Ps3 Is The Console For Me!

CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Initial XB360 to ship with DVD</div> Yea, Billy has decided that the 360 will use the new HD-DVD standard, but not at launch, the launch systems will have a normal DVD drive.

<a href='http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Microsoft-Toshiba-HD-DVD-Alliance-Changes-Xbox-360-3902.shtml' target='_blank'>http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Microso...-360-3902.shtml</a>

The PS3 will use Blu-Ray, which in itself is better than HD-DVD, but I can't imagine the idea of shiping with DVD at launch, that means that all the games will all either have to be released on DVD, thus limiting the content, or future games released on HD-DVD will be incompatable with the 360.

That was a far easier desition than I thought it would have been!

BTW, /.ed, or DOOMed or whatever you call it.

Comments

• raz0rraz0r Join Date: 2003-07-24 Member: 18395Members
    Or you could just get the Revolution.
  • cshank4cshank4 Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13425Members
    Amen, Razor.

I can't help but smile when I think of all the little twelve year olds who can;t play Halo 2 on their new 1337-b0x
  • twoflowtwoflow Singing Drunk Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1950Members, Constellation
    edited July 2005
    So you're basing your choice of console on the media that their games use? That's really <span style='color:white'>Be nice.</span>
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-twoflow+Jul 31 2005, 12:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (twoflow @ Jul 31 2005, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> So you're basing your choice of console on the media that their games use? That's really <span style='color:white'>Be nice.</span> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, I'm baseing it on the amount of data that can be held on that media.

DVD holds 4.7GB, Blu-ray holds 27GB, and double layer Blue-ray holds 50GB.

HD-DVD holds about 15GB.

The content on the 360 will be limited.
  • twoflowtwoflow Singing Drunk Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1950Members, Constellation
    A restriction on storage space has nothing to do with the quality of games, and you buy consoles to enjoy their games.

Are DS games necessarily inferior to PSP games? Of course not.

Judging a console by the amount its media can hold is laughable.
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    So it won't use HD-DVD at launch, but isn't the X360 being released a full year before the PS3? So we'll probably see the HD-DVD model released by the time the PS3 is or possibly beforehand.

But, for once, i agree with twoflow, judge a console by it's games, not the media format, to do that is just plain stupid.
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Still, it's a worrying business practice. If there is a chance I can't play later '360 titles on a release machine, I won't buy the release machine.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    Isnt the PS3 going to be about $600 on release? Yeah, I dont think any of these consoles are going to be getting any of my attention in the future.
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Nemesis Zero+Jul 31 2005, 06:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Nemesis Zero @ Jul 31 2005, 06:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Still, it's a worrying business practice. If there is a chance I can't play later '360 titles on a release machine, I won't buy the release machine. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well hopefully they'll make the decision to do what they already do, just with a different format. Have multiple DVD's if necessary. (Hell, a dual layer still holds 9gb, which isn't too bad) and also a HD-DVD release.

But come on, Blu-ray holds 27gb or 50gb dual layer, yeah, i'm sure all games are going to necessitate that kind of capacity in a year's time. For the time being, at least, that's an extravagance.
  • BaconTheoryBaconTheory Join Date: 2003-09-06 Member: 20615Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Supernorn+Jul 31 2005, 02:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Supernorn @ Jul 31 2005, 02:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Isnt the PS3 going to be about $600 on release? Yeah, I dont think any of these consoles are going to be getting any of my attention in the future. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Amen to that. I realize that this new technology can be expensive, but not all gamers have enough money to buy an Xbox 360 or PS3. For that matter, mostly all gamers are on budgets unless they're 13-year-olds whose parents will just buy it for them. Think about it. For $600 i could buy myself a brand-new 7800GTX or dual XFX 6800GTs and still have omney left to maybe get some more ram.
  • KungFuSquirrelKungFuSquirrel Basher of Muttons Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 103Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited July 2005
    HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are coming before they're needed, particularly in games. I've got no problem with a DVD format for the 360.

Look at it this way... Doom III + the expansion takes up a good 2.5 gigs. Far Cry, slightly over 3. These are games that are using 3-4 times the textures (for all the normal/specular/etc. passes) and the closest current comparisons to next-gen content. Imagine 3x that amount, still on a single disc.

