Haze mode: A method of handling cheaters.

2»

Comments

• SamRSamR Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1382Members
    edited May 2009
    How about the cheating player just gets teleported to a single room with no exit, with the ambient music being a two second loop of Avril Lavigne playing constantly in that area?

"...he was a skater boi! ... he was a skater boi! ... he was a skater boi! ... he was a skater boi!..." etc.
  • SamRSamR Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1382Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1706347:date=May 6 2009, 02:22 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ May 6 2009, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706347"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would prefer kicking or banning cheaters. Preferably the latter. Leaving a cheater on a server is just taking up server slots. And besides, this would affect gameplay. Leaving a cheater in with HazeMode is basically turning him into a free res meatbag. He can't kill others and when he dies, he gives res to the opposing team. And he takes up the respawn queue. So best solution is to just kick him so as not to affect gameplay balance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You remember the original Red Alert for PC? When you got disconnected from whoever you were playing, a message would come up saying, "It's just you and me now!" and the computer would take over your opponents team(s).

How about the cheater gets disconnected from the server and ends up just playing a load of bots, only he never gets any indication that he's been disconnected.
  • DoushibagDoushibag Join Date: 2009-01-13 Member: 66071Members
    This arguing is kind of silly.

The simple fact is that it's VERY unlikely they'd even consider doing this for initial release. So low that discussing or expecting them to do it is a waste of time. It doesn't help identify cheaters or add anything else of essential value. Even if Charlie thought the idea was interesting he'd take the approach "Would I ship the game without this if it wasn't done?" And the answer is an easy yes, he would ship it without it. If you've been paying attention they've put themselves on a very tight schedule as is.

Additionally with all the tools they're making and it being LUA (which sounds pretty flexible) it will probably be easy for someone in the community to do it and release it and then if server admins see the value in it they'll add it. If they don't see the value in it to add it to their server they probably wouldn't use it much anyways.

Also I think this might belong in the Ideas/Suggestions section, not that it matters much.

I think for this thread to continue without getting locked for the degenerative path it's on you need to drop the idea that the developers are going to do it or let someone else do it and make it official. Talk about how to get it done without them and what it could and should be/do.
  • Nima_Nima_ Join Date: 2007-08-30 Member: 62083Members
    Personally.. banning is enough.. though I've always wished that instead of just a ban, it ###### up their system, puts their cpu, gpu and ram on a huge voltage.. and just kills the system. That would be awesome.

I know that it'd never happen. But god, it would be funny.
  • legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    The one thing I have hated about online games for the longest time is the, if you ain't cheating you ain't trying type of attitude most gamers have. It could be anything from some type of video setting in your drivers which allows you to see walls differently, or just straight up aim bot. The frustration people would get from getting on this list and being able to connect to servers but not play would be hellishly annoying for the cheater. I am all for anything which annoys the people trying to ruin my games.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Join Date: 2004-06-23 Member: 29481Members, Constellation
    an easier solution would be a downloadable excel spreadsheet of all players (and their steamids) who have ever played in any competetive league.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    ^ facepalm

<!--quoteo(post=1706553:date=May 9 2009, 09:01 PM:name=Opprobrious)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opprobrious @ May 9 2009, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Congratulations, you have come up with the worst suggestion on the unknownworlds' forum in the month of May.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    your saying this is worse then 90% of the I&S forums?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    There are so many cheats that it doesn't sound useful. I'd rather have a REAL anti cheat program than doing this.

Cheat spoted automatically: ban
    Your method : admin have to take care of it. Can sound fun but ultimatly take too much time.

I'd rather see admin spend their time to build up a cheat database (kind of client scan + finger prints on file or process in memory, and finally push up config value on client if necessary) to feed the anti cheat program. And obviously there is a lot of work on this side.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    um, isnt this thread kinda pointless??
    the point of cheating is that a person can bypasses the rules that the rest of us have to stick by, and therefor have an unfair advantage.. right?

so how many cheaters are going to go.. well now i have aimbot and speed hack on, im going to leave the "haze mode" on.

0_0

ya right