[NS:S] Dynamic and Dramatic Music

ZenzouZenzou Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33462Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Urgent music plays when hive or cc is dying</div>A more urgent and desperate music file will start to play when the hive or cc is either under attack or is close to dead. This will make it seem more exciting to players and would be much better than the normal ambience music playing in the bg.

Also other possible situations dynamic music could take effect:
- low health
- dying
- big fights
- creepy music when a marine is ramboing
- weird alien music when in a hive/infected area
- marine music when in cc area

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2006
    Don't the vast majority of people that play NS turn off the music?

Even new players to the game that come on ask how they disable the music. Also, can you imagine how humoursly odd it would be to hear the music switch every 10-15 seconds?

I imagine this scenario:

You get bit by a lerk and get taken down into red - panicky fast death music starts playing

You get 2 meds from the comm - ambient music returns

1 second later a skulk that you kill takes you down to red again, death music starts again.

2 meds later, the ambient music doesn't return, but fighting music comes on since your in a big battle, then continues to switch between songs every 20 seconds, and every time you get damaged or killed.
  • Garet_JaxGaret_Jax Join Date: 2003-02-23 Member: 13870Members, Constellation
    I think it would be practical to have that suggestion implemented if, say, your hive or CC drops down to 25% of its normal HP.

Although I'm one of those people who disables music, I think the idea has potential.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    If the music volume controls actually worked, more people might use it. As-is, it's stuck at full volume (which goes right along with the ear-blasting background sounds).
  • ZenzouZenzou Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33462Members, Constellation
    yeah I also play with my music turned-off mainly because it's so drab and I use my sound to play... but I'm just trying to suggest something for a more immersive play experience. so basically people can play and get really into the gaming environment.
  • J!J! NS2 Artist Join Date: 2004-11-14 Member: 32788Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    Music becomes an annoyance in any MP FPS as soon as you realise that what you hear is just as important as what you see.
  • ZenzouZenzou Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33462Members, Constellation
    I guess so... so maybe perhaps instead of making music we need more actual env ambiance or like some other suggestions the whole battle going on somewhere else and hearing it echo through the corridors... maybe we need some creepy marine screams when they die... >:D