Real Problems With Ns.

SlickWillSlickWill Join Date: 2004-02-17 Member: 26642Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Not marine/alien imbalance.</div> Rines don't pay attention to comm and do not follow orders while working together as a group and cohesive team. That's it. Simple. There is no need to nerf aliens or make rines ultra powerful for this reason. Sure, even in match play it is lopsided a bit, but I firmly belive that it results from exceptional individual play on alien part (ie. Fades own.)

Expanding this a little bit:

The game boils down to one thing, something that we as a gaming community have largely lost sight of...keeping res flow up and the other team's flow down. This is just about impossible without teamplay.

Expanding this a little bit:

No longer is the focus of games to destroy, take and keep rts (all of which involves massive teamplay); rather the focus is to take hive locations. Rts are just a means with which to do this. I believe the focus needs to be shifted. After all, even if aliens have two hives...if they don't have higher lifeforms, then HA or JP own, especially with full upgrades. Even just SG/HMG own. You usually end of killing fades at least once, expecially when pressuring hives. If res is at a premium, the problems of having to fight 8743 fades is solved. I am not saying that one should let aliens have 3 hives while destroying res, rather I am saying that rts are more important in my mind to destroy then hives. Think, how many times have you had a two hive lockdown to have it lost to one measly MC rush with a couple of fades or an onos...That hurts.

Now, exanding this further to new issues in the newest Beta:

Lots of Rts were removed from maps. Mainly the ones outside of MS. Due to this fact, without hardcore teamplay and following of orders, keeping rine res flow up and alien res flow down is all but impossible. BHAM, the real issue of the Beta has been identified, rine inability to match alien res flow. It is not due to the res flow system, rather it is due to the physical process.

Recap:

No teamwork/order following lead to ---> No emphasis on RT destruction and/or protection leads to --> Increased difficulties with new resource node layout --> utter marine ownage.

My two cents.

Comments

• Router_BoxRouter_Box Join Date: 2004-09-07 Member: 31483Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Welcome to CAL Nuova Guardia. Please scrim more.
  • evidenceevidence Join Date: 2004-10-07 Member: 32143Members
    I agree that the marine problem is more to do with lack of teamwork (thanks co_) and if you have a good com and a good working team often marines can win.
  • MrGunnerMrGunner Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11757Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Router Box+Apr 25 2005, 01:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Router Box @ Apr 25 2005, 01:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Welcome to CAL Nuova Guardia. Please scrim more. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Truth to the max.
  • DrFuriousDrFurious Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10445Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-SlickWill+Apr 25 2005, 01:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SlickWill @ Apr 25 2005, 01:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Sure, even in match play it is lopsided a bit, but I firmly belive that it results from exceptional individual play on alien part (ie. Fades own.) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe you should know what the hell you're talking about before you do so.
  • DuoGodOfDeathDuoGodOfDeath Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1044Members
    Instead of wasting my time fading in scrims now. I find going Onos in 4 minutes much more easier to destroy the Marines easily.

Aliens are just over powered, just a bit not much. I remember when fades used to pop out at the 3 minutes mark, now I get to onos at the 4.
  • TOmekkiTOmekki Join Date: 2003-11-25 Member: 23524Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-SlickWill+Apr 25 2005, 01:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SlickWill @ Apr 25 2005, 01:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> stuff <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    dont worry, stick around and play scrims and it'll work out.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    You basicly just copy pasted this from the LM forums, didn't you? It sounded much cooler there, because alot of the issues you mention are alot more relevent to that comunity then they are to many of the servers and comunities in the rest of NS.

I tend to agree with alot of your points in comparison to lunixmonster game play, but I can't agree with them as blanket statements. Other pubs play a totally different game then we do no lunixmonster, and clan play is the same thing in the opposite direction. I feel hypocritical saying this, but when you are being told to scrim more before you solidify your opinions, there is probably something behind those notions.

And TOmekki, I've decided I won't be joining a clan this season (other then /whois: which doesn't play compeditively). If you really care about it I'm more then happy to exlain why.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Swiftspear+Apr 25 2005, 05:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Swiftspear @ Apr 25 2005, 05:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

And TOmekki, I've decided I won't be joining a clan this season (other then /whois: which doesn't play compeditively). If you really care about it I'm more then happy to exlain why. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    im not sure why youre pointing this at me but umm yeah why not?
  • Router_BoxRouter_Box Join Date: 2004-09-07 Member: 31483Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-DuoGodOfDeath+Apr 25 2005, 02:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DuoGodOfDeath @ Apr 25 2005, 02:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Instead of wasting my time fading in scrims now. I find going Onos in 4 minutes much more easier to destroy the Marines easily.

