Top 5 Things You Wish All Marines Would "get"

2»

Comments

• EntropiuaEntropiua Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15736Members
    1) If you're in a heavy train, or a stack of marines guarding somewhere or going somewhere, and something shows up to shoot, and you're in the front: DUCK.

The whole point of having marines in groups is so they can all shoot at something, and your l33t circle-strafing skillz will help you stay alive a whole lot less than letting the three guys behind you shoot the skulk too.

2) Conversely, if you're in the back of a heavy train, and you get attacked, don't start shooting unless you can see the target. I mean, really see it, not just OMG I CAN SEE AN ONOS HORN POKING OUT PAST THE THREE HEAVIES IN FRONT OF ME see.

Instead, pull out your damn welder and weld.

3) Comms that turretspam marine start

4) Comms who routinely don't drop ammo to people who request it. If someone's out of ammo, it's probably because they didn't hump the armory and instead went to go shoot things, *and* lived long enough to run out of what they had. Both of these are behaviors you want to encourage -- either give them ammo or acknowledge them somehow.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody's near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Marines standing around in a group waiting for one of the others to build the TF, and when they finally decide to bother, they <b>all do it together</b>. Makes me want to kill.

Marines not going to waypoints.

Marines ramboing when I don't want them to.

Marines <b>NOT</b> ramboing when I want them to.

Marines dying to skulks you know were easy to kill.

Heavy Trains who believe the term is literal, and walk in a line towards Onos.

Smurfing clan asshats that are busy being 1337 at each other.

- Shockwave
  • Diablo_fxDiablo_fx Join Date: 2003-02-21 Member: 13793Members
    1. Thinking ability. (everybody can think for them selfs)
    2. Half decent skills
    3. New items(irl) for the poor people.
  • RushakraRushakra Join Date: 2004-03-25 Member: 27523Members
    1) USE YOUR SOUNDCARD
    If you're running down a hallway and there is a skulk chasing you, chances are HE IS GOING TO BE MAKING NOISE. If you hear something behind you, it's probably a good idea to turn around and SHOOT. When you start hearing BITE SOUNDS from behind you, it's all the more urgent. If you begin TAKING DAMAGE AND DO NOT TURN AROUND ONCE, good luck trying to get a Heavy/HMG/Medpack later on, idiot.

2) SECURE OR DESTROY?
    Fact: Marines can take down a Hive faster than the Aliens can put one up. It takes three or so minutes for a Hive to complete after it has been dropped, how long do you think they last with only half of the alien team alive and 8-10 Marines with shotguns / LMGs getting medspammed in there without any aliens respawning?
    Late game, DO NOT LOSE YOUR MOMENTUM. When a Hive goes down, PUSH THE ALIENS. Don't let them get defensive. Don't let them get res or gestate into new Fades or Onos. You need to walk into their last hive just after their Fades have respawned and are gestating, then scramble some eggs. Fortifying a position when the game can be won in 2 minutes is senseless delaying and only opens things up for an alien comeback.

3) COVER YOUR ALLIES
    If you're going to guard a room while your buddy builds the RT / PG, DON'T STARE AT HIM. Watch the entrances. If you are being welded, DO NOT STARE AT THE WELDER. Scan around for aliens. If you see a GLer running towards you in the reload animation, WATCH HIS BACK. Open your map and LOOK FOR GIANT RED DOTS RUNNING UP BEHIND YOU.

4) LERK KILLING
    If you must kill a Lerk (defending a Hive room, waiting for reinforcements or structures) in a vent, USE YOUR PISTOL. Level1 Weapons is enough to kill a Lerk with a full pistol clip. It's accurate and faster. Hide somewhere in a corner, wait for the Lerk to get cozy and stop moving around, THEN POP HIM. You only need ONE MAN doing this, the rest should be watching for Skulks instead of staring at a vent with their LMG like that's going to make a difference.

5) ONOS / FADE ENTRAPMENT
    When defending a position, the chances of your team taking out a hit-and-run Onos or Fade is slim. You can increase your chances, however, by surprising them. Damaging the Onos or Fade in the doorway only makes them back out and force you to reload when the Skulks come. Allow the Onos or Fade to come all the way into the room and begin beating on things before opening fire. The farther in he is when he starts getting killed, the farther he has to run away while still getting shot. If Marines can sneak in behind them and block their exit, even better. Good examples of this are Marine Start in Tanith (stand by the doorway and slide into it when the Onos enters, don't start shooting until he's on the gray plate in the floor) or Hera (stand on the walkway up top, let the Onos get into the spawn area, then open fire. No escape.)
  • Minstrel_KnightMinstrel_Knight The truth and nothing but the truth... Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9562Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin-Steel Monkey+Mar 14 2005, 07:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Steel Monkey @ Mar 14 2005, 07:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Apos+Mar 14 2005, 05:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Apos @ Mar 14 2005, 05:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 3. Leave that lerk in the vent alone!
    How many marine teams are completely ruined by half the team trying to shoot at a lerk sporing from a key vent? Newsflash: if you don't just stand around in Marine start, spores can't really hurt you anyway, and only waste a man from the alien team on a useless enterprise. But, of course, it's NOT useless if one alien can tie up half the marine team running around in MS yelling at the comm to give them a grenade launcher. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is one of my biggest annoyances. I have seen so many marines in pubs sit and try to pistol whip a lone lerk in the vent on eclipse, its hilarious. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually if you can get 2/3 marines watching the vent with their pistol it is very possible to vaporize the lerk when he pops out to spore.
  • IBTIBT Join Date: 2003-10-22 Member: 21879Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Diablo fx+Mar 15 2005, 01:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Diablo fx @ Mar 15 2005, 01:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 1. Thinking ability. (everybody can think for them selfs) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    actually, when im the commander, thats the biggest problem i have...
  • FlyingcowFlyingcow Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41451Members
    edited March 2005
    marine tips

Kill all the gorges you see. they wont kill you. its pretty easy to knife a gorge.

if you see an onos: A. run away B. jump on to something high and shoot it until your team kills it C. Jump into a narrow area that the onos cannot pass. (vent, boxes, pipes)

if 2 people are building a resource tower, have one person stand in front of the resource tower and he will be the guard. the other person will build the tower.

CHECK THE CEILINGS! i dont know how many times people have died because they got ambushed from above.

facts

one clip of 50 LMG bullets can kill a gorge.
    10-12 LMG bullets can kill a skulk.
    5 pistol bullets will kill a skulk.

movement
    when you are being ambushed, you should strafe and jump at the same time. when you jump, you add more distance between you and the enemy if you are attacked.

reload
    run behind your teammates when you need to reload.

any "no ****" comments will not be valid since this is aimed towards new players.
  • EspressoEspresso Join Date: 2003-12-03 Member: 23916Members
  • AaronAaron vroom vroom der party startah Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7020Members
    I am lazy so I am going to skip reading the thread, and offer:

YDHTSTOC: You Don't Have To Shoot Those Offense Chambers

(i know, i'm guilty of this myself. it's just that they're so... so... defiant, they're mocking me nOOO I HAVE TO SHOOT THEM AAAAAAAAH)
  • Cj_the_DjCj_the_Dj Join Date: 2004-03-18 Member: 27398Members
    there is a learn NS map being made. i saw some screenies a while ago.

no more nubs ftw
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you have default equipment - and <u>ONLY</u> default equipment - <i>chase that fade or onos!</i> You can down a 75 res spacecow if you go after it with an LMG. I've done so on more than one occasion, much to the chagrin of the fleeing alien. ^^