NS crashes randomly

UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?! Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">For no discernable reason</div>NS keeps crashing when I am playing, at, as far as I can tell, completely random times. The screen just locks up, and the sound just loops - the only way to get out of it is to kill hl.exe through the task manager. I haven't made any configuration changes lately. This happens on two separate Steam accounts, which is a bit puzzling. Somebody suggested lowering the program priority for HL, and it seems to work as a temporary fix. I was hoping somebody might be able to suggest a way to fix the problem at the root.

Comments

• asmodeeasmodee Join Date: 2007-06-20 Member: 61317Members, Constellation
    This started happening to me a couple of days ago as well. I didn't notice if there were any steam updates shortly before it started happening.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    So after lowering the priority of HL, I started getting getting major FPS choke after awhile. It turns out that Steam was using up like 50%. I was also still getting weird pauses where things would freeze for a few seconds, then resume.

Conclusion: Steam is a steaming pile of ######.
  • asmodeeasmodee Join Date: 2007-06-20 Member: 61317Members, Constellation
    50%? Do you have a dual core processor? I've not experienced this though, my crashing has stopped.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    Anyways, I think I figured out the problem. It was caused by my 3rd party mouse drivers, which worked fine except in conjunction with HL. Removing them seemed to fix it.

Another user PMed me and told me that they were having similar problems, which were fixed by disabling onboard sound and enabling their soundcard only.
  • kcollinghamkcollingham Join Date: 2007-09-13 Member: 62272Members
    could you detail out how you fixed your problem becase it may help with mine