The Commander Experience

Comments

• MisereMisere Join Date: 2004-03-28 Member: 27568Members
    Hey J! can we get an update on that you think about all of this?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1662185:date=Nov 29 2007, 09:22 AM:name=commofdoom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(commofdoom @ Nov 29 2007, 09:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1662185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this deserves it's own post anyway

-Add a confirm for recycle that is not V. Make it like z or something. Accidental recycling happens too often. Especially when trying to beacon while cancelling MT.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes it should be two different buttons at the same time so its not accidental, like CTRL + V or A+V
  • tallmidget22tallmidget22 Join Date: 2007-02-03 Member: 59859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1662658:date=Dec 2 2007, 07:46 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(schkorpio @ Dec 2 2007, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1662658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes it should be two different buttons at the same time so its not accidental, like CTRL + V or A+V<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quoted for Agreement.
  • SirusSirus Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8466Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Not to derail, but in regards to squads, I think they shouldn't be created by the commander, but rather let players freely join and leave squads similar to BF2. This way, players organize themselves, and if they become detached from a squad, they can join up with their closest neighbor and stick together. If there's some type of incentive for being around or near squad members or leaders, players might regularly reform. (For example: if you are in range of a squad member who makes a kill or builds a structure, their points are shared with you)

If the interface to join and leave squads is accessible, it should simplify the commanders role (in a good way), while giving individuals a means of coordinating.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2008
    That works for BF2 because there's.. distance.. there's time to make those changes.
    In NS it's all intense close-quarters fighting. Quick decisions. That kind of thing.

Plus, half the team in BF2 don't even join squads. I only make squads so that me and my friend (at the lan/netcafe) can stick together/know where the other person is.

I think squads just don't really work very well at all in any FPS. :/ (at least in the majority, pubs, ive never been much of a competitive gamer)
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    On pubs I generally select-all "go to hive" or select individual units who know what they're doing. I only use the squads for obs-armory-armslab
  • SirusSirus Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8466Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1666276:date=Jan 4 2008, 06:57 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Harimau @ Jan 4 2008, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1666276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That works for BF2 because there's.. distance.. there's time to make those changes.
    In NS it's all intense close-quarters fighting. Quick decisions. That kind of thing.

Plus, half the team in BF2 don't even join squads. I only make squads so that me and my friend (at the lan/netcafe) can stick together/know where the other person is.

I think squads just don't really work very well at all in any FPS. :/ (at least in the majority, pubs, ive never been much of a competitive gamer)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you've played BF2: Special forces, you would see that even in closer quarter fights, a squad mechanic can still work. With a 10 second set-up timer at start, players could quickly create squads, and if the interface is quick and easy, players could do it throughout the match (especially if its accessible during respawn periods). To me it's the only feasible method of a squad mechanic when you have independent thinking players.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1666291:date=Jan 4 2008, 05:23 PM:name=Sirus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sirus @ Jan 4 2008, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1666291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you've played BF2: Special forces, you would see that even in closer quarter fights, a squad mechanic can still work. With a 10 second set-up timer at start, players could quickly create squads, and if the interface is quick and easy, players could do it throughout the match (especially if its accessible during respawn periods). To me it's the only feasible method of a squad mechanic when you have independent thinking players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I haven't played bf2 so I haven't got an idea how the system works, but it has to work quite smooth to work properly in ns tempo. At least I feel uncomfortable even using the popup menu on the field, not to speak of some complex grouping menus. I also wonder why can't the marines just stick together if they decide to team up. I'd love to have some 10 m radius voice communication for the marine level management.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    i own bf2 bf1942 and 2142

i beleve me its smoot enought for ns

you can make join or go aut off a squad in 1 second
  • MisereMisere Join Date: 2004-03-28 Member: 27568Members
    J! will be reading this soon so can a ninja please do a summary post?
  • J!J! NS2 Artist Join Date: 2004-11-14 Member: 32788Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    edited January 2008
    There's a wealth of great ideas in here. We've already discussed a lot of them internally, which is great because it means we want the same things you guys do, but there's a few gems here that we've overlooked. However, I haven't yet finished reading everything.. it's taking a while because I'm taking notes and there's a lot to get through. I'm not sure if I'll be able to discuss your ideas but rest assured that I will have read all of them soon.
  • Deathwish42Deathwish42 Join Date: 2008-01-10 Member: 63376Members
    My thoughts on com interface and the like...
    I remember when NS first came out, I was so into it because of the RTS parts of being com and building a base in a FPS. Over time other games have had similar feels and thoughts in their setup but NS is where it started for me.

