Republica Del Norte

reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">So it begins...</div>

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->An immigration activist group is drawing attention to a photograph showing a billboard ad for a Spanish-language TV newscast in L.A. on which the "CA" abbreviation after "Los Angeles" has been crossed out and the word "Mexico" added in its place.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href='http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43973' target='_blank'>http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=43973</a>

Oh boy...once again the estranged tag-team duo of soulless money grabbing capitalists and whiney liberals are working to make a muck of America.

I guess were one step closer to <a href='http://www.aztlan.net/homeland.htm' target='_blank'>this</a>

Comments

• theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    Someone makes a billboard, therefore the American southwest is seceding to Mexico? If you want to post alarmist, nativist crap like this, you could have at least resurrected the immigration thread, so we'd have something worthwhile to discuss.
  • TrevelyanTrevelyan Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14834Members
    Like the power hungery people in the government will allow the United states to lose a significant portion of it's landmass to mexico... or whatever new government they setup. Yes the day they declare it tanks will be rolling down LA streets. The world isn't getting any bigger people... we need room to build and live.
  • SkySky Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28131Members
    Jeez, touchy much? I've heard Canada referred to as "America's attic", but we aren't exactly preparing to invade them.

Right, GWB?
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sky+Apr 27 2005, 02:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sky @ Apr 27 2005, 02:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Jeez, touchy much? I've heard Canada referred to as "America's attic", but we aren't exactly preparing to invade them.

Right, GWB? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    @Sky: I don't know.. if we did invade Canada.. at least we would be the largest country in the world (landmass size), of course our population density would drop astronomically, but meh, who cares. Not to mention we get to have "New France." (Quebec)

I agree with theclam, overreaction on the part of the orginal poster.
  • CForresterCForrester P0rk(h0p Join Date: 2002-10-05 Member: 1439Members, Constellation
    edited April 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-Cyndane+Apr 27 2005, 04:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Cyndane @ Apr 27 2005, 04:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Not to mention we get to have "New France." (Quebec) <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    PLEASE TAKE IT DEAR GOD I AM SO SICK OF FRENCH SIGNS

(It's a law here that a sign has to be in French and, if there's any English on the sign, the French has to be at least twice as big.)

[EDIT:] Anyway, I don't see immigration as being much of a problem. If it's that bad, ship them to Canada, we've got plenty of room.
  • theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    I would encourage anti-immigration people to look at anti-immigration movements from the 19th Century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Know-Nothing_Party).

Ask yourself if the country would be better off today if they got their way:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->    * Severe limits on immigration, especially from Catholic countries (Ireland, Italy, France)
        * Restricting political office to native-born Americans (the U.S. Constitution only restricts the office of President in this way).
        * Mandating a wait of 21 years before an immigrant could gain citizenship.
        * Restricting public school teaching to Protestants.
        * Mandating daily Bible readings in public schools (from the Protestant version of the Bible).
        * Restricting the sale of liquor.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Personally, I don't think that all those Irish, Italian, German, Polish, and Jewish immigrants created problems. If anything, we're better off because we're a nation of immigrants. I don't see a reason why Mexican immigrants are any different.
  • CrisqoCrisqo Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11625Members
    Yeah...but they all wanted to come here <i>legally</i>... I think thats the sticky wicket with Mexico.
  • FilthyLarryFilthyLarry Join Date: 2003-08-31 Member: 20423Members
    edited April 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-theclam+Apr 27 2005, 06:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (theclam @ Apr 27 2005, 06:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I would encourage anti-immigration people to look at anti-immigration movements from the 19th Century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Know-Nothing_Party).

Ask yourself if the country would be better off today if they got their way:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->    * Severe limits on immigration, especially from Catholic countries (Ireland, Italy, France)
        * Restricting political office to native-born Americans (the U.S. Constitution only restricts the office of President in this way).
        * Mandating a wait of 21 years before an immigrant could gain citizenship.
        * Restricting public school teaching to Protestants.
        * Mandating daily Bible readings in public schools (from the Protestant version of the Bible).
        * Restricting the sale of liquor.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Personally, I don't think that all those Irish, Italian, German, Polish, and Jewish immigrants created problems. If anything, we're better off because we're a nation of immigrants. I don't see a reason why Mexican immigrants are any different. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes but with all due respect, the world was different back then.

America was less populated (considerably) as was the rest of the world.

Means of travel have changed - making it much easier to reach the US. The world is much more connected than ever before.

Would you like to invite half of China's population to come visit? Some restrictions should be in place IMO.

How many immigrants are too much in your opinion?
  • Deus_Ex_MachinaDeus_Ex_Machina Join Date: 2004-07-01 Member: 29674Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Crisqo+Apr 27 2005, 07:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crisqo @ Apr 27 2005, 07:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah...but they all wanted to come here <i>legally</i>... I think thats the sticky wicket with Mexico. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You had to do that, didn't you?
  • maniacrippermaniacripper Join Date: 2004-01-13 Member: 25288Members, Constellation
    hey they can add it to their collection of cities with the worst air quality in the world, as an american I vote they take LA and throw in the rest of california as change.

seriously though reasa cheer up.
  • GrendelGrendel All that is fear... Join Date: 2002-07-19 Member: 970Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Playtester
    <!--QuoteBegin-Crisqo+Apr 28 2005, 01:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crisqo @ Apr 28 2005, 01:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah...but they all wanted to come here <i>legally</i>... I think thats the sticky wicket with Mexico. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You think Mexicans <i>prefer</i> to work without rights or benefits illegally?
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    God I hate this. You want to make a nation based on who was here first? Get the hell out and give everything back to the Native Americans. What? They were massacred? Oh well then, that's too bad, I guess things should stay as they are. Republica Del Norte... to hell with that.
  • GrendelGrendel All that is fear... Join Date: 2002-07-19 Member: 970Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Playtester
    Yeah, I've always wanted to see what a <b>Native american</b> would have to say on this matter. I guess internet access is still kind of thin on the reservations?

I think I've worked out who WhitePower is.
  • CrisqoCrisqo Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11625Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You think Mexicans prefer to work without rights or benefits illegally?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well guess whose problem that is. The people hiring them and the people that wanted to come over here without getting their greencard/visa/whatever.
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Crisqo+Apr 28 2005, 07:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crisqo @ Apr 28 2005, 07:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You think Mexicans prefer to work without rights or benefits illegally?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well guess whose problem that is. The people hiring them and the people that wanted to come over here without getting their greencard/visa/whatever. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank god someone else in here feels the same way.
  • mr_drug_lordmr_drug_lord Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34836Members
    Somehow I think he thinks different. ly
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    Feelin' Hot, hot, hawt.

***Locked***
This discussion has been closed.