Cl_smoothtime And Cl_vsmoothing

tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">what is their function?</div> Question in the topic... does anyone know what their actual function is? They are not locked cvars, you can change them freely.

I think their default values are
cl_smoothtime 0.1
cl_vsmoothing 0.05

Which happens to correspond to ex_interp default value of 0.1 in a most tempting way...

Any idea?

Comments

• RobertoRoberto Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14591Members, Constellation
    google

<a href='http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_8.html' target='_blank'>smoothtime</a>

cl_smoothtime [seconds] - Time over which to smooth the view after prediction errors. If cl_smooth is enabled, experiment with values to see which gives the best results.

all I could find for cl_vsmoothing was "second screen interpolation time" I think this value is supposed to be half the value of smoothtime
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    be careful when experimenting with cl_smoothtime since it estimates your position in the game(it's interpolation) between updates; changing it will make your alien game feel different and might throw you off. All your collisions with players and objects in game will "feel" differently.
  • ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Could this possibly be used to compensate for lag? Having 56k, I usually get 250-500 ping. Would you be able to adjust it so that you hit the person a little before you would normally to compensate?
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    It can definately be used to compensate for sure. You'll have to play with the settings to see what it "feels" like with a 56k.
  • ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    If I ever do it, ill post the setting here.

But to start off, which direction (+/-) would move your collisions 'forward'?
  • RobertoRoberto Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14591Members, Constellation
    moving the value up should make it less choppy, less accurate? not sure which way would help you compensate earlier
    I was planning on testing it this weekend, but a hard drive failure has made not do it. It will be a day or two before my computer is back up and running, and at least a week before I have my files again. The motor burned out, so they have to ship it off to a clean room to get the disks and the data on them.