1-18-08

Comments

• Browser_ICEBrowser_ICE Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6944Members
    edited August 2007
    Hey they updated the site !

Going to look what has changed other then the main background.

Arrrrggghhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My office PC cannot display the trailer so I have no clue what has changed. Don't think they updated it.

Humm, background image, statue has damages that were done by claws and onely one forced passage through the buildings so that indicates only one big entity. So that's a clue : one monster with claws (robots usualy don't have claws).
  • ZigZig ...I am Captain Planet! Join Date: 2002-10-23 Member: 1576Members
    Coming from anybody else, this could be really cool.. it could be biblical, Lovecraftian, or whatever, it could still be good..

But the simple fact that it's coming from the same producer and studio as Lost just pisses me off.

Look forward to watching the entire movie, not seeing the monster, and being introduced to 20 new questions that will be "answered" in the next 4 movies.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1642906:date=Aug 8 2007, 08:12 PM:name=Zig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zig @ Aug 8 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]1642906[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Coming from anybody else, this could be really cool.. it could be biblical, Lovecraftian, or whatever, it could still be good..

But the simple fact that it's coming from the same producer and studio as Lost just pisses me off.

Look forward to watching the entire movie, not seeing the monster, and being introduced to 20 new questions that will be "answered" in the next 4 movies.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not like he did that with Alias.
  • ZigZig ...I am Captain Planet&#33; Join Date: 2002-10-23 Member: 1576Members
    edited August 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1642910:date=Aug 8 2007, 08:21 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Aug 8 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]1642910[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

It's not like he did that with Alias. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Was this a joke or not a joke?

My first (and possibly last) experience with JJ Abrams and Bad Robot was Lost.. some months ago I got hooked, watched a season and a half, and then discovered via internets what would take place over the rest of the series.. Needless to say, I cut my losses and gtfo.

If the cloverfield movie is ANYTHING like Lost, I'm having no part of it. I just have a personal dislike of that kind of show or film. I have all the time in the world to be enticed, enthralled, to be wound up like a spring.. I do NOT have time to just sit there and get f*ked with.

edit: you know, I forgot, he did Mission Impossible 3 as well, which I actually did like. Yeah, Tom Cruise is a scientologist d*ck, I know, but the movie was still pretty good. I think cloverfield still just reeks of Lost-like hijinks, of which I want no part.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Wasn't this confirmed to basically be:

Cloverfield: "I Can't Believe It's Not Lovecraft"

(as in it is a deep elder god that is basically ripping of the Lovcraftian mythos)
  • BlackMageBlackMage [citation needed] Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17474Members, Constellation
    A fat-free, low-carb, prepackaged Cthulu substitute?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1643133:date=Aug 10 2007, 07:48 AM:name=Black_Mage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black_Mage @ Aug 10 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]1643133[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    A fat-free, low-carb, prepackaged Cthulu substitute?
    basically.
  • bassportbassport Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25656Members, Constellation
    what iscthulu? and anyway... what the ###### are you talking about?
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    edited August 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1643503:date=Aug 13 2007, 04:16 AM:name=bassport)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bassport @ Aug 13 2007, 04:16 AM) [snapback]1643503[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulu" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulu</a>
    <a href="http://manybooks.net/titles/lovecrafthother06cthulhu.html" target="_blank">http://manybooks.net/titles/lovecrafthother06cthulhu.html</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1643503:date=Aug 13 2007, 06:16 AM:name=bassport)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bassport @ Aug 13 2007, 06:16 AM) [snapback]1643503[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    *walks around bassport (counter clockwise) spreading the blood of a black cockerel*
    Ia Cthulhu!
    Cthulhu F'htagn!
    Ia! Ia! Cthulhu F'htagn! Cthulhu!

