No Sound

elitebearelitebear Join Date: 2002-05-29 Member: 696Members
ive got a laptop that i recently reformatted and i have absolutely no idea what kind of sound card it has. it doesnt have an internet connection so i dunno what to do. is there some sort of universal driver that can be installed on any computer to enable sound? any ideas?

Comments

• SoulSkorpionSoulSkorpion Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 423Members
    As for universal drivers: nope - no such thing. I assume that Windows didn't autodetect the sound card and try to install its own drivers or you wouldn't be asking.

If it were a desktop I'd suggest opening up the case and having a look at the sound hardware for any logos on it; I suppose you could do the same thing with a laptop although I've never tried it (that is, if you're ok with opening up computer cases in terms of warranties and suchlike).

There are programs which can detect this kind of thing. I don't know what any of them are called, but I know they exist. You might have some luck searching for them.

What does device manager say about it?
  • Mad_ManMad_Man Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17359Members, Constellation
    do you have a recovery disk or something that came with it, that will most likely have them
  • GwahirGwahir Join Date: 2002-04-24 Member: 513Members, Constellation
    It's a laptop, go to the manufacturer's site and look up your version of the thing, they might even have the drivers.
  • theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    Right click on My Computer.
    Click Hardware.
    Click Device Manager.
    Expand Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.

Your soundcard should be listed somewhere there.
  • LaetLaet Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39385Members
    ofcourse if that doesnt work google "sisandra" and then let sisandra scan for your hardware (after you install it), worth a shot