The com play style has always interested me but I have spent little time using it, usually because I am unable to dispense shotguns and health packs when my team wont build any more resource nodes without a full combat load and eject me when I tell them that we have no res and they need to help get some my forming groups to cap key areas. They all just want to Rambo...so sad.

(If I don’t give credit to someone for stating one of my ideas before me, my bad)

I would like it if when you built a structure that can research something an icon is put on the side of the screen and you can research it by clicking on it, once the research is completed the icon goes away (saves on clutter)

Logout button is way too big.

A minimap for the com to be able to jump around the map would be a huge help.

Health/ammo bars above marines would help the com see who needs the health/ammo and who is covering the cripple.

I would love to have the com chair able to access the computer systems of the map they are on. What if there were some doors that could only be opened by the com? (unless they are welded shut) what if there were some rooms in the game that had turrets the com could temporarily control that would have infinite ammo but a cool down bar (like vehicle mounted machineguns in most FPSs), and if destroyed could be repaired by a helpful marine. That would be especially useful to have 1 or 2 at marine start so the com can protect his chair form early rushes. I know the best way to look at the map as a com is the traditional top down way but what if you could also access security cameras that were set over the map?

I don’t understand how people can say that one of the things they love about being a com is that they get to baby-sit rambos and constantly give them health packs. I think we should keep this ability but have a researchable upgrade like the grenades ‘stim packs’. Once researched every marine can carry 1-3 and have them reloaded at armory. (side note make grenades reloadable at armory to please) that way coms who want to focus on base construction and strategy don’t have to listen to the rambos whine as much but are still able to assist in times of dire need. If you really need your fix of twitch game play, stay as a marine and kill stuff dead, let the people who have a knack for strategy take command.

As much as some people want the com to remain as the king or their team I believe that there has to be some say from the solders on what is going on. Sometimes a front line solder knows more about what is going on in a certain situation than a com in their metal throne, especially when the com is inexperienced or paying attention to another group of marines on the other side of the map. I am for solders gaining their own ‘credit/res/whatever’ for performing tasks like welding/building structures, killing aliens ext (obviously balanced so that it discourages rambos) that way solders who are skilled enough and are able to accomplish tasks that are able to help the team achieve victory have access to gear more easily than ones who don’t follow orders or spend most of the game humping armories.

I would love to see the waypoints expanded on. Why not just make it so that you could assign the orders to defend/attack rooms/halls/vents. Example, a marine is patrolling near their forward base, spots a xenoform and reports it. Com orders to ‘attack engine room’ and all nearby marines rush in to cleanse the area (sorry alien players). Why would the marines follow their coms orders? Because they get a x2 or x3 multiplier to their personal income ($/c/rez whatever). Sure you could get enough cash for a shotgun and mines on your own going Rambo, but you would get that gear much faster and easier, not to mention not spending as much time dead, if you followed the coms order.

An attack marker would give a bonus to any kills made in the room/hall/vent while a defend marker would add a bonus to any kills made while in the room (so killing them before they have a chance to enter the room still gives you the bonus) AND add a bonus to base construction and repair as well. The areas for the different rooms could be assigned during the map making process, I mean the rooms are already given names, just assign them as different sectors as well.

I love the idea of squads but if there were like 3-6 squad leader positions that marines could have a radio command asking to be made a squad leader. When a player is a squad leader have an icon appear over their head in game(at least only to marines). Other marines can be recruited into squads either by the com or the squad leader, and can radio squad leaders in their sight to ask if they can join their squad if they are not in one already. As a squad leader you should at the very least be able to give waypoints/markers for your squad. This way a com could be leading 2 squads in a raid on one hive while he/she orders another squad leader to take the reaming force and attack another hive. Maybe they are also able to have ammo packs (refilled at armory) so they can supply their squad in the field. And please, please let marines who are waiting to spawn in be able to change squad and other setups while waiting.

Their also has to be some kind of training exercise (and not just for com but for all aspects of the game) for the com side it should be like a 6v6 bot game with the com learning how not to get their team killed and some basic tactics.

Some complain about people trying to ‘dumb down’ the ‘commander experience’. Just remember, when NS2 is released and all the fresh meat comes in via steam, there are currently only so many ‘good’ coms out their right now, and unless we are able to get more trained in how to play and command intelligently, fairly, and in a way so that everyone has fun, NS2 would be dedicated only for the extremely hard core who already play NS1 now. Commanding is difficult and takes some getting used to why should the com interface make things more tedious than they have to be?