*wanders off*

What?
  • TestamentTestament Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Members
    Cthulhu sucks and is just a pop star elder god.
    <!--quoteo(post=1643565:date=Aug 13 2007, 11:24 AM:name=Testament)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Testament @ Aug 13 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]1643565[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Cthulhu sucks and is just a pop star elder god.
    100% correct.

however if you start invoking Yog Sothoth, most people don't get the joke.
    I'm more of a Nyarlathotep groupie. Raw entropy ###### yeah.
  • torquetorque Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20035Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Update: Trailer 2 is out in theaters - you can see a capture here: <a href="http://www.cloverfieldnews.com/" target="_blank">http://www.cloverfieldnews.com/</a>
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    "AWOOOOOOOOOOOOO" - it's clearly just an angry big daddy. let the guy have his little sister back.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    Good quality trailer:

<a href="http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21492" target="_blank">http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21492</a>

Note at 1:05, the woman behind the curtain... her torso just rapidly expands.
  • MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/</a>
    so, like, whatchoo guise think of the movie? I thought it was neato, but very short. also, I would have liked some sort of closure/explanation of what was going on, or what the thing was, or the aftermath, in the end. Yeah, I appreciate that they were trying to keep it purely from the perspective of one group of people and one video camera, but while that worked for the blair witch project, I think it left this movie a little flat/lacking...
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Ain't seen it, not going to if it's gonna cost me money. Considering it's doing the whole "hey let's shake the camera as much as we possibly can so nobody can see anything of what's going on" thing, I'm just not going to bother unless it's a freebie.
    Not Lovecraftian. ######sux.
  • AegeriAegeri Join Date: 2003-02-13 Member: 13486Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1667987:date=Jan 20 2008, 10:31 PM:name=Testament)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Testament @ Jan 20 2008, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1667987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not Lovecraftian. ######sux.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, I thought it was very lovecraftian in theme: It has almost no real known origin (possible hint at where it came from near the end), seems impervious to human weaponry, acts in a highly alien way and even has the sort of look Lovecraft would have came up with (though it would be awesome if it was an incomprehensible amorphous blob of things like spheres).

I thought the movie worked very well.
  • torquetorque Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20035Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Saw this last night and I'd give it a passing grade - it wasn't great but it certainly wasn't bad by any means. :/ Not enough monster, the cameraman was wholly unlikable (except for a couple of lines), and just.. meh. It just didn't have enough substance to make it satisfying.

Entertaining for an hour and a half, sure.
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    edited January 2008
    Saw it, mostly liked it.

Lots and lots of monster shots for the curious.

The only thing that really bugged me was the question "How many times can one group of people run into the goddamned monster in a 7 hour period?"
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    So how would you describe it? It's sounding like a cross between King Kong and Blair Witch at the moment...
    <!--quoteo(post=1667997:date=Jan 21 2008, 02:43 AM:name=[WHO]Them)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE([WHO]Them @ Jan 21 2008, 02:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1667997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Saw it, mostly liked it.

Lots and lots of monster shots for the curious.

The only thing that really bugged me was the question "How many times can one group of people run into the goddamned monster in a 7 hour period?"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, I liked how it was destroying the Brooklyn Bridge (which is near the southern tip of Manhattan), and then all of a sudden it was in midtown and they were acting like it had been there the whole time.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So how would you describe it? It's sounding like a cross between King Kong and Blair Witch at the moment...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that's pretty much right, though maybe more Godzilla than Kong. =p definitely Blair Witch though. the camerawork made my gf quite queasy.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not enough monster, the cameraman was wholly unlikable (except for a couple of lines), and just.. meh. It just didn't have enough substance to make it satisfying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, I agree. it's like, they decided to concentrate on the people rather than the monster - but then they forgot to make the people particularly likable too. It should really have been a longer movie. They needed to either flesh out the characters a little more or give us more exposition about the monster, if not both... but excluding previews, the movie was probably no longer than the season premieres of most tv shows -_-

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, I thought it was very lovecraftian in theme: It has almost no real known origin (possible hint at where it came from near the end)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what was the hint? I think I missed it...
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    someone spoil it for me please i refuse to pay for movies
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1668033:date=Jan 21 2008, 03:19 PM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 21 2008, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1668033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->someone spoil it for me please i refuse to pay for movies<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lucky for you, there is this thing we call the<i> internet</i>.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    I loved the movie. I thought it was pretty damn good. If you didn't like HUD you're a heretic.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1668036:date=Jan 21 2008, 02:27 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xyth @ Jan 21 2008, 02:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1668036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lucky for you, there is this thing we call the<i> internet</i>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wow couldnt find anything but obscure hints
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1668074:date=Jan 21 2008, 11:55 PM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 21 2008, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1668074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wow couldnt find anything but obscure hints<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Look <i>more</i> closelier.