Umbra Tactics

SmoodCrooznSmoodCroozn Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22310Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I would like advice</div> Spores are easy for me to use, but umbra is trickier since it lasts shorter.

Do I want to shoot my teammate or the enemy with it? Or should I shoot between both people? Do I want to use all 3 shots of umbra at once, or wait until one expires, before using the next one? Though umbra is a powerful ability, I don't seem to see the effectiveness of umbra when I play, oddly enough.

Comments

• homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Umbra does not stack; do not fire more than 1 burst in the same location before the other clears. If you have the energy or need to fire multiple umbras, spread them out..

Umbra where your teammates are going to be. If it is a fade or a skulk, fire at least one burst at the enemy target. If there are multiple marines against the fade, fire a burst at the expected entrance/exit.

Lead onos' path with umbra clouds as needed.
  • 2_of_Eight2_of_Eight Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20016Members
    If you're a combat lerk (meaning on the offensive all the time), like me, then you'd want to fire the umbra where you want to be in the next few seconds; that would be near the marine that you're planning to bite. If a marine is running and you're chasing him, shoot the umbra where the marine will likely be when you meet him, several meters after him probably.
    Also, use umbra to cover your escape route. Fire a shot or two, depending on how much energy you have, at your planned escape route, and that'll let you take twice as many shots while escaping. Might save your life.
  • ScrapScrap Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 32953Members
    i personaly shoot the umbra around my teammates, tought it was the only way.Can you umbra a marine with a effect or does it just obstruct the view of the marine?
  • 2_of_Eight2_of_Eight Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20016Members
    If you umbra the marine, it won't block his bullets unless he's firing on something that's inside that umbra. That's quite likely to happen, as aliens will probably be attacking him at the time.
  • typical_skeletontypical_skeleton Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13944Members
    Yep, just keep in mind... it's not the cloud, it's the things IN the cloud that get the benefits of Umbra, hence the "In Umbra" notification.

Don't try to use it as a barrier or shield, doesn't workz0r.
  • RushakraRushakra Join Date: 2004-03-25 Member: 27523Members
    DO:
    Umbra a marine if he is being attacked (or will be in roughly .5 seconds) by your teammates or yourself
    Umbra your teammates / structures / hive if they are taking gunfire
    Lead your troops with Umbra if they need to close distance
    Cover retreating teammates by umbraing doorways and corners.

DON'T:
    Umbra a Marine if whatever can kill him is on the other side of the room and he's patting an HMG.
    Sit on the floor in a doorway shooting Umbra at the Onos charging out of a room. Get out of the way first.
    Umbra anything being exploded by GLs
    Umbra marines or a path if anything going in there is gaurenteed to die to begin with.

I can't stress that last point enough. If you have fives Marines with HMGs on an elevated position or on the other side of a room, Umbra is not going to save an Onos or Fade. You are better off sporing those Marines to break them up and weaken them, then umbraing.
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Rushakra+Mar 29 2005, 04:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Rushakra @ Mar 29 2005, 04:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> DON'T:
    Umbra marines or a path if anything going in there is gaurenteed to die to begin with.

I can't stress that last point enough. If you have fives Marines with HMGs on an elevated position or on the other side of a room, Umbra is not going to save an Onos or Fade. You are better off sporing those Marines to break them up and weaken them, then umbraing. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It wouldn't hurt to umbra the spot you will be sporing from though. (I'm not contradicting you, just adding on to your point.)
  • theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    -I umbra gorges and onos, because they are easy to hit and need umbra.
    -I umbra the marines, because you'll be covered while you or your teammates are attacking.
    -I umbra the exits, so that lerks, fades, and onos will be covered on their retreat.
    -I umbra where I am going to be in the next couple of seconds.
    -I umbra buildings.

Most of the time, it is too hard to cover skulks effectively, so I will just umbra the marines, because they will close the distance fast with leap.

It's difficult to see umbra being effective, but I know that it has been very effective for me at times. It makes it easy to take out a lone HMGer.
  • TyKoNTyKoN Join Date: 2005-01-31 Member: 39304Members
    try to get a group of skulks and umbra them as they xeno.
  • NukeAJSNukeAJS Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28443Members
    Firing umbra at your feet and then sporing is good for pesky pistols.

Otherwise, fire where you think the onos/fade/skulks are going to attack whatever it is they are attacking. With skulks/fades you might want to umbra their escape path (shoot two or three clouds in a line.)

Also, make sure to get the gas on the marines, gas lasts a long time and has a large radius and makes armor1 useless. WHich is good considering focus, cloak from SC, and negating armor1 = one hit wonders.