Just an Idea: Breakable Glasses into Space

megamuhmegamuh Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23438Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Suggestion about Map Dynamics</div>First off, excuse any typos or misspellings, i'm german.
Hope it's still understandable to you and that you get the Idea of what would wish to be in NS-2.

Here is the Idea:
How about implementing more dynamics to Maps.
Like Sections of the Map that can be made impassable ?
Would be a great effort, but i just want to know what you think about it.

For Example:
A Space Station Map, that has Windows to Space that are Breakable.
The Section got Airlocks that you need to Pass to get in. (2 Doors that are at Start both open)
If the Glass is destroyed, Internal Security Systems of the Station are Triggered and Lock Down the Section by the Airlock doors. (Both Doors Get Shut Down very fast to avoid the whole Station to decompress) Everything inside the decompressed Section gets Damage over time or is Killed.
These Sections can only Be accessed by Airlocks. (by opening the First door, closing it, pressing a button for Athmosperic Exchange, and Opens the Door to the Decompressed Section).

For NOT to Destroy the Game or Balance:
General:
There should be always a save alternativ passageway around this destroyed or decompressed or whatever Section, but it should be longer than the original way.
The Fixing of the Damaged Sections should be permanent, to avoid using these sections as traps in later gameplay.

Marine Specific:
The Sections should be accessable by Heavy Armors, because its a Full Body Suite, that looks like it can perserve life in decompressed areas.
Would fit to my imagination. the Damages done to the section, should be repairable by Welders to make the Section passable again.

Alien Specific:
The Section should be accessable by Gorges who can also fix the Damage done to the Section, and perhaps some other Lifeforms, dont got a good Idea now, that perserves the Balance.

IMHO this would be a great benefit to the Ambience of the Game.
Perhaps some Monitors Showing the Broken Sections of a Space Station even a Total Hull Integrety System.
displayed at some status monitors throughout the map.

Should be doable, but it depends on if you guys like this kind of idea.
In general its like weldable things like in NS, but i think this aspect of the Game deserves some more detail and some passion.

Just Read it Think about it.
Would be pleased if these kind of things get more attention in NS-2.

Comments

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13249Members
    I could have sworn there were some custom maps for NS1 that at least had the decompression part of breaking part of the hull. Just saying that I have seen its already possible, while repairing the hull other than triggering doors to drop or raise that the mapper put there.

Are you asking for what is already possible or are you asking that maps have more damage and repair to them? Even if you are asking the second possibility, I love both these ideas.

The ones I have played, when done in moderation, were alot of fun to play, especially when there was a chance to save yourself from being locked off from the rest of the map. Additionally, any steps towards TSA and Kharaa battling it out in Zero Gravity and No Atmosphere enviroments and the necissary "upgrades" or "evolves" would be so very, very cool.

Oh, and is this something that suits the idea section better than the general section, just curious.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=832405284540723456&showforum=84" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....mp;showforum=84</a>
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    thats not necessarily hard to do - its really up to the mappers.
  • INKEDOUTINKEDOUT Join Date: 2007-06-23 Member: 61343Members
    This should be moved to Ideas and Suggestions. You will also be glad to hear that this is possible, as far as I know.

I am planning to design an NS2 map that includes decompressed areas and even airlock space jumps. I talk about some of the ideas I have had in more detail <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=1483980153555034112&showtopic=102266" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=1483980153555034112&showtopic=102185" target="_blank">here</a>

I would love to see some NS maps with decompression and low gravity in them, if anyone has any links to some?
  • JbmOJbmO Join Date: 2005-07-12 Member: 55784Members
    I was working on a map that had a decompressing docking bay... crates and everything. When you opened the door (weldable) the bay doors opened and the tractor clip sucked everyone out into the space around the ship (much damage ensued... but you got a cool look at the outside of the map).

So yeah - its possible. But what killed the map for me was the exploit of marines building siege/etc in the room - decompressing the room and then the commander blasting the crap out of everything nearby with the aliens unable to anything but drool at the window into the docking bay... Of course months later they updated the game to remove siege damage to alien players and make it specific to structures only... by then I had deleted the map. Live and learn.

Also - I worked with switch series that would have no effect if activated singly but would change a portion of the map dynamic if all were activated. Say three switches in three separate rooms each at different sides of the map. Activate one - nothing happens. Activate two - still nothing. Activate all three - the main power generator in the center of the map powers on making that room impassable (something you are not able to see - because your in a service duct on the fringe of the map) and all the stations systems/pumps/lights come on line. My point in this is that weldable are not the only way to make a map altering 'whatevers' difficult to perform...

sorry - i seem to be rambling...