to re acquaint myself with my TSA and Khaara skills.

One thing I absolutely loved about the original NS, was the arcade style jingle and flash that would play when you successfully dropped a med pack right on one of your injured rines in commander mode. Made me want to be as precise as possible when healing mah rines.

GZ @ Flayra & team, methinks your gonna have a glorious 2010.
  • OroxOrox Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33139Members, Constellation
    davidcavalcante , what you are saying about NS1 balance is totally bull######...But i'm too lazy to argue atm. I assume you are playing NS only since a few month and never followed NS1 balance patches.

Btw, I like this new Onos. Not really massive one, but still sounds good :]
  • frostymoosefrostymoose Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20799Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715523:date=Jul 3 2009, 10:37 AM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jul 3 2009, 10:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it was the most important anti-heavy-armour assault...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I suppose you'll see what NS2 is like... when you play it.
  • .fitoX.fitoX Join Date: 2007-08-28 Member: 62041Members
    edited July 2009
    OMFG IS THAT AN ONOS!?!?!?!?!?!?
    It seems to be a Troll that walks like a monkey
    please do something.
  • BirdyBirdy Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16825Members, Constellation
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1715530:date=Jul 3 2009, 05:33 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jul 3 2009, 05:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree.

Marines are already overpowered in NS1. I hate the fact that any damn marine can be a builder, while Aliens must spend 10 res to become a Gorge and another 15 res just to build a RT.

It's incredible the fact that when an Alien destroys a Marine RT, 1 minute later comes 1 single marine, <b>that spent not even 1 res</b> and rebuilds another RT.
    This same situation for the Alien side is TOTALLY different. When marines destroy an Alien RT (which is quite easy) AND THE GORGE that built it, you have to spend 25 res just to build another RT (Gorge + RT).

I mean, that's not the way you balance a game. That situation makes the game much more easier for the marines to collect resources and, consequently, research JP/Heavy + HMG and annihilate Aliens quickly.

In my opinion, NS1 needs A LOT OF BALANCING, but its a shame that UW has forgotten it. Well, at least thats for a good reason called NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm going to have to disagree with you about NS1 needing balance. I believe it is fully balanced. Chamber traits are basically counter-measures to a marine killing a gorge, and they're free for uprgade (unlike how it used to be where it costed 2 res) Gorge + celerity = quick escape.

But in general, the marines have 1 player manipulating res, while aliens have their own individual resources. Some players save their res for higher life forms that way preventing the marines from dropping resource towers.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715530:date=Jul 3 2009, 01:33 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jul 3 2009, 01:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This same situation for the Alien side is TOTALLY different. When marines destroy an Alien RT (which is quite easy) AND THE GORGE that built it, you have to spend 25 res just to build another RT (Gorge + RT).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why gorges are valuable, and you protect them. On the upside, only 1 member of the alien team takes a resource hit for dropping the RT yet everyone benefits. On the marine team, replacing RT's slows the entire teams progression down.
  • SgtHydraSgtHydra Join Date: 2007-11-29 Member: 63046Members
    I must say, this new Onos design is impressive.

It really gives a feeling of strength and power to the Onos, as well as age.

It looks like a cross between the old Onos and some sort of ancient statue. And that is no bad thing.

I hope you keep the designs varied though...
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715530:date=Jul 3 2009, 11:33 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jul 3 2009, 11:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean, that's not the way you balance a game. That situation makes the game much more easier for the marines to collect resources and, consequently, research JP/Heavy + HMG and annihilate Aliens quickly.

In my opinion, NS1 needs A LOT OF BALANCING, but its a shame that UW has forgotten it. Well, at least thats for a good reason called NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You forget that the two teams are supposed to be asymmetrical. Yes, the resource gathering mechanic is different for the two teams because they're supposed to be different. The important thing is that the overall balance between the teams are good, and all the classes are fun to play. And yes, I also hated being killed as a gorge. :-)
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    loving the idea of directional armour on the onos, I was hoping there would be an ability like this since I first saw the new armoured look. Can't wait to see the next video, especially if it is a new alien design.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    I must say that looks alot better than what it was alluding to in the first trailer, a rhinosaurus-like clone. The superb concept has been followed closely and the overall quality in alien design is like what we know from NS1. The model does have a few weakpoints. it has a huge level of detail in the front to the tendrils and forearms. After that it drops off and looks like something made in the spore editor. Some interesting "infestation" adornments other than the small patch for one of the tendrils might have helped, but I guess the model is pretty final.

