Getting Choke Can Anyone Help Me?

ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">...its getting bad...</div> Im getting really bad choke sometimes spiking to 40-80 what shud i do?

Comments

• SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Dunno about you're situation but I raised my rate with a few thousands via the console.
  • SDJasonSDJason Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16841Members
    rate 20000
    cl_cmdrate (your fps)
    cl_updaterate (20-40)

choke usually comes from an updaterate that is too high (ive heard) alls i know is lowering mine to 20-40 made it go away

Keep ur rate and cmdrate high tho

good luck

~Jason
  • FellowCanadianFellowCanadian Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16844Members
    you don't want to set your cl_cmdrate too high, otherwise you'll get a choke problem again.

Try playing around with it in game to see if you can a setting that works for you.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    Choke is directly related to a client's game "rate" setting, which each client requests individually based on its own setting, but subject to your server's sv_minrate and sv_maxrate values. If the server would like to send a client some data but cannot because sending more data at that time would overrun the client's rate setting (because of a low rate setting, or lots of stuff going on in the server, or the client's updaterate being too high, whatever), then that client gets choke for that server frame. As an internet server op, if you want to reduce choke and at the same time lower the CPU usage of your server (depending on how many of your clients typically raise their cl_updaterate value from the default of 20), make sure to set sv_maxupdaterate to 20.