Aliens are just over powered, just a bit not much. I remember when fades used to pop out at the 3 minutes mark, now I get to onos at the 4. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that was really funny.

In a pug tonight, duo got 10 kills and went got his onos up at 4:20
    <!--QuoteBegin-Router Box+Apr 25 2005, 06:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Router Box @ Apr 25 2005, 06:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-DuoGodOfDeath+Apr 25 2005, 02:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DuoGodOfDeath @ Apr 25 2005, 02:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Instead of wasting my time fading in scrims now. I find going Onos in 4 minutes much more easier to destroy the Marines easily.

Aliens are just over powered, just a bit not much. I remember when fades used to pop out at the 3 minutes mark, now I get to onos at the 4. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that was really funny.

In a pug tonight, duo got 10 kills and went got his onos up at 4:20 <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ahaha
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    forgive the players, just take a look at co.
  • SLizerSLizer Join Date: 2003-11-07 Member: 22363Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-TOmekki+Apr 25 2005, 02:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TOmekki @ Apr 25 2005, 02:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Router Box+Apr 25 2005, 06:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Router Box @ Apr 25 2005, 06:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-DuoGodOfDeath+Apr 25 2005, 02:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DuoGodOfDeath @ Apr 25 2005, 02:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Instead of wasting my time fading in scrims now. I find going Onos in 4 minutes much more easier to destroy the Marines easily.

Aliens are just over powered, just a bit not much. I remember when fades used to pop out at the 3 minutes mark, now I get to onos at the 4. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that was really funny.

In a pug tonight, duo got 10 kills and went got his onos up at 4:20 <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ahaha <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    OMgzor comm they have fa...ONOS!!! f4!!1111
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Perhaps capturing hive locations should offer marines a more tangible reward than just keeping aliens from becoming more powerful.

For example, marines could build a hive-location only structure. This would net them a form of biotechnology. The marine hive-location structure could be called "biotech extractor".

Something would have to be scaled back from the existing marine tech tree for balance, but it would encourage marines to capture/hold hives.

I think that marines, knowing they'll get tangible rewards for their efforts, would be more willing to work together to accomplish AT LEAST the goal of gettng hives this way.

Because as it stands now....the comm can build all his useful structures in one place and all rines will blame him for not upgrading. My idea puts pressure back on the marines to work together to claim hive territory.
  • SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
    Stopping the aliens from putting up a hive is a big enough incentive, IMO. If you can delay the aliens from getting their second hive for as long as possible, marines get precious, precious time.
    <!--QuoteBegin-eliotmat+Apr 25 2005, 09:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (eliotmat @ Apr 25 2005, 09:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Perhaps capturing hive locations should offer marines a more tangible reward than just keeping aliens from becoming more powerful.

For example, marines could build a hive-location only structure. This would net them a form of biotechnology. The marine hive-location structure could be called "biotech extractor".

Something would have to be scaled back from the existing marine tech tree for balance, but it would encourage marines to capture/hold hives.

I think that marines, knowing they'll get tangible rewards for their efforts, would be more willing to work together to accomplish AT LEAST the goal of gettng hives this way.

Because as it stands now....the comm can build all his useful structures in one place and all rines will blame him for not upgrading. My idea puts pressure back on the marines to work together to claim hive territory. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes because what this game needs is more excuses for people to spam turrets and electranificaticution

vote<span style='color:red'><b>no</b></span>
    Sometimes you read posts and know that the author doesn't know what mp_tournament 1 is.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-Snidely+Apr 25 2005, 09:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Snidely @ Apr 25 2005, 09:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Stopping the aliens from putting up a hive is a big enough incentive, IMO. If you can delay the aliens from getting their second hive for as long as possible, marines get precious, precious time. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    tangible rewards, my friend. tangible rewards
    <!--QuoteBegin-TOmekki+Apr 25 2005, 09:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TOmekki @ Apr 25 2005, 09:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-eliotmat+Apr 25 2005, 09:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (eliotmat @ Apr 25 2005, 09:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Perhaps capturing hive locations should offer marines a more tangible reward than just keeping aliens from becoming more powerful.

For example, marines could build a hive-location only structure.  This would net them a form of biotechnology.  The marine hive-location structure could be called "biotech extractor".

Because as it stands now....the comm can build all his useful structures in one place and all rines will blame him for not upgrading.  My idea puts pressure back on the marines to work together to claim hive territory. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes because what this game needs is more excuses for people to spam turrets and electranificaticution

vote<span style='color:red'><b>no</b></span> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not a noob, guy. Spamming turrets and "electranificaticution" was nowhere in my post.

