Umbra Too Powerful

13»

Comments

• GibbyGibby Join Date: 2002-04-26 Member: 518Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Canonfodder+Nov 7 2002, 09:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Canonfodder @ Nov 7 2002, 09:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->between 2 lerks it does. and it was more accident than teamwork in my opinion. One of the lerks knew what he was doing, the other one was trying to kill people with poison gas I think. Either way we were controlling the map and ended up losing it to 2 lerks and a fade. Thats 8 on 3 to give you an idea of the numbers.

The only counter is gren launchers which we couldn't even build... stupid commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't even know what you're talking about.

The poison gas was from the Lerks, it's called Spore Cloud. And it's a 3-hive ability. Meaning, in that game, the aliens had three hives, and therefore were only counting seconds until they won.

Umbras are rarely used effectively during assaults. I drop them in front of doors and stuff so the fades can lob in acid rockets and bile bombs, but in order for me to umbra a melee-ing Onos or Fade I'd have to get into the bullet spam going on in the marine fortification. And a Lerk is dead meat when faced with hard fire. Umbra is useful and lifesaving, but it takes a LOT of energy and it dosen't last long. If a Lerk is putting down umbras that's all they're doing. They need all their energy for that and dodging nades that come flying at them. And while they could be raking up insane kills with Spore Cloud in the enclosed marine base, they're not worrying about their l33t kill count and helping teamates. So IMHO, they get an awesome defensive ability so the team wins, while they sacrafice some kill points.

Not an unheard of tradeoff.

As for the commander, grenade launchers cost hella cash (33 rps) and he was probably trying to keep your sorry butt alive with health and ammo. If you have been pushed all the way back to your base, then you've only got one RP node going. Not enough for the commander to justify spending enough to build a few turrets on a grenade launcher. Not to mention you'd probably take a Bile Bomb to the head right when you picked it up, and it would be wasted.
  • KhaimKhaim Join Date: 2002-06-28 Member: 841Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    simple solution to prevent the umbra/fade tactic, dont let them get 2 hives. I am a VERY aggressive commander and take a hive as my 1st node, set up a trio of turrets then move to another hive and set up there, then get phases at both and secure them tightly, then after that I worry about heavy wepons and armor. If you keep the aliens stuck with gorges lerks and skulks, they are in major trouble.

P.S. I ran in with a knife and knifed a fade and a lerk, took me a lot of doging, chopping, and sweating to do it, but I did.
  • Shifty_EyesShifty_Eyes Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1784Members
    That's probably because of his HEALTH genius.
    Think about it, 200hp, and 125 armour...