Don't get me wrong, the model is pretty roaring, I just want to come up with alittle abit more variety in my feedback other than wow :)
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    Yes i agree, the detail on the front is superb, but it kind of drops off after that. A bit more detail on the side of the body would help, perhaps some more infestation like in the concept art.

It would probably look more menacing also if the pupil in the eye wasn't so pronounced. The concept art shows this glowing yellow orb for an eye and looks badass.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Big fan of the Onos here , nice to see its strategic use extended. I'm going to miss devour still , probably like all the abilities that were scrapped since 1.04...

I was waiting for flexible alien research ever since the sequel was announced , would be awesome if it could factor in extra abilities somehow. Best of both worlds !
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    Looks new and improved but I get the feeling that this Onos, doesn't move like a Rhino anymore. Seems to run like a Baboon. Other than that not much can be said from the video other than the looks.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I dunno about the new onos... needs more rhino. Actually it just needs to look a little more like the old onos. The first preview we got of the new onos was like... different. Now that we've seen the onos from different angles and animated, it's way more different. Definitely has that primate look, almost looks like it's actually walking on fists, I'm gonna have a look again, and I don't know... maybe the primate look'll grow on us. The armour itself seems a bit flat-surfaced and sharp-edged, doesn't look quite organic enough. I agree with above posters that said there isn't enough detail for the onos from the mid-section and back. I agree with the comment about the eyes, too.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    1)
    An idea has occurred to me upon seeing this video. Devour is gone yet the Onos seems to have some pincers on the sides of its mouth perfectly shaped for picking up marines and "flight"...ing them across the room. Anyone else get the same impression? That this new Onos spits instead of swallowing? So its like Devour except that you are still IN the game and perhaps not losing life but being carried away from you team helplessly shooting into a wall of armor, only to be gang banged by a pack of skulks wherever the Onos decides to drop you.

Ifs that true then woohoo! That was on my NS2 wishlist since a looong time ago.

2)
    ALSO looks like that new Onos is able to stand on its hind legs (gorilla-like frame) and grip (front legs have like curling fingers/claws) a high ledge to pull himself up. Could this be the solution to the ladder problem?

3)
    <!--quoteo(post=1715470:date=Jul 3 2009, 06:09 AM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Jul 3 2009, 06:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stomp disabling buildings?

Is that one real or just another screwed up bit of information from IGN?
    Sure i haven't played NS2 yet but tbh if stomp only disables buildings it feels kinda underwhelming...

Sure you could take out phasegates easily and a TF but besides that? I don't see any real use.. if the whole "disable building" thing is just additional to the marine stunning than it sounds okay (maybe a little bit too strong but who knows).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see huge Siege defense potential here.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree on one thing: IGN videoplayer is teh shiatz.
  • ScribblesScribbles Join Date: 2003-11-05 Member: 22323Members
    I love the new look of the Onos. Makes me happy in teh pants. I can't wait to see the other aliens.

Oh, and you won't see me lamenting the loss of Devour. I hated that ability. Whoever got devoured ended up staring at a wall for half a minute, and it turned the Onos into a hit&run class, rather than a tank.
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    I figure Onos will have some of the same role on the alien teams as the Mobile automated siege cannons have for the marine team, taking on enemy buildings.
  • ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
    I am extremely disapointed in the effort in the ONOS movie. You may have not brought it out. No offence UWE team, but the fact is. If I was going to promote this game to my friends I WOULD link them to the teaser but I would definately not show them that onos video.

Wow lets look at what you did? Play two animations and rotate the model. Cool story. I'm honestly saying this hoping you take it onboard to help you guys and I'm not being an ungrateful prick or anything.
    The video is poorly done and far far FAR too short.

If you want to promote the game better add something asthetically cool, such as the onos breaking through a door. Or even just a show off of the aliens abilities.

I'm very disapointed.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    BonziBUDDY skin for the onos please.