Virtual Haircut

ZupiCoZupiCo Custom titles rule! Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14792Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Binaural recordings</div>Probably old, but too amazing not to pass on to those who haven't heard it.

<a href="http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop" target="_blank">http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop</a>

Put on your headphones, listen and be amazed! A good implementation of this in the soundcard drivers and we wouldn't need fancy surround systems.

Comments

• TheSaviorTheSavior Join Date: 2003-10-14 Member: 21688Members
  • enf0rcerenf0rcer intrigued... Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14584Members
    why would they not do this normally with sound... this is freaking awesome.
  • DrSuredeathDrSuredeath Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8217Members
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    edited May 2007
    HOLY ****

edit: make sure to have a l...isten to the other ones (3) it links to.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    They should do this in games...
  • Zor2Zor2 Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35341Members, Constellation
    Wow, I was pretty confused and sceptical as to what this was supposed to be, but wow! When he turned on the shaver and started shaving close to my ear, I felt the exact same tingling/ticklist sensations as I did 'irl'.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    WTH. The intro even works with speakers. *craps*
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow. A great display of 3d sound.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    This reminded me of the time I went into store to get speakers and this guy showed me a *brand new* quake 2 demo where he shot the nail gun and I could hear it bouncing around the room. That was the first time I had heard surround sound and I still remember it
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1624297:date=May 1 2007, 03:59 PM:name=Caboose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Caboose @ May 1 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]1624297[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    They should do this in games...
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In games, you're moving around, and the sources of the sounds are moving around. It's not doable any more than it already is done, which is to say, surround sound.
  • RustySpoonRustySpoon Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18069Members
    edited May 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1624461:date=May 2 2007, 10:15 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ May 2 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]1624461[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    In games, you're moving around, and the sources of the sounds are moving around. It's not doable any more than it already is done, which is to say, surround sound.

I'm by no means an expert in sound or games, but isn't the point in in having two separate microphones (ears) that hear the sound at a varying level? Where surround sound calculates the direction/amplitude of a dropping shell, and accordingly plays the sound in the correct speaker as a vector sum of all the speakers (further from the source speakers being quieter, closer ones louder). This algorithm on the other hand calculates the change in wavelength as it passes through your skull, and the delay added resulting from differing distance, which are virtually non-existant, but yor brain can still process them, like mentioned in the clip.

So my humble uninformed opinion of the fact is that this is new technology, and should with a little modification be able to fit into games. Mostly FPS ones though, due to the nature of the process. I tend to think that two microphones, coupled with moving player and moving sound source, in addition to any EAX effects, multiple sources, diffraction or doppler effect, will require a buttload of processing power.

*edit*
    Here's some info: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording</a>
  • DrSuredeathDrSuredeath Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8217Members
    Portable games should truly implement this.
  • KhaimKhaim Join Date: 2002-06-28 Member: 841Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited May 2007
    Like with hearing in reality, this works by having an insanely minute delay between 'ears', or in this case, speakers, this makes your brain extrapolate where the sound -would- be located if it was an actual sound based upon you brain's natural use of sound coming in your ears. Things like infinitely small delay and volume changes are what makes the sound seem as if it's positioned differently. This also only works well with headphones as it's the only surefire way to make sure the sounds will reach the ear at the appropriate volume and time, as speaker placements vary from user to user. Modern surround sound works by broadcasting things through differently located speakers, meaning the sound literally comes from your left or right speaker. This could theoretically be done in a game, however you'd need to have the engine constantly calculate the virtual time-delay/volume reduction between 'ears' on the player's character for each sound to achieve the effect well. That is more moving towards the realm of 'virtual reality' rather than just a game.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    404'd!

... or is that just me?
  • WarriorWarrior Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13624Members
    It would be cool if this could be included in games. It sure would make some use of those 200 dollar craptastic soundcards.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    That was sooo cool. Simply too
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Surround sound FTW, this is quite awesome!
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    edited May 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1624531:date=May 2 2007, 04:58 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ May 2 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]1624531[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    404'd!

... or is that just me?

Try binaural sound in google or the wikipedia sources in the page posted earlier. If you're <i>incredibly</i> lazy, there's always <a href="http://www.noogenesis.com/binaural/binaural.html" target="_blank">this page</a>.

[edit] If I recommend searching for something, it helps if it's spelled correctly. [/edit]
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Here's a link <a href="http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=22913" target="_blank">http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=22913</a>
    That's pretty incredible.

The cues our ears use to localize sound are incredibly complex, so they are difficult to trick without spending a lot of computation on it. Look up Head Related Transfer Functions if you are interested.
  • RatonetwothreetwooneRatonetwothreetwoone Join Date: 2004-03-23 Member: 27504Members
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->because i'm easy come, easy go

little high

little low<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    Thats friggin awesome with 5.1 headphones.
    <!--quoteo(post=1624609:date=May 3 2007, 01:59 AM:name=Sub_zer0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sub_zer0 @ May 3 2007, 01:59 AM) [snapback]1624609[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Thats friggin awesome with 5.1 headphones.

There shouldn't be any difference since it's recorded in stereo, so your left ear speakers would all play the left channel equally, and any spacial perception would be the result of the cross-fading effect.
  • cshank4cshank4 Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13425Members
    Same company makes the Virtual Drug or something...

ish actually works, surprisingly.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    Zomg, give phone sex and this will be the new ######.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Dang that felt real!

Funny I'm about to get a haircut tomorrow :]
    <!--quoteo(post=1624765:date=May 3 2007, 03:12 PM:name=Haze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Haze @ May 3 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]1624765[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Virtual drugs?

Two channels at different frequencies are played, one in each ear. The resulting beat frequency will equal the difference, where fbeat = |f1 - f2|, resulting in a subsonic (below audible range) beat frequency. This subsonic frequency matches that of the common meditation brainwave for the average person.
    Yes, it actually works, but each person has a specific frequency for it to work, and some people have difficulty in entering a meditative state. Sort of like some people can't be hypnotized at all.

It's quite fun, you should try it. Not quite on par with chemical drugs, but there's no downside to it either. Free and effortless. It just might take some training for the average person to have any effect. Some people on the other hand have it instinctively, like I did. If it doesn't work for you, try again once or twice, and if it still does nothing, then just give up. Most likely your brain is wired too differently.

I'm not gonna give you a link, because you never know what mood the mods are in.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    ok that was nifty! XD

Closest I've come to that in a game is when Aureal3D were still around. Sadly Creative nuked them and I've never heard virtual sound as good until... well... this 'non virual' binaural stuff (because the recordings are real after all) :3