Tech tree random limitations

DailyNodesDailyNodes Join Date: 2004-09-26 Member: 31928Members
Assuming that NS2 will have a larger tech tree, may i suggest random tech tree limits per round?

As an example:
In a round the marines may not have access to Grenade Launchers but Siege Cannon's cost less to produce;
The aliens lose access to lvl 3 abilties but have all melee attacks increased.

This would create a smaller set of strategies that each side would have to decide between thus making tactics less confusing and more unique round by round.
Now this would only work if the NS2 tech tree is more complex since it would thrive on more complex strategies.
what ya think?

Comments

• glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Could be some balance issues... but seeing the game is way out from completion i can't really say that.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    No. This would way too often screw you over:

"We cant buy SGs this round, but JP is cheaper, yay.."

Commanders depend on haveing everything when meeting a situation (hive location, reloc, map, alien progression)
  • GullanianGullanian Join Date: 2006-12-05 Member: 58910Members
    Maybe map specific limitations?
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1584846:date=Dec 6 2006, 05:58 PM:name=Gullanian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gullanian @ Dec 6 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1584846[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Maybe map specific limitations?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds pointless.
  • DumbMarineDumbMarine Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13645Members
    edited December 2006
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe map specific limitations?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What upgrades would you have in mind of restricting on your map? O_o

EDIT: In the interest of balance, please.
  • DailyNodesDailyNodes Join Date: 2004-09-26 Member: 31928Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What upgrades would you have in mind of restricting on your map? O_o

EDIT: In the interest of balance, please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    err well that'd be another topic... and that could probably be implemented through map scripting
    Ya, know... i'm gonna retract this suggestion until the devs state how complex the new tech trees are gonna be. It would only work if its complex anyway =/
  • EbayleEbayle Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39131Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1584945:date=Dec 6 2006, 03:03 PM:name=DumbMarine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DumbMarine @ Dec 6 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]1584945[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    What upgrades would you have in mind of restricting on your map? O_o

EDIT: In the interest of balance, please.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->MARINES CAN'T DROP STRUCTURES, LOLOLOL 8U

Yeah, I'd have to see the ns2 techtree before giving my opinion. :3<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • HarrowerHarrower Join Date: 2005-03-16 Member: 45478Members
    There could be great possibilities if a given location (read: map) had more available natural resources of a given type, and therefore, certain parts of the tree were easier to produce than others.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    C&C tibirian sun, had a chaos mod out similar to this, imagine a tech tree with well over 200 techs, with the finest of coding, if you choose to guild a grenader first out of yoru barracks your end foot unit would be different to if you choose to build a rocket luncher

the out come of buildigna barrack over a silo first or a mech lab or a refinery all these things and there orders you constructed them in designated your final techs

never once out of do i ever remeber haveing the same final techs, i remeber picking up qutie a few of the same techs as my order of build at certain points was a trait i held true to, but wow, was it a hella fun mod

obisouly the tech trees cut off some where which limited you from getting all the tech evently but some of the units in this game where crazy, and i belvie light the way for some units and the unit lvl and progression system used in RA2

its exstreamly unbalanced but can be exstreamly fun, more so if your winning with a good res flow, g's even looseing can be fun being desimated by units you have never ever seen before

but i mean what do you have in mind?

120 diff gun types, ammo types, diff armors / suits some bio some soild steel some ninja light kevlar cat suits
    36 diffrent semi useles buildings?

what about aliens 12 types of acid 150 upgrades based on armor types
    5 hive types each allowing one of three diffrent chambers to be build allowing one of nine upgrades to be taken?
  • rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
    random, arbitrary limitations really dont appeal.

maybe random, shiny, end-game bonus techs - that kind of appeals. e.g. when you've finally amassed enough res to build your 500 res uberdestructorator it allows you to unleash the scorpians, build trebuchets on wheels, etc...

i don't like randomness particularly though...
  • Irish_PirateIrish_Pirate Join Date: 2005-07-24 Member: 56700Members
    I have to agree with rsd. I think the only way randomness would really work well is if it's some arbitrary end game device. I think it would be nice to have some incredibly long build/research time structure/upgrade that you can only start if you have a big enough advantage over the other team, and goes away if you lose that advantage just to make sure games don't drag on too long. Then again people would probably just delay the game so they could see it happen if it was in anyway cool.