Darwinia

OmegamanOmegaman Join Date: 2004-01-11 Member: 25239Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Game of the Freaking Year</div> <a href='http://www.darwinia.co.uk/' target='_blank'>DARWINIA</a>

Dowload the demo and prepare for the best PC game since Uplink. It's made by the creators of Uplink too.

Comments

• PulsePulse To create, to create and escape. Join Date: 2002-08-29 Member: 1248Members, Constellation
    I tried the demo when it first came out. Aside from the graphical style, it was average at best.
  • RellixRellix Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13572Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got it when it came out, played through, definitly worth a good look.

I did find some rather easy ways to bypass a lot of difficult things in it tho, without cheating....more using my head.

It comes with full mod tools so should be some interesting mods out soon.
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    Is this actually out yet? I think I saw it on a store shelf somewhere but part of my brain is telling me that what I saw was in a dream........ odd.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I definitely love the style. I don't know how to get my darwinians to collect minerals to power the primitive refinery thingie though.
  • SkySky Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28131Members
    Promote one of them to be a leader guy, then make your darwinians follow him to a mine place. Remember that it's not enough to just right click next to the mine; the leader has to walk with the darwinians, or they'll just stop moving once they move away from him. The darwinians will automatically man the mines when they get close to them.

The demo was....interesting. Figuring out how best to fight the spiders and flying dragon things was fun, as was the "OH I get it" moment of inspiration when you realize the only way to expand to other "islands" is to sneak an engineer to set up the beacon thing without getting killed by the viruses.
  • PulsePulse To create, to create and escape. Join Date: 2002-08-29 Member: 1248Members, Constellation
    I actually might buy this game if I get confirmation that they actually fix some of the things that were broken in the demo (like most of the tutorial). While the "shooting things" aspect of the game isn't fun at all, I love the style of the game and I'm sure there's more to it than there was in the demo.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I agree. this is a good independent game company to support - Uplink was also really innovative and fun...
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    Yeah I remember looking into this when Penny Arcade linked to it. Always nice to support independent games.
  • SkySky Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28131Members
    I think it's worth the $20.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I got the full version and holy crap, it was worth it.

Such a great game, so many little nerd references, so original.

--Scythe--
  • RellixRellix Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13572Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sky+Apr 29 2005, 02:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sky @ Apr 29 2005, 02:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Promote one of them to be a leader guy, then make your darwinians follow him to a mine place. Remember that it's not enough to just right click next to the mine; the leader has to walk with the darwinians, or they'll just stop moving once they move away from him. The darwinians will automatically man the mines when they get close to them.

The demo was....interesting. Figuring out how best to fight the spiders and flying dragon things was fun, as was the "OH I get it" moment of inspiration when you realize the only way to expand to other "islands" is to sneak an engineer to set up the beacon thing without getting killed by the viruses. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That level in the full game was made harder, thigns throw eggs that hatch to the bigger badder monsters....