Blizzard to nix lan play in Starcraft 2

RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
<a href="http://kotaku.com/5304113/no-lan-play-for-starcraft-ii" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5304113/no-lan-play-for-starcraft-ii</a>

What do you all think of this? I think they shot themselves in the foot a little bit. Lans have always been the domain of FPS/RTS.

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    While I don't think it is going to affect a huge percentage of players (like, double digits huge), it still is a stupid way to try and deal with piracy (and yes, they have stated that piracy is a big reason they did it. gg hamachi). It's just bad PR all around for the company and people will find a way to pirate and play still stopping nothing. Combine with the splitting the game into 3 parts and they have not done their PR side well so far ;) Oh well, the LAN thing does not affect me.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    *tries to remember last time he played on LAN for any game like this: IE: SC / Warcraft/ C&C and cannot remember*
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715014:date=Jun 30 2009, 09:07 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jun 30 2009, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*tries to remember last time he played on LAN for any game like this: IE: SC / Warcraft/ C&C and cannot remember*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's the only way I play these games now. I just want to play with friends so it's a lot easier to join a game on a lan than hunt for some obscure bnet lobby and try and coordinate "okay my game is called please come friend5. dammit that's taken, okay please come friend six. crap you couldn't get it remake.blahblahblah"
    <!--quoteo(post=1715020:date=Jul 1 2009, 11:31 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jul 1 2009, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's the only way I play these games now. I just want to play with friends so it's a lot easier to join a game on a lan than hunt for some obscure bnet lobby and try and coordinate "okay my game is called please come friend5. dammit that's taken, okay please come friend six. crap you couldn't get it remake.blahblahblah"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *shrug*

Completely understand your POV though. No LAN play is rather stupid, will only (as others have said on countless other sites discussing this) encourge more private b.net configs and/or hacks to workaround and support LAN play.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Pretty useless since their game will be pirated anyway and people will find a way to play it over LAN.
    Oh well.. *sits back for ride*
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I wonder how the competitive scene is going to take this. Tournaments are preferably played over LAN because those have next to no latency or lag. Seems like it's going to complicate things.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I'm sure they'll think of something. Without the competitive game few would remember SC.

I can see them going down the Xbox Live/Games for Windows Live route where you authenticate with a master server (Battle.net) then you make direct connections from a lobby.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    people will still pirate it though ='(

gfg blizz
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=blizzard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blizzard)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't be a leech to society, innovation, and further awesome creations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=18031370482&sid=3000&pageNo=3#49" target="_blank">W. T. F.</a>

My urge to buy SC2 suddenly dropped to negligible levels.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    because rehashing the same basic gameplay into it's 7th iteration is pure innovative genius ;)

the current pirating methods are probably a bit too well founded for them to ignore, they wouldn't do something like this if they didn't think it'd ultimately lead them to making more money. But maybe you'll get lan over bnet like you do with steam :/
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yuck!

I LOVE playing Starcraft on a LAN. Maybe it will be so easy to play a game with your friends through Battle.net that it will effectively be the same thing but I'm skeptical.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1715131:date=Jul 1 2009, 04:14 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jul 1 2009, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yuck!

I LOVE playing Starcraft on a LAN. Maybe it will be so easy to play a game with your friends through Battle.net that it will effectively be the same thing but I'm skeptical.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only if they've figured out how to let the same IP join B.Net multiple times.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715067:date=Jul 1 2009, 07:50 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 1 2009, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder how the competitive scene is going to take this. Tournaments are preferably played over LAN because those have next to no latency or lag. Seems like it's going to complicate things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd say the actual communication between players will be direct P2P, it won't go via the b.net server. The only internet traffic would be a few authentication packets.

I'm slightly disgruntled, but most LAN parties these days have an internet connection anyway.

<!--QuoteBegin-locallyunscene+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->That's the only way I play these games now. I just want to play with friends so it's a lot easier to join a game on a lan than hunt for some obscure bnet lobby and try and coordinate "okay my game is called please come friend5. dammit that's taken, okay please come friend six. crap you couldn't get it remake.blahblahblah"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's not really a valid objection. Getting a game started on b.net is NOT difficult, whatsoever.

<!--QuoteBegin-Rob+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Only if they've figured out how to let the same IP join B.Net multiple times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, that was a big beef I had with SC1, not being able to have two people from one internet connection connect to b.net and play with a third person from another connection. Big pain in the caboose and unfixable without a firewall box moving traffic along on two different ports. Grr. I don't know if that got fixed with D2/War3, I'm assuming so.

