Electricity whats your opinion

RailoRailo Join Date: 2007-11-15 Member: 62925Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
Hi

Tried to search for similar topic but without a luck.

Ever since the electrified RT and TF possibilities game to Ns, I feel that its too much of an advantage for marines, and it obsoletes the turrets meaning.
Before that aliens usually attacked those TF/turret depots, because the commander placed it in a bad spot sometimes and made it vulnerable to a sneak attacks.
After the elctricity option, marines were able to hold their RT and TF much better.
I feel that aliens should have a similar RT defend system, like a RT that releases spore on to it's attacker.

Quite often commander places the TF beside RT so there is double electrified depot place, and with these days players they are left alone too often.
I would like to see those turrets gain their meaning on the battlefied, and Offence chambers aswell.
Perhaps the electricity could be used in marinebase, for certain amount of RT:s, or for a given time, but not in the current way.

Comments

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13249Members
    Electricity.

Well, in NS1, it was a weird kind of infinite Tesla tower kinda deal but to be honest, IMHO I really hope that "energy" will see its way into the game as a resource, something that the marines either need to bring in as generators or repair connections of existing power grids on the map, while the kharaa seek to bust the portable generators or break those connections.

While marines took light and electricity energy for granted in NS1 to a degree, it sure would be interesting to see the kharaa infestation having adapted to use this resource and fight the marines for it to either shut off lights or not have human map mechanics work how they used to.
  • chisschiss Join Date: 2008-06-05 Member: 64395Members, Constellation
    If you knew much, or a lot about commanding (read some good commanding guides), you would know that electrifying nodes is a big waste of money and should never be done.

The same applies for turrets and a turret factory.

If a phase gate needs defence, 16 mines cost the same as 3 turrets. Tell me which would be more effective.... Yeah.

Anyway- my point is, electrifying isnt important, and its definately not an advantage for marines.

If a marine team drops, builds then elecs a resource node..... thats 45 resources.

45!!!!!!! For the marine team to make ANY profit off this node, they will need to wait 45 ticks!

THAT IS 180 SECONDS!!!! 3 MINUTES!!

That is a god damned long time....

By this point aliens can easily have faded and taken down the node, or punished marines elsewhere for wasting this res.

Case closed.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Note that electricity is very effective at keeping the rogue Skulks from chewing expeditions.

While, as chiss has pointed out, it isn't very cost effective, in some low-level pub games the game runs pretty long and keeping the skulks off the nodes is worth it.

Granted, by the time you have a good number electrified, you should be winning since you had so much disposable res to begin with. This is why the electrified node + PG in Hive is popular in pubs. It hold the location, and guards the PG, and you can forget about it since only Fades or very determined gorges (or Hive 2 Gorges) can deal with them.

Basically, it's a fall back for when your team can't phase in and stop that one skulk. Just like every now and then I have to build turrets in base because they can't place mines properly and fail at killing skulks when they spawn.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    i came up with the idea of portable flares and flood lights they could put down, maybe having the commander able to upgrade the TF and RT with a generator to 'turn on' the blue light, the skulks can kill the generator to turn it off.

The commander can attach it, but can move it a certain distance away.

EX: He buys upgrade, its done, he chooses location this far out from the TF/RT and the generator spawns. The skulks can bite the generator, or the cable that it connects to, and the marines can reweld the cable/maybe generator?(Make comm rebuild one?