Lights and creep

TheOriginal10RoundTheOriginal10Round Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58528Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What can marines do to counter low light areas?</div>If the creep is incorporated into NS2 will we see some sort of low light vision goggles?

Aside from the flash light will the marines be able to counter the lack of light?

It was said that as the creep progresses that certain rooms with a circuit box, or whatever it may be, will be covered up and the lights of that room or hallway will shut off and vice versa if the creep is removed.

Thats what I would like to know.................and if that is the case what would the marines get to use as a reliable low light supplement? I.R. ? Light Intensification? Or would they just be stuck with a flash light and would the flash light be helmet mounted, weapon mounted, or hand held?

This is both a question and a idea...............I think....

Comments

• AlcapwnAlcapwn &quot;War is the science of destruction&quot; - John Abbot Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17590Members
    edited December 2006
    The source engine has a working flashlight; not the horribly hacked contraption that the HL1 engine's flashlight was.
    So i would assume people would actually use there flashlights now.
  • TheOriginal10RoundTheOriginal10Round Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58528Members
    Yeah I understand that but would there be something else that could be viable............that's the question.
  • DumbMarineDumbMarine Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13645Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lights and creep, What can marines do to counter low light areas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Scanner Sweep & MT.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Using a flashlight only would ad to the atmoshphere IMO. How cool would it be walking into an infested room that is pitch black with only a flashlight!

This kind of thing deters rambos from going into a fully infected room as all they have is a flashlight to look around.
  • HarrowerHarrower Join Date: 2005-03-16 Member: 45478Members
    Is it possible to dynamically block lights in Source? Wouldn't the entire area have to be re-lit, compiled, and rendered with rad?
  • AlcapwnAlcapwn &quot;War is the science of destruction&quot; - John Abbot Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17590Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1583278:date=Dec 2 2006, 12:10 PM:name=Harrower)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Harrower @ Dec 2 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]1583278[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Is it possible to dynamically block lights in Source? Wouldn't the entire area have to be re-lit, compiled, and rendered with rad?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can turn lights on and off. Thats good enough...
  • TheOriginal10RoundTheOriginal10Round Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58528Members
    edited December 2006
    Aight, I guess in the future they tossed out technology in favor of the flashlight.

Scannar sweeping a dark room still leaves it a dark room......and MT doesn't do much if you are in the a room with no light.

All i'm saying is that the aliens would have a total and unequivical advantage in the dark, it wouldn't matter if there were 5 marines with flashlights, pretty soon they would get whittled down and leaving the 1-3 marines at an even bigger disadvantage. Remember the aliens can switch their vision, nevertheless................i'll just wait and see.

Harrower, did you read the home page? <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/</a> it explains a little about the creep and it may or may not even make it into the game................it is to be seen.
  • N_3N_3 &#092;o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
    flares would be cool
  • CrazyFoolCrazyFool Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27171Members
    you could always drop portable flood lights like turrets. or just use flares, maybe nvg's
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    If the flashlight is to be implemented in NS2, I would like to have it so you can see where other people's flashlights circle on the wall. I know currently in games like hl2:dm, you can see the 'aura' coming from the flashlight from another player, but not the area its lighting up since that's only seen by the client.

Imagine walking into a dark room with 3 marines all looking around with the flashlights, only to hear a noise in the dark and they all aim their light at that spot instantly but nothing is there...

Now that's atmosphere. Not sure if this would be feasible for multiplayer, but it looks like with the new engine upgrades it would be possible.
  • ScribblesScribbles Join Date: 2003-11-05 Member: 22323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1583596:date=Dec 3 2006, 10:59 AM:name=N_3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_3 @ Dec 3 2006, 10:59 AM) [snapback]1583596[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    flares would be cool

Agreed, flares would be awesome. Halflife 2 and Episode 1 have some of those flare scenes, and they are awesome. The red light is really freaky.

Make flares a researchable tech, like grenades. Besides letting them light up dark areas, you could make them counter cloaking aliens too, by making them somewhat more visible.

Flares rule!
  • CrotalusCrotalus Join Date: 2003-12-02 Member: 23871Members
    I totally agree with the flashlight idea. If NS2 were to be made more dark and scary compared to NS, then flashlights would definitely improve the atmosphere. Like what Aeroripper said, ambient noises and stealthy aliens would keep all the marines on the edge, especially if all they've got is a direct beam flashlight...

As for flares, I think that's a pretty good solution too. The flashlights would be direct beam, it wouldn't allow you to see too much. Then, you could have flare grenades, that would provide poor, but covering illumination. Only a few marines would be able to carry them, and that makes them extremely important when exploring new territory. I can see a group of marines entering a dark room, all of them wave their flashlights around trying to figure out where that stratching noise is coming from. A marine throws the only flare in their group, and it turns out to just be a loose panel. Then, a skulk comes out from behind and surprises everyone while they are still breathing their sighs of relief.
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1583079:date=Dec 1 2006, 10:46 PM:name=WaterBoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WaterBoy @ Dec 1 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]1583079[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    The source engine has a working flashlight; not the horribly hacked contraption that the HL1 engine's flashlight was.
    So i would assume people would actually use there flashlights now.

HL really was good for its time, flashlight looked great when I played it for the first time
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    It may have been good for its time but hl1 is too old. Bring on source.

Flares are a great idea. And it should be a researchable upgrade.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1583692:date=Dec 3 2006, 04:13 PM:name=Scribbles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scribbles @ Dec 3 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]1583692[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Agreed, flares would be awesome. Halflife 2 and Episode 1 have some of those flare scenes, and they are awesome. The red light is really freaky.
    Make flares a researchable tech, like grenades. Besides letting them light up dark areas, you could make them counter cloaking aliens too, by making them somewhat more visible.

Flares rule!
    Good idea, I'd like to see flares treated as grenades. You can throw them at some point, they'll vanish after some time and could burn nearby cloaked aliens and thus uncloak them which even adds a personal but limited scanner sweep for marines.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Id rather see glow sticks than flares everything would be bathed in the creepy green glow. i think it would be a better atmosphere.
  • ScribblesScribbles Join Date: 2003-11-05 Member: 22323Members
    Hmm, but realistically, glowsticks would have a much longer duration than flares, which might interfere with game balance. Plus red or orange light tends to give a much better contrast than green light.
    Flares would be cool; but they would probably wind up to be like catalyst packs.

IE, never researched; and never used.