Try again.
    edited April 2005
    Yes, I know you said tangible. I disagree. :/
  • comradecomrade Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23774Members
    it says competitive, not nub
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->it would encourage marines to capture/<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>hold</span> hives.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • IconoclastIconoclast Join Date: 2004-06-23 Member: 29481Members, Constellation
    nuclear launch detected!

kekekeke
  • rad4Christrad4Christ Join Date: 2002-01-31 Member: 139Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Snidely+Apr 25 2005, 02:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Snidely @ Apr 25 2005, 02:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Stopping the aliens from putting up a hive is a big enough incentive, IMO. If you can delay the aliens from getting their second hive for as long as possible, marines get precious, precious time. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    problem with that "strat" is that too many pubs try so hard to retain the hives, and they lose the rest of the map. I don't care how many turrents and electrozappers you have in a hive location, give aliens res control and you sir, are screwed.

I'm really disappointed that so many people are trying to say scrims and PUG's are the only salvation for teamplay. The PUB community is the backbone of the NS world. PUG's, clans, and any higher tier play is dependent on PUBs. I'm disappointed in part because it's true, gameplay on most PUB's is lacking, but also that NS currently requires that high of a level of teamwork on marines, whilst aliens can really loaf as long as they don't make a crucial mistake.

Besides, it's not always player skill IMO. go to the Vet server, all the skill, none of the teamwork. It's just that aliens tach way too fast to higher lifeforms before marines can have a reasonable counter. What do we do about it? I don't know. I also don't know if the dev team even agrees there is an issue, because they're too busy trying to build hype with their silence.
    edited April 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-rad4Christ+Apr 25 2005, 10:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (rad4Christ @ Apr 25 2005, 10:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Snidely+Apr 25 2005, 02:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Snidely @ Apr 25 2005, 02:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Stopping the aliens from putting up a hive is a big enough incentive, IMO. If you can delay the aliens from getting their second hive for as long as possible, marines get precious, precious time. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    problem with that "strat" is that too many pubs try so hard to retain the hives, and they lose the rest of the map. I don't care how many turrents and electrozappers you have in a hive location, give aliens res control and you sir, are screwed. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep. And having parts of the marine tech tree only accessible by taking and holding a hive encourages using this strat.
    edited April 2005
    The idea is to encourage capture of strategic points and de-emphasize res control.

Of course res control would still be an important factor, but it seems the current system isn't holding up very well in pubs........So why not change it?

People want tangible benefits.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    thats indeed kinda the point.
    If rines listen to the comm, its a blast.

I shout ANY rt or w/e under attack through my mic. I shout orders, info, anything. My mic is nearly nonstop on. I am a active comm, even report if a kharaa they shoot (even a skulk) is in green, yellow or red.

So if they listen, it HELPS.

I just let them push, upgrade, and keep shouting to get me RTs. If rines have 2 RT and kharaa, its still a advantage for rines period.

game aint to overpowered, if you got a active comm with a mic and a team who listens.
  • theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    So, you're saying that NS is imbalanced because the marines don't listen to their comm or exhibit good teamwork. However, the aliens win substantially more often, both in pubs and in clan matches. This suggests that the problem doesn't exist because of the players, but because of innate game imbalances.
  • SkySky Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28131Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-DC Darkling+Apr 25 2005, 01:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DC Darkling @ Apr 25 2005, 01:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> thats indeed kinda the point.
    If rines listen to the comm, its a blast.

I shout ANY rt or w/e under attack through my mic. I shout orders, info, anything. My mic is nearly nonstop on. I am a active comm, even report if a kharaa they shoot (even a skulk) is in green, yellow or red.

So if they listen, it HELPS.

I just let them push, upgrade, and keep shouting to get me RTs. If rines have 2 RT and kharaa, its still a advantage for rines period.

game aint to overpowered, if you got a active comm with a mic and a team who listens. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a little too much com activity, me thinks. I need to be able to hear skulks. I really don't need the com to tell me how close to being dead a particular skulk is; I know that myself from experience.
    edited April 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-eliotmat+Apr 25 2005, 01:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (eliotmat @ Apr 25 2005, 01:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The idea is to encourage capture of strategic points <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    vote no to turret spam

whats the point of building a full sized ns map (god knows how long that takes) and then people only play the game in a few select rooms?

edit: the worst thing you can do as a comm is spam mic. i dont care if you build the base full of turrets and do upgrades 5 minutes late if youre perfectly silent all the time, in fact i find it a bit hilarious. but to get a comm that shouts every order and shouts even more every time someone dies... /quit.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I am only gona shout skulks HP if its needed, usually thats for higher lifeforms. I know rines need to listen for skulks, I let them.