The com screen should be as customizable as possible. Every com commands differently and having a screen that could be changed to make their individual styles easier to do would be most helpful. Being able to minimize windows so they can get a better look at the action when needed and brought back out when needed would be a bonus. A quick select field where the com could drag items to a menu where they could selected them at a seconds need (no more having to remember different key combinations to drop items in a pinch, set up so you chose what key goes to what item as needed)

Remember that even when you are the com every one on your team has their own idea about what/how a com should act. The whining will never stop, but hopefully it can be minimized.

Just some thoughts before I go to work....keep the discussion up!
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    2 cents

theres only one thing i want aded to the commander, a little cam(baisically like picture in picture on your tv) that when a building or the control room is attacked it shows a 3rd person shot from that building, I can see te commander being the last one left having to watch a little video of 4 skulks biting on his chair.
  • SqueeboSqueebo Join Date: 2008-02-04 Member: 63580Members
    edited February 2008
    I think a lot of commanders have a hard time building upgrades while helping their marines at the same time.

So, I think you could probably at upgrade buttons to the HUD, rather than making the commander have to zoom back to base, click the building, and upgrade it.

I was thinking you could have icons for all the buildings constructed that could research upgrades, and when you click the icon, a small, transparent pop up window would appear, asking what you'd like to research. A progress bar could show how far along the upgrade was.

Health bars could be shown for the marine's on the HUD, too, it would you keep track of your marines.

Being able to move with the Arrow keys/WASD would also be very nice.

Just some ideas.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2008
    a minimap, with icons to display resource nodes, buildings, revealed enemy buildings, marines and activity (building complete, marines under attack, building under attack, etc.).

being able to move with the arrow keys/wasd = agreed.
    health bars = agreed.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, I think you could probably at upgrade buttons to the HUD, rather than making the commander have to zoom back to base, click the building, and upgrade it.
    I was thinking you could have icons for all the buildings constructed that could research upgrades, and when you click the icon, a small, transparent pop up window would appear, asking what you'd like to research. A progress bar could show how far along the upgrade was.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed. Kinda like SupCom? And the icon for the buildings would flash 'research complete' or 'building complete' and maybe also notices on the minimap.
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    Are any devs still reading this?

How about a COMMAND/CONTROL key for the interface, such that pressing (and perhaps holding) COMMAND+z recycles a selected structure, COMMAND+click drops a medpack, and COMMAND+rightclick drops an ammopack?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Empires does squads well, similar to a BF2 system. They give squad points that can be spent for squad buffs, and it's free to join or leave as needed.

Overall, I just want the Commander to NOT get overwhelmed with added responsibilities. Also, rebinding recycle to a key combination would be nice. Oh, and of course, ability to click on minimap to give waypoints. If that's it, I'd be soooo happy.
  • J!J! NS2 Artist Join Date: 2004-11-14 Member: 32788Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    edited February 2008
    <!--quoteo(post=1669710:date=Feb 7 2008, 12:16 AM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Feb 7 2008, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1669710"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are any devs still reading this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am keeping a watchful eye. All of my favourite ideas and suggestions have been and will continue to be noted (it's a long list).

When we have more to show of the commander interface, I'll try to write a blog entry which details the changes we've made based on community input. If I forget, feel free to remind me.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Another random thought of comm tagging rooms with icons. For example comm hears a gorge building node in pipeline, so he tags the rt spot with a rt icon visible in the minimap of every marine. The same goes for hives and chambers and such. Maybe add some 'needs capping' icons too. Generally its more like an universal secondary waypoint than any direct order.
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    That's definitely good. I'm sure this has been mentioned before but let me add my vote to turning the minimap into the comm's plaything ala John Madden, and also for letting the world reflect the comm's instructions (like a glow to the walls in a given direction combined with an arrow) rather than just adding an obtrusive blinking icon to the player's hud. That second one might take too long, but I'm sure something more seamless can be worked out without as much trouble.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    this arrow thing is a real good idea
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1670029:date=Feb 10 2008, 12:07 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bacillus @ Feb 10 2008, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1670029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For example comm hears a gorge building node in pipeline, so he tags the rt spot with a rt icon visible in the minimap of every marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope that the comm can't hear through walls and fog of war in ns2!
  • Dr. Pepper PhD.Dr. Pepper PhD. Join Date: 2008-02-19 Member: 63680Members
    One thing I have found from commanding is when you have the wrong menu selection and are trying to drop a med pack and have to hit V for cancel then E menu then S selection. Its not the keying but the amount of time it takes to figure out you have the wrong thing selected.

I believe that there should be a background pic in the menu area of what you have selected. This can be used to solve multiple things. It will tell you what upgrade is going on the designated building, along with tell you what you have selected so that you don't hit V thinking you have a drop selected when you have a structure selected that is unable to be told from say a medpack (so you don't accidentally recycle a key phase gate).

