My Internet Seems To Be Borked

UnderDOGUnderDOG Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15221Members
edited March 2005 in Off-Topic
I am rather sure that I have some connectivity, as I am posting this and browseing the forums, but I can do alot of other internet related things.

In summary:

these boards, slashdot, and battlenet work

google, yahoo, aim, and irc cannot connect

Is something major going down with the internet, or am I just having some random problems?

edit: Btw, by network connections pages in control pannle shows several hundred bytes going and coming every second, so it must be active.

Comments

• ChronoChrono Local flyboy Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18989Members
    maybe some ports are closed

(i have no idea what the hell im talking about)
  • OttoDestructOttoDestruct Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7790Members
    No clue..... on a side note... its fun to stalk chrono and watch his desktop
  • UnderDOGUnderDOG Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15221Members
    I guess I should also add that things have been working fine for months, and there have been no hardware or software (that I know of) changes.
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Members
    hmm.. it sounds vauguely like some sort of adware has hyjacked your hosts file, and done a terrible job of it too. Have you run some anti-spyware apps?
    Hrm, I just check across my network, all 3 computers at my house are doing the same thing. The only 3 things that work are these forums, slashdot, and battlenet.

On the note of adware, that may be possible, though I havnt been to any sites I would think are insecure, and I though that Firefox was immune to that kind of stuff anyway. Additionaly, messed up host files would cause indepent programs like AIM or (shudder) AOL to be unable to connect to the internet.
    <!--QuoteBegin-UnderDOG+Mar 15 2005, 11:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UnderDOG @ Mar 15 2005, 11:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hrm, I just check across my network, all 3 computers at my house are doing the same thing. The only 3 things that work are these forums, slashdot, and battlenet.

On the note of adware, that may be possible, though I havnt been to any sites I would think are insecure, and I though that Firefox was immune to that kind of stuff anyway. Additionaly, messed up host files would cause indepent programs like AIM or (shudder) AOL to be unable to connect to the internet. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It sounded as though they were having problems connecting from your original post... hmm... at what stage of the connection does it fail? Name resolution, or the connection itself?
    It does the connecting line... then it goes into vervifying passwords, then stops and says no connection found. When I try even www.google.com I just get firefox saying "that page cannot be found"
    edited March 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-UnderDOG+Mar 15 2005, 11:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UnderDOG @ Mar 15 2005, 11:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It does the connecting line... then it goes into vervifying passwords, then stops and says no connection found.  When I try even www.google.com I just get firefox saying "that page cannot be found" <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, the google thing is a name resolution problem. So either something is wrong with your hosts file, your DNS settings, or your ISP's name server.

try connecting to google using one of these links:
    <a href='http://216.239.39.99' target='_blank'>1</a>
    <a href='http://216.239.57.99' target='_blank'>2</a>
    <a href='http://216.239.37.99' target='_blank'>3</a>
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-OttoDestruct+Mar 15 2005, 11:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (OttoDestruct @ Mar 15 2005, 11:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> No clue..... on a side note... its fun to stalk chrono and watch his desktop <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seconded.

As for your problem, you could alway call tech service and see what they have to say on it.
    Well, I walked away for an hour to watch some tv, and it seems to have magicly righted itself, go figure.
    <!--QuoteBegin-UnderDOG+Mar 16 2005, 01:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UnderDOG @ Mar 16 2005, 01:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Well, I walked away for an hour to watch some tv, and it seems to have magicly righted itself, go figure. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably a f'd up DNS server at your ISP then.