Textures is where you'll find the big jump in file size, but with good file size compression and the still slightly limited texture memory on the new hardware, people are going to be using it smartly.

Console games also don't see the technological upheaval that PC games do. Yes, people do incredible things with console hardware over time compared to release, but I think it's far more likely we'll see a 9-10 gig PC install before we see any game needing that much content on a console. And by then we'll likely be speculating on the specs for the next generation after this one.

Hell, I don't even want to think about <i>making</i> 9 gigs of content, let alone distributing it.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Remember the days of 4 CDs per game? That wasn't so bad. And it's going to be forever and ever until we need more than 1 DVD, unless developers go crazy with the FMVs or something.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Or define what happens individually on every single occasion instead of make an algorithm(?) that works for all occasions.
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    lets start watching the bittorrent trackers

"GTA 4 BLU-RAY 50GB DISC FULL"

sure will be alot harder for pirates to pirate games lol.

50 GB isnt the limit of blu-ray, sony is experimenting with quad layer drives and discs for a capacity of 100 GB or more.

geez if they are going to make the thing have that much capacity on it, they should work on the speed so you can use it like a giant removable hard drive. endless amounts of space at your fingertips.
  • NEO_PhyteNEO_Phyte We need shirtgons&#33; Join Date: 2003-12-16 Member: 24453Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-KungFuSquirrel+Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (KungFuSquirrel @ Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think it's far more likely we'll see a 9-10 gig PC install before we see any game needing that much content on a console. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /me points to his UT2k4 folder
    <!--QuoteBegin-NEO Phyte+Jul 31 2005, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (NEO Phyte @ Jul 31 2005, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-KungFuSquirrel+Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (KungFuSquirrel @ Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think it's far more likely we'll see a 9-10 gig PC install before we see any game needing that much content on a console. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /me points to his UT2k4 folder <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What, with or without mods? That's what I thought. When people start selling 6 games on one disc, maybe we'll need an upgrade.
  • NEO_PhyteNEO_Phyte We need shirtgons&#33; Join Date: 2003-12-16 Member: 24453Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-TychoCelchuuu+Jul 31 2005, 02:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 31 2005, 02:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-NEO Phyte+Jul 31 2005, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (NEO Phyte @ Jul 31 2005, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-KungFuSquirrel+Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (KungFuSquirrel @ Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think it's far more likely we'll see a 9-10 gig PC install before we see any game needing that much content on a console. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /me points to his UT2k4 folder <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What, with or without mods? That's what I thought. When people start selling 6 games on one disc, maybe we'll need an upgrade. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    installed from the 9-CD set. the only additions have been new versions of the stuf from the install
  • PulsePulse To create, to create and escape. Join Date: 2002-08-29 Member: 1248Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-twoflow+Jul 31 2005, 11:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (twoflow @ Jul 31 2005, 11:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> So you're basing your choice of console on the media that their games use? That's really <span style='color:white'>Be nice.</span> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I didn't know any better I'd say he's basing his choice of console on the thought of one of them becoming a $300 paperweight halfway through its supposed lifespan.
  • StormLiongStormLiong Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11569Members
    As far as I've read, the price of the PS3 is gonna be really high (even compared to PS2 on first release). You get your money's worth I suppose.

I guess M$ is banking on the lower price band by putting in normal DVD first and then upping the ante once the market matures.
  • BulletHeadBulletHead Join Date: 2004-07-22 Member: 30049Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-twoflow+Jul 31 2005, 01:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (twoflow @ Jul 31 2005, 01:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A restriction on storage space has nothing to do with the quality of games, and you buy consoles to enjoy their games.

Are DS games necessarily inferior to PSP games? Of course not.

Judging a console by the amount its media can hold is laughable. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really. The more space you have, the better.

Before BluRay, you could either

A) Make a REALLY long game with sub-standard graphics due to limited space

or

B) Make a REALLY short game with awsome graphics

or

C) Make a normal leangth game with normal graphics

now, you can

A) Make a REALLY long game with REALLY good graphics WITHOUT pre-compiling most of it, resulting in no "out of world" experiences!
    <!--QuoteBegin-Pulse+Jul 31 2005, 08:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Pulse @ Jul 31 2005, 08:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If I didn't know any better I'd say he's basing his choice of console on the thought of one of them becoming a $300 paperweight halfway through its supposed lifespan.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, good point. But I still find it impossible to believe that Microsoft intend on segregating their users within a year of its release.

