Banning

UkatoUkato Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7204Members
Earlier today, i was playing a game with some other people, and the commander quit. I thought it was as good a time as any to start learning commander. I hopped in, and all the marines started to **obscenity** for items and armor. I mean, it's not like they were asking for medkits or ammo, but they just wanted a armor and HMG every time they spawned. That's like 43 credits! I gave got some stuff, then went about building and commanding. Well, it seems like one or two guys (who shall remain nameless) got **obscenity** because they couldn't get heavy armor and grenade launchers every time they spawned, so they started to **obscenity**... and **obscenity**... and **obscenity**... and I eventually got banned from command. This isn't really that bad... but after that, the commander who got in wouldn't give me medkits or ammo. What the hell? Was I right in not blowing all the resources on frivolous crap every time these dumbasses spawn? Should I run my resources dry to cater to the happy, but losing, marines?

Comments

• MutantMFMMutantMFM Join Date: 2002-07-27 Member: 1005Members
    edited November 2002
    The worst they can do is temporarly ban you from command just tell them you don't want to waste resources on that when you need it elsewhere.
  • UkatoUkato Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7204Members
    i reread that post, and it makes me sound like an assbite. replace the word **obscenity** with moan, and it'll sound less assbite-esque.
  • MindmeldmeMindmeldme The Evil One Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1637Members
    No worries on the whining stuff of your men. When you command and you have half your marines at the spawn whining about gear. Just let them know what your doing. Right now your babysitting two assualting units of marines...having another set work on a base. Keeping an eye on your resources to continue upgrading and then...when you have the resources dropping them what they want in the order you recieve it. With the new cost of weaponry a fully tricked out marine is expensive. I might to stick to rewarding my men that work together with gear since having one guy with HA and an HMG wander off and getting killed then asking for the same stuff again isn't to cost effective..

You''ll find that guys still new ask for stuff constantly and veterens will tell you they could use it when you have the money, will wait patiently and will be happy for it when you give it to them. As long as you work with your marines to give them the gear they want or need...when you can you'll be find. Don't indulge every guy that wants a shotgun right off the bat when you start a game or everyone that wants a HMG and HA right after it's researched.
  • TacticianTactician Join Date: 2002-02-19 Member: 228Members
    If you're a vet, you should help the commander out by explaining to the new players that they can't always get what they want when they want it. Saves him some trouble, and it sounds better coming from a peer (marine).
  • InexorableInexorable Join Date: 2002-09-28 Member: 1360Members
    edited November 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I might to stick to rewarding my men that work together with gear since having one guy with HA and an HMG wander off and getting killed then asking for the same stuff again isn't to cost effective..<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I second that. If you notice a marine (or several) that work as a team, follow orders, and generally help the team achieve it's goals <i>reward him</i>. When it comes time to re-equip a squad that died in a failed mission, make sure it's that marine which gets the first crack at new equipment. Can't afford to give the entire squad HA/HMG? You know exactly who's getting outfitted with what little you can afford.

Chances are these special marines also know the game well. When they ask for something, there's probably a good reason so consider it a priority request unlike the regular "HAHMGKPLZTHX" spam.
  • iddqdiddqd Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7596Members, Constellation
    best conversation ever:

n00b: give me a **obscenity** gun
    me (comm): ask nicely
    n00b: **obscenity** you, give me a GL and armor.
    other guy: you know, he doesnt have to do it.
    me (comm): so **obscenity** off or ask nicely
    n00b: PLEASE

just goes to show you that if your team isnt a bunch of jackholes that you'll stay in command most of the time.
  • MoleculorMoleculor Namer-of-Bob Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 9Members
    It's an understandable request if you have 300 RP. It's a stupid request if you have 100 or less. Totally understandable.
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Join Date: 2002-04-30 Member: 552Members, Constellation
    edited November 2002
    Whenever I'm on the ground, I try to tell them the virtues of the LMG, and that the commadner is busy seiging the hive, so go hold E on the arms lab and we will be doing more damage.

9 guys out of 10 understand, the other dude I threaten to staple his left testicle to his right butt-cheek.

They usually get the message, or if they keep being morons, the admin bans them. Another valid point, always play on well admin'ed servers.
  • XaniethXanieth Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7280Members
    Something similar happened once.. It was on caged. Three guys are out in Stability Monitoring trying to secure a resource node since we're all starved for resources. They are getting pounded and my resources are being used to keep those 3 men alive. I ask everyone else to go help over at Sta Monitoring but they stay, asking for HMGs, gren launchers, and jetpacks when I barely have enough for medpacks and ammo. This one guy is yelling for mines and I tell him to go over to Sta Monitoring and then he can get his mines. Then I get ejected, and a pisspoor commander comes into power and wastes all of the money on weapons while the men holding them are killed 2 minutes later.

I tried to reason with them saying that it is better spent over in Sta Monitoring since a LMG is pretty good anyways, but don't listen. I tried to get some turrets up to help my men, but because of lack of support, they are quickly overrun.

I hate jackasses who play the game like CS. I love the people who play NS like it should be played.
  • TheScapegoatTheScapegoat Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7870Members
    I wish people would learn how to use the freaking LMG! ARGAGAGARRAGAGR! Its so aggrevating. I mean ive played the last 3-4 games almost strickly LMG and PISTOL to improve my skill with them.

I mean they are FREE! They dont cost no 29-33 rps that could be better spent on a seige turret. I hate giving poeple nade launchers! These things suck against aliens, HMGs are better, and Sieges cost less and are better at killing buildings!

So there i said it SCREW NADE LAUNCHERS! If you see me commanding expect to be building about 5 siege turrets before i even CONSIDER dropping you one of those 4 clip worthless wastes off 33 RPs!

BUT AGAIN! People learn to use the LMG and PISTOL! They are free! And if you need a gun ASK for a SHOTFUN at least! I mean its only 20 and almost better then a HMG - Hear me out.

The aliens your fighting are CLOSE combat, mostly. And a shotty will do 160 with a perfectly placed blast at the skulk that is gonna be in your face ANYWAYS! You do not need a HMG for skulks, and if you see em at range use your PISTOL, its damn effective.

Well thats my shpeal i agree with the posters above hole heartdly as well.