NERO - Learning robots

StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
<div class="IPBDescription">(not the CD burn software)</div><a href="http://www.nerogame.org/" target="_blank">NERO : Neuro-Evolving Robotic Operatives</a>

If you're interested in evolution and artificial life/intelligence , and have a lot of time to waste , this is for you. The first of a new game genre (or hybrid at least) , it features armies of robots gifted with evolving neural networks for brains , learning how to perform tasks over the course of their evolution - it is up to you to decide what makes a robot "fit" for his purpose , which ones to clones and which ones to smite. Be warned - it takes considerable patience to train a functional fighting squad , but it is rewarding to see them execute the refined tactics you have conditioned (as opposed to programmed) them to use , from learning left/right navigation to engaging enemies from a fixed relative distance.

Once you think your squad is good enough (beats most standart AI regardless of arena settings) , you can lead them to battle with other player's online. You can lead them with the flag there - if you have taught them to (it can be also used to scatter them or trigger shooting)

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited September 2006
    Sounds awesome. If it's a free download I'll be getting it.

--Scythe--

Update: I'm up to 800 generations and my squad can navigate a fairly basic maze. This is awesome! Everyone should start training an army.
  • KGB_GaralKGB_Garal Join Date: 2005-06-09 Member: 53476Members
    Wow I remember playing this for a good amount of time about a year ago. It doesn't look like they've changed much since then unfortunately =\ Awesome concept though and I hope some RTS's start incorporating the NERO idea into their games.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    This reminds me of some robot competition thing where you'd write little commands for them in Java. Do a lot of people play this?