Alien Meld

Dark RageDark Rage Join Date: 2007-12-05 Member: 63081Members
<div class="IPBDescription">DI and alien camouflage (cloaking revamped)</div>There has been a lot of discussion about the new dynamic infestation and how it will affect game play. Currently in NS skulks rely on their speed and ambushes to get a majority of their kills. I think it would add to the creepiness and suspense if the skulks and gorges (if standing still) would meld/cloak into their DI. This would make controlling an area with DI much more advantageous to the alien team and allow them to ambush much easier. I think this should be an innate ability and not be unlocked/upgraded. I have played with enough people on NS to know that the newbies often get very frustrated with being a skulk/gorge because they run in a straight line. I want to reward the aliens for setting up ambushes (using the DI also allows you to ambush from many more places than just doorways and corners and would keep marines on their toes). *Puts on flame suit*

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited December 2007
    This was suggested in the general DI thread a while back. I think it deserves its own topic and is a very good idea. It strongly encourages players to ambush more and is a neat effect besides.

Edit: Save your flamesuit for an idea that has been suggested a million times and/or is in the FAQ.
  • TommyVercettiTommyVercetti Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13390Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is a neat idea. A full cloak would be too powerful, but not if the aliens simply changed their skin green to match the infestation but could still be seen by a careful marine (or if they are silouhetted against non-infested space).
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1663497:date=Dec 10 2007, 05:24 PM:name=TommyVercetti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TommyVercetti @ Dec 10 2007, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1663497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a neat idea. A full cloak would be too powerful, but not if the aliens simply changed their skin green to match the infestation but could still be seen by a careful marine (or if they are silouhetted against non-infested space).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Either that or make there be a "detaching" time.
  • corpsmancorpsman Join Date: 2004-04-17 Member: 27979Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    By using it as camo yes. They are usnig their enviornment to attack and defend, the reward is using your brain more and therfor staying alive. It seems like camo would be the easiest way to accomplish this and not rob SCs of their worth and most impotantly their purpose. I would imagine they could get it to work by just matching the alien skins and DI "textures" correctly?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64467Members
    edited July 2008
    I acually like this Idea. In the NS trailer (first one i think) they have a skulk(im guessing) that sort of does melds into the infection and I always thought that was a cool idea.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited July 2008
    <!--quoteo(post=1683012:date=Jul 10 2008, 08:34 PM:name=BlackHawk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackHawk @ Jul 10 2008, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1683012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I acually like this Idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same. It's a good-sounding idea. My only thing is how do the devs allow DI to provide camo to near by skulks without making the effect a not-so-good stealth? The end result is the same -- to avoid being seen -- so how do they go about that?

Also, side note, has anyone played Operation Flashpoint? That's the first game I ever played where camo actually mattered. A sniper in a ghillie suit, in a bush, was completely invisible. Regular soldiers could even blend in with their standard camo -- it was amazing.