Keith Olbermann on the military commissions act

13»

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Okay, Cxwf. Let's pretend I am an american citizen for now. One day I am arrested, charged with being an unlawful alien combatant, and imprisoned. This is a clear violation of my rights. However, anyone I try to speak to tells me that I am an unlawful alien combatant, and have no rights. I refute this, but as an unlawful alien combatant, I do not have the right to habeas corpus, so I cannot bring this before a court except by the good graces (*dry cough*) of my captors. Catch 22.
  • CxwfCxwf Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13168Members, Constellation
    Well, they had to bring you up before a court in the first place to have you declared an unlawful combatant, and that court would have to be egregiously abusing its power to ignore the fact that you were a citizen during that process. If this were ever brought to light, I imagine everyone sitting on the court that day, as well as all the soldiers who arrested you and didn't bother to report your citizenship, plus the soldiers who guarded your cell, would be quickly impeached/court martialed.

However, it might be tricky to GET it brought to light, in the rare event that it should happen. So I could probably agree that more oversight on this program would be a good thing.

In other words, there are checks to prevent this, but there aren't any doublechecks or triplechecks, and some doublechecks would be nice.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1575705:date=Nov 10 2006, 08:22 PM:name=Cxwf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cxwf @ Nov 10 2006, 08:22 PM) [snapback]1575705[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    doublechecks would be nice.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. The lack of such things is what disturbs people so much.

If the authors of such an act had only pure intentions, such checks would have been written into the act, would they not? This is what concerns everyone.