You're not serious with that post, are you, Bullethead? You almost had me.
  • MetalcatMetalcat Join Date: 2004-08-11 Member: 30528Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-twoflow+Jul 31 2005, 03:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (twoflow @ Jul 31 2005, 03:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Pulse+Jul 31 2005, 08:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Pulse @ Jul 31 2005, 08:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If I didn't know any better I'd say he's basing his choice of console on the thought of one of them becoming a $300 paperweight halfway through its supposed lifespan.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, good point. But I still find it impossible to believe that Microsoft intend on segregating their users within a year of its release.

You're not serious with that post, are you, Bullethead? You almost had me. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    cant you just like, mod the consoles? i know you can chip them so it should be posible to install a dvd driver :/
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Bullet, re-read KFS' post. I can see nothing short of a return of the interactive movie as a genre (stop laughing) that would really make a medium with more than six gigs of capacity necessary. Bigger sizes are going to be interesting in case of compilations, nowhere else. You just can't afford to create the assets that would fill that disc.
    My biggest worry is that MS won't be able to get all of its contractors to offer DVD and HD-DVD versions of their titles once the latter has become standard and thus cheaper.
  • Nil_IQNil_IQ Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15520Members
    I choose option 3: win the lottery and buy both.
    <!--QuoteBegin-NEO Phyte+Jul 31 2005, 12:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (NEO Phyte @ Jul 31 2005, 12:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-TychoCelchuuu+Jul 31 2005, 02:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 31 2005, 02:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-NEO Phyte+Jul 31 2005, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (NEO Phyte @ Jul 31 2005, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-KungFuSquirrel+Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (KungFuSquirrel @ Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think it's far more likely we'll see a 9-10 gig PC install before we see any game needing that much content on a console. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /me points to his UT2k4 folder <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What, with or without mods? That's what I thought. When people start selling 6 games on one disc, maybe we'll need an upgrade. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    installed from the 9-CD set. the only additions have been new versions of the stuf from the install <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Guess how many DVDs it took to fit the DVD version of the game?
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Nil IQ+Jul 31 2005, 11:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Nil IQ @ Jul 31 2005, 11:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I choose option 3: win the lottery and buy both. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol

Anyway: depending on the price, I may buy the PS3 (never liked x-box for some reason...probably because they're trying to get it to replace pc's). If the price is REASONABLE (as in...less than $500) i'l get it. If it's more: wait for a while, then buy it [OR: buy ram/gfx card/save/...]. SONY FTW

And I'd really like them to sell game packs (multiple games on 1 disc).

At a lower price (than all the games seperately, eg: 5 games for 200$) that is.
    Oh, that's rich. You expect them to charge less because they'll only have to pay the five cents for the medium once, and not four times?
  • AegeriAegeri Join Date: 2003-02-13 Member: 13486Members
    I already made up my mind to buy a PS3 anyway simply due to games I missed out on that I want. Knowing that the X360 (Not that I had any intention of buying it) may be a paper weight relatively soon into its supposed 'lifespan' isn't going to make me change my mind. I think as some have suggested microsoft are just betting on being first being their main selling point.
  • Crono5Crono5 Join Date: 2003-07-22 Member: 18357Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Rover+Jul 31 2005, 05:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Rover @ Jul 31 2005, 05:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> (never liked x-box for some reason...probably because they're trying to get it to replace pc's). <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You know you can get a Linux kit for PS2 from Sony (or could at some point), and they have big plans for making PS3 a computer?

Personally I'm a Nintendo nut, but that's because Sega died :(
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited July 2005
    I am stuck for what to get. Alot of people are changing from Sony to Nintendo with the next gen consoles although judging from the PS2's previous success the PS3 must be the biggest console which games will be made for etc. X-Box 360 media center and PS3 linux system both appeal to me more so than the Nintendo Revolution, although I don't know what extra features that holds so I'm biased.

EDIT: Sorry for the more than terrible English (sentence structure in particular) as I've been up well over 30 hours and worked 24 of them.