--Scythe--
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I forgot who said it earlier, but they're right. It's not going to affect a significant amount of players, but it's still really strange and upsetting overall. Dawn of War II allowed LAN plan, but if pings were over 40ms it would disconnect you from the game/lobby. I think this was a good way of still allowing legitimate LAN tourneys will discouraging the vast majority of piracy.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715140:date=Jul 1 2009, 05:53 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jul 1 2009, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not really a valid objection. Getting a game started on b.net is NOT difficult, whatsoever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its not getting a game started that's the problem. The problem is when you care who you want to play with. Every once in a while I want to play against random strangers, but most of the time I'm looking specifically to play with one or more of my friends. The LAN settings are great for this; if I can see their game I can join. Bnet leaves much to be desired in this realm.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715196:date=Jul 2 2009, 11:49 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jul 2 2009, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its not getting a game started that's the problem. The problem is when you care who you want to play with. Every once in a while I want to play against random strangers, but most of the time I'm looking specifically to play with one or more of my friends. The LAN settings are great for this; if I can see their game I can join. Bnet leaves much to be desired in this realm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mind you, I've never had an issue connecting with friends on b.net hosted games.

If they're on your friends list, you see the game name they create... if you spend 2 seconds thinking about it rather than naming it "awesome team game" and finding it's already started a name of say ... "Daworm and Eddie" (assuming friends name was "eddie") the best thing about it, that room name is not likely to be taken... Make it Private and you have even higher chance of getting in.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1715131:date=Jul 1 2009, 04:14 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jul 1 2009, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yuck!

I LOVE playing Starcraft on a LAN. Maybe it will be so easy to play a game with your friends through Battle.net that it will effectively be the same thing but I'm skeptical.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not so easy if you're in someone's basement having a LAN party with unreliable internet... or computer labs where you can't muck with the firewall (due to no admin privleges) so you can have a private server that others in the lab that can connect to...
  • SkyrageSkyrage Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20249Members
    Haha, so it finally happened to Blizzard as well. They have fully joined the "Money first, everything else second" crowd. Well, it was fun liking Blizzard, but after this, I can safely say that I won't hold them in high regard anymore. Not that they haven't been flirting with the line for a long time already, but this time it was really crossed.

My next question is: how many years will it take before Unknown Worlds fall in the same money trap?

Frankly I find it amazing how the evolution of most gaming companies work. They start out small, they have fresh ideas which result in great and revolutionary games and their customers love them for it. Then after a few sequels you start to notice that the games that are being released are more "mainstream" based, and maybe DRM starts to creep in as well somewhere along the way. Before you know it you hear about features which is all about protecting sales and reaching out to as many people as possible rather than focusing on making a game which is fun and doesn't have any annoying features, like in the good old days.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    after getting 11M WoW subscribers I think Blizzard is to gaming what Michael Jackson was/is to pop music :O
    it is a bit concerning though, and it's not phrased in a reassuring way which makes it seem even more bothersome :P
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    I had fallen in love with Blizzard when they released Warcraft 2. It was the sequel to probably one of the first of its genres, Warcraft. Then starcraft came out and man all my friends had that. We made a point of playing every night on battle.net. Those were some fun times.

Seems to me that Blizzard has changed after its release of World of Warcraft. Their approach wasn't to make a good product and sell it. They've changed their strategy to selling a service rather than a product. I am personally against any service-based software product lines for the simple fact that if it becomes acceptable to pay monthly for software, you'd start paying monthly for your windows operating system and for office 2012. If that angers you, good. I hope it does, because that still means such a day is still a ways in the future. I would rather not give those guys any support for a product in which you have to pay every month by principle. Moreover, even if World of warcraft weren't pay as you go, I can't shake the feeling that Blizzard is becoming the Microsoft of the gaming world, which is to say dominating and uncompromising.
    There are parts of the internet where you could get burned at the stake for speaking like that.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715683:date=Jul 4 2009, 10:27 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 4 2009, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are parts of the internet where you could get burned at the stake for speaking like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good thing we don't hang out at msn.com
    Well, not to detract from the general flow here, but there are valid reasons for paying per month on MMOs. Granted, I doubt Blizzard needs ALL of the several <i>million</i> dollars a month it gets to keep the WoW servers up, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bill for running those servers and creating new content (if they do that.. ?) is at least one of those million a month.