Basically it seems like adding this simple feature would be a huge help with newbies and experienced comms alike.

The only other thing I cannot stand is the way keyboards are setup I have to set one of my hotkeys for comming as my voice key, and sometimes I will accidentally select a turret to drop or upgrade to armor 2 when im talking. Just a minor annoyance but I can't really think of a way to fix it. I need more keys on my keyboard.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1670934:date=Feb 19 2008, 09:38 AM:name=Dr. Pepper PhD.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Pepper PhD. @ Feb 19 2008, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1670934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only other thing I cannot stand is the way keyboards are setup I have to set one of my hotkeys for comming as my voice key, and sometimes I will accidentally select a turret to drop or upgrade to armor 2 when im talking. Just a minor annoyance but I can't really think of a way to fix it. I need more keys on my keyboard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I personally love the positional hotkeys. I just have to make sure I re-bind my voice key before I comm.

However, a nice feature would be to allow re-binding client side the commander build hotkeys in some easier fashion than hacking the config file. More binding options = awesome personally. Just force us to use too many buttons at any one time (*cough* Tribes 2 *cough*).
  • RecupelRecupel Join Date: 2008-02-27 Member: 63752Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I thought that the commander could access some cameras located in some places of the map to quickly check a strategical point out of the sight of the other marines.
    Or Maybe the Marines must activate the cams to allow the commander use the cams...
  • SmithyaceSmithyace Join Date: 2008-03-20 Member: 63911Members
    Ok, I personally love to command. I have played many games with fellow clan members and pubs eek!
    and I find its just too hard to get players to do things.

I'd like to see an advancement on the waypointing and squads.
    IE:
    - When players are in game they can bring up a menu where they can create simple squads under generic names or customizable names (clan based)
    - Players can maybe have an option where they can talk to team members only ? But not very important
    - When a player creates a squad it comes up int he commander interface and the commander can choose that squad and assign them to go to somewhere.
    - The way point will then appear on the top of the squad's players screens (name and distance) and direction in which to travel.

Also just a minor detail that makes it look mad is animated buttons in the commander interface:
    - Loading upgrades
    - Icons that come up when base is being attacked, so the commander can fast switch to the res node or PG that is being attacked etc
    - Also, I'd like to see an emergency beacon button too! As in game its hassling to find and click the observertory when people need meds and base is under attack etc. Just saves the time and as a good commander TIME is everything!

Thanks for reading I look forward to seeing the new interface
    Cheers J!
  • DominingDomining Join Date: 2007-09-27 Member: 62452Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1673715:date=Mar 20 2008, 07:57 AM:name=Smithyace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smithyace @ Mar 20 2008, 07:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1673715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Players can maybe have an option where they can talk to team members only ? But not very important<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Team based as in squad/friend based? There is ventrilo for that, and its widely used.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Also, I'd like to see an emergency beacon button too! As in game its hassling to find and click the observertory when people need meds and base is under attack etc. Just saves the time and as a good commander TIME is everything!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Allow me to introduce you to my special and most successful strategy: shift + 1 on the observatory. Then when you're minding your own business and aliens start chomping on base, hit 1, Z. Solved.
    edited March 2008
    <!--quoteo(post=1673717:date=Mar 20 2008, 12:07 PM:name=Domining)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Domining @ Mar 20 2008, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1673717"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Team based as in squad/friend based? There is ventrilo for that, and its widely used.
    Allow me to introduce you to my special and most successful strategy: shift + 1 on the observatory. Then when you're minding your own business and aliens start chomping on base, hit 1, Z. Solved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, I clearly remember J! stating he wanted input from players.. not jerk offs who have nothing better to do than waste time of the devs posting bull###### posts saying how bad someones IDEA is.

What if a game consists of people who dont all have ventrillo and dont all want to sign in and waste time setting it up went hey join a server and just want to join a squad quickly. Get a clue. Not everyone is friends..

you are completely wrong.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    edited March 2008
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope that the comm can't hear through walls and fog of war in ns2!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->NS2 will have dynamo-power's which will make it even more obvious to locations wherin xeno-morphs may be harvesting/building. More adequate targeting for soldier WP's on targets such as "Atttack hostile target", and "Defend (moving) target" would be nice.
    The beaconing system:

I'm sure you have figured this out but, maybe in the comm can decide where he can beacon his players too? Like a certain distance from the command chair?
    So when you relocated base to say a hive for tactical reasons, when you beacon players don't spawn back at marine base.

Cheers