Teh Mic Guide

OttoDestructOttoDestruct Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7790Members
Seeing as I and a lot of people have trouble every once in a while with setting up a mic I figured I would do this, seeing as I'm also bored out of my mind.

1) Plug mic in soundcard (usually a red connection).

2) Check to see if it works by recording something in sound recorder

3) Assuming it doesnt work, go to the control panel and go to audio properties or whatever its called for you. Go to the audio tab and click volume on recording. Make sure the correct line is selected.

4) If it still doesnt work, click volume in the audio tab under sound playback. Click advanced. Make sure there isnt anything there messing it up (i.e. because I run 5.1, theres two checkboxes asking if I want speakers running into line out or the microphone line... )

5) If it still doesnt work, check volume levels again, maybe see if you need mic boost on.

Comments

• theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    I've had problems with my mic before. It gave me lots of echo. To those of you who have the same problem, here's how I fixed it. I went into my soundcard's control panel and muted the mic. It seems that NS goes around my soundcard's settings and enables a mic for itself. So, when I tried to use the mic in game, I would get two instances of my voice, which would loop back on each other, creating echo.
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    edited April 2005
    Mine just has feedback issues. So put a sponge over it to absorb most of the sound.
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Join Date: 2002-04-30 Member: 552Members, Constellation
    Can anyone reccomend a stand-alone mic, possibly with a bendy neck and a clip on the end so I can put it on my pair of sextacular headphones?