WoW just wins using economies of scale. An MMO with less than a "tipping point" value of players isn't going to make it. Right at that tipping point, they'll break even. Beyond it, they'll make money. Sure, with more players, they'll have to spend more money to run it and the tipping point will increase, but I suspect it increases in exponentially smaller increments.
    Quite so. With what, 13 million subscribers times fifteen dollars a month, that's a brutto income of almost two hundred million dollars. Even after taxes, salaries, equipment purchases, bandwidth costs etc. etc. I bet there's still a big slice of that pie remaining. Every month.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1715811:date=Jul 6 2009, 12:06 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 6 2009, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quite so. With what, 13 million subscribers times fifteen dollars a month, that's a brutto income of almost two hundred million dollars. Even after taxes, salaries, equipment purchases, bandwidth costs etc. etc. I bet there's still a big slice of that pie remaining. Every month.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't forget that a fair chunk of those subscribers are from china, where they pay a much lower monthly rate.

--Scythe--
    <!--quoteo(post=1715811:date=Jul 6 2009, 12:06 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 6 2009, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quite so. With what, 13 million subscribers times fifteen dollars a month, that's a brutto income of almost two hundred million dollars. Even after taxes, salaries, equipment purchases, bandwidth costs etc. etc. I bet there's still a big slice of that pie remaining. Every month.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No .. Please ... DON'T .

*sigh*

That's the stupidest thing I see people do "Well, they make X amount a month even after Y expenses!" Really? You know this? So... mister Blizzard Finance person, how's about some free game time?
    edited July 2009
    Well, we can try to crunch a few numbers. Keep in mind that prices for the kind of bandwidth we're talking about here are usually negotiated per contract, so it's kind of difficult to really pin it down, but let's just make some, hopefully reasonable assumptions:

<ul><li>50,000 USD / 155 Mbps.</li><li>5 KBps required per player (I believe this to be a pretty big overestimate, a twitchy FPS with physics would probably need 5-10KBps)</li><li>13 million players</li><li>Blizzard provides enough bandwidth to keep 65% of that player base online and happy. More than that and lag starts to become a major issue (it's bad business to have enough bandwidth for everyone at all times because that will never realistically happen. Certainly they have come up with some number that is marginally above the average number of players online at peak times and is probably weighted in the direction they expect the player count to move)</li></ul>

So, we need enough bandwidth for 13,000,000 * 0.65 = 8,450,000 players.

At 5KBps per player, that's 42,250,000 KBps or ~41,259.767 MBps / 40.293 GBps (WoW!).

We need that in Mega bits per second, though, so multiply by 8: 330,078.125 Mbps.

Now to see how many sections of 155 Mbps line we need: 330,078.125 Mbps / 155 Mbps = ~ 2,129.536.

Multiply that by 50,000 USD to get how much it costs: 106,476,814.52 USD.

So, with 13,000,000 players, Blizzard grosses 195,000,000 USD / month. Let's say after taxes and so forth, they keep 68% of that: 132,600,000 USD.

Take a wild-*****-guess on other expenses (salaries drawn directly from WoW maintenance, data center expenses, data recovery, etc) to be something like 10 million a month: 122,600,000 USD.

So their profit <b>per month</b> would be 16,123,185.48 USD. That's quite a haul. Also assuming I haven't made any bad estimations or embarrassing arithmetic errors.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715866:date=Jul 6 2009, 09:27 AM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Jul 6 2009, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->assumptions:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Assumptions are the mother of all..... and keep in mind China players (as stated - LARGE chunk of players) pay on a per use plan and that's considerably lower than average.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715867:date=Jul 5 2009, 07:40 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 5 2009, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Assumptions are the mother of all..... and keep in mind China players (as stated - LARGE chunk of players) pay on a per use plan and that's considerably lower than average.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Negative. Assumptions always have to be made. Always.

edit:

Also, I don't have any clue what bandwidth costs in China (the American numbers above are based on a forum thread from 2001 o_O). I may well be that bandwidth costs less there, and hence the lesser fees. If that's the case, there's no point to be made in that regard.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715860:date=Jul 6 2009, 12:27 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 6 2009, 12:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No .. Please ... DON'T .

*sigh*

That's the stupidest thing I see people do "Well, they make X amount a month even after Y expenses!" Really? You know this? So... mister Blizzard Finance person, how's about some free game time?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's funny how I never mentioned what their expenses are (because I don't know). Save your preconceived notions for when people actually say what you complain about. Regardless, it's an open secret (if even that) that WoW RAKES in the money. I don't know if it's the most profitable computer game in history, but I couldn't see what other candidate there is.