Epic Scale Battles

Irish_PirateIrish_Pirate Join Date: 2005-07-24 Member: 56700Members
<div class="IPBDescription">why limit to one map?</div>Imagine going beyond one game at a time as we look at them now and having multiple areas that need to be faught over and controlled. Your not just removing the presence of the enemy from the area, you are making sure they can't come back for quite a while.

My idea is to have effectively 3 areas to fight over. This could be done over 3 maps or one big map.

Both teams will start in the middle which will look much like how current games do. Instead of ending at that one map you push further and make sure you really hit the enemy hard. Marines will push out and have to get a new com chair in the alien territory, aliens will have to estalbish a hive in the marine territory.

There would be advantages for having more territory controlled that should bleed through to the new area, but it should still be similar to a new game.

The defenders will have a starting advantage in thier own territory when it gets pushed to them (structures already built, defencive measures already in place) but the other team will get a bonus to res production/spawn rate or something for controlling all that other territory.

This might be best done as an alternate play style to classic and combat. Maps could be specifically designed to change in order depending on who wins and give teams advantages like starting structures and bonuses to res production.

Comments

• J_D_WJ_D_W Join Date: 2003-05-22 Member: 16598Members
    edited September 2006
    Would this be on the same server? for example, lets say the neutral map was NS_... neutral. So you play on NS_Neutral and the aliens win, next map = NS_marine, a marine-biased map. The marines win, the map goes back to neutral, then the marines win again, pushing the aliens back to ns_kharra, biased toward aliens a little.
    Each map could have different stylings of technology (polished metal in marines, dirty overgrown stone in the alien ones).

I totally did not rip this off from Guild Wars : Factions, © Arenanet/NcSoft. (sue protection. i hope)
    *cough* <a href="http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Alliance_Battle" target="_blank">http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Alliance_Battle</a>*cough*

*cough* battlefield maps section *cough*

So, this is a good idea, even with a normal sized server really, you could have a battlefield style map, (16, 32, possibly 64) for different sized servers, or just set up a supercomputer in the sky that uploads/downloads at 60000MBS per m/s, and get 5000 people on a server.
  • Irish_PirateIrish_Pirate Join Date: 2005-07-24 Member: 56700Members
    I think it would track the games server side. I don't think it would be wise to have servers affecting other servers and stuff even in the context of some huge battle (sounds cool but people like to control thier own servers).
  • SDJasonSDJason Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16841Members
    Something Like Starfleet Command 2's Metaverse, possibly??

~Jason
  • Andrew_FirebornAndrew_Fireborn Join Date: 2006-09-21 Member: 58036Members
    It <i>sounds</i> nice... but the style of play hasn't really been set in stone yet...

I'd have to say, if it does go the "NS2 is the War" route, then we have a server mode that's like the Boneyards (Total Annihilation)/Emperor: Battle for Dune/Or similar warfront game types. In which maps are "controlled" by one side or the other, and can be invaded anywhere along the frontline.

With the server admins deciding the layout and placement of maps within this larger map. I suppose that's a little much to hope for... but the "invasion" could be decided upon with something similar to the votemap command we have currently. (With the winning side of the prior round being the only side that votes.)