NS on LAN without steam

KakekaKakeka Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59546Members
How do I play it without steam? My friends dont got steam :/ and we want to play it on lan.
Is it possible to play it without using steam?

Comments

• zNuzNu Join Date: 2006-10-09 Member: 58063Members, Constellation
    i thought you need steam
  • KakekaKakeka Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59546Members
    "I thought you need steam" What do you mean?
    Do we need half-life on our steam account to play NS on steam?
  • SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    NS3.x is only available to people who own HL1 (Not HL1:S) on Steam. There may be a way to circumvent that, but I don't know what it might be.

You could go with an older version of NS on your computers if you still have a HL CD kicking around, which doesn't require Steam.

You could also play Gloom (A Quake 2 mod) or Tremulous (A standalone game based on the Quake 3 engine), both of which feature alien vs marine gameplay.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited January 2007
    Play 2.01 NS on WON. Pm jiriki @ Quakenet if you need any instructions to set up server.

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Or you end up registering to french forums while trying to find HLDS 2.9241.12B-rc5 patches in addition to ns files from 10 different servers which all are borked.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • Lt_PatchLt_Patch Join Date: 2005-02-07 Member: 40286Members
    That's basically it.

There is NO WAY of playing the current version of Natural Selection (beyond 3.x i believe) without a valid, unique, Half-Life CD-Key bound to a valid Steam account, for each person who wants to play on the LAN.

If they all have their own CD-keys for Half-Life, then go to <a href="http://www.steampowered.com" target="_blank">http://www.steampowered.com</a> and download the Steam client, and follow their instructions for making a new account, and binding a CD-key to the account.
    Do bear in mind that the key then becomes essentially useless for anyone who wants to play it online after that point.

If they don't all own their own copy of Half-Life, with unique, valid keys, then stop sharing your games around, get them to spend some money (about £5, or US$10), and buy a copy of Half-Life, then follow the above instructions to create a Steam account, and bind the new Half-Life keys to it.