Ebay And Paypal

CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">confused</div> Ok, I turned 18 a few weeks ago, and wanted to be irrisponsible with my monies, so I opened a checking account. I got my Visa debit card in the mail yesterday and went to newegg to buy a 9800XT that they had for around $180, it was out of stock... I checked ebay and there it was, I set my max bid to $180 and ended up winning the auction. I also got a stick of RAM from newegg on the same paypal account that I used for ebay and have had nothing go wrong.

The Ebay thing is confusing me. The person who I bought the card from said she couldn't accept the payment. I can't figure out why she would be unable to accept my payment and then newegg would be able to with the same paypal account.

Here's an email I got with the name/address removed.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello,
Sorry about that. For some reason I am unable to accept the paypal payment. I think in order for me to accept money through paypal it needs to come from bank account or from paypal credit. Please send a cashier's check / mo to ... <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm new to ebay and paypal, what the hell is going on here?

I really don't want to get scammed...

Here's the auction too... <a href='http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202253666' target='_blank'>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5202253666</a>

Comments

• TyrainTyrain Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11746Members
    Can't you just transfer the money like normal people would do? Why all that paypal crap?
  • SandrockSandrock Join Date: 2002-12-16 Member: 10905Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    When you go into paypal to transfer the funds to her, you are choosing to take the money out of your visa card. In order for her to accept paypal funds from a credit card, she needs to upgrade her paypal account to accept credit card payments (they deduct like 2% from every transaction she receives). Because she is not upgraded, you need to withdraw the money from your bank account into your paypal account (takes 3-4 business days) instead of through the visa card (instant). It'll be the only way she can accept it without upgrading her account.
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    Sandrock is correct, and it can actually take up to ten business days, they just advise at least three to four, and it usually is.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    Ok, and by sending a casheers check or money order, would that be less secure than paypall?

The seller only has 4 prior sales. But they all have good feedback.
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    Stick with the paypal, then in case they don't send the merchandise you actually have a way to track it easier and faster.

Examples:

1. Money orders can not always be tracked and it can take up to four months to accurately track it down, IF they can find it.

2. Cashier's check is easier, since its the banks money, but not so much can be done if they take it and run.

3. PayPal allows you the option of calling in legal action, since it was a contract, via ebay.