X Box Recalls 14,100,000 Units

CplDavisCplDavis I hunt the arctic Snonos Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12097Members
<div class="IPBDescription">A real one for once.</div> So I know there have been numerous fake xbox recalls a couple years ago but this one is from the offical xbox site off of the microsoft web page.

hmm interesting

<a href='http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/0502/powercordannouncement.htm' target='_blank'>XBox power cord recall</a>

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->REDMOND, Wash. — Feb. 17, 2005 — As a precautionary measure and out of concern for consumer safety, Microsoft Corp. today announced that it will voluntarily replace the power cords on 14.1 million Xbox® consoles worldwide.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->However, in 30 consoles worldwide, these failures are reported to have caused minor injury or minor property damage. In seven instances, customers reported sustaining a minor burn to their hand. In 23 instances, customers reported smoke damage, or minor damage to a carpet or entertainment center.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comments

• UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-CplDavis+Feb 17 2005, 07:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CplDavis @ Feb 17 2005, 07:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> So I know there have been numerous fake xbox recalls a couple years ago but this one is from the offical xbox site off of the microsoft web page.

hmm interesting

<a href='http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/0502/powercordannouncement.htm' target='_blank'>XBox power cord recall</a>

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->REDMOND, Wash. — Feb. 17, 2005 — As a precautionary measure and out of concern for consumer safety, Microsoft Corp. today announced that it will voluntarily replace the power cords on 14.1 million Xbox® consoles worldwide.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->However, in 30 consoles worldwide, these failures are reported to have caused minor injury or minor property damage. In seven instances, customers reported sustaining a minor burn to their hand. In 23 instances, customers reported smoke damage, or minor damage to a carpet or entertainment center.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How about they replace the 3 year old Thompson DVD-Rom drive I have in mine now that barely works. Let's all fix the stuff that's not broken!
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    edited February 2005
    I don't think they're recalling the actual X-Box consoles,
    just the Power Cables.
    "14,100,000 Units" is slightly misleading.

<a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4274035.stm' target='_blank'>Article From The BBC.</a>
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-The Necroscope+Feb 17 2005, 08:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (The Necroscope @ Feb 17 2005, 08:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I don't think they're recalling the actual X-Box consoles,
    just the Power Cables.
    "14,100,000 Units" is slightly misleading.

<a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4274035.stm' target='_blank'>Article From The BBC.</a> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's why I'm suggesting they do replace my drive, not that they have. My power cord is fine, so my Xbox gets to sit and do nothing until I get around to Friday or buying Ninja Gaiden (I bet Friday comes first).
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-CplDavis+Feb 17 2005, 07:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CplDavis @ Feb 17 2005, 07:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> So I know there have been numerous fake xbox recalls a couple years ago but this one is from the offical xbox site off of the microsoft web page.

hmm interesting

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->However, in 30 consoles worldwide, these failures are reported to have caused minor injury or minor property damage. In seven instances, customers reported sustaining a minor burn to their hand. In 23 instances, customers reported smoke damage, or minor damage to a carpet or entertainment center.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heard this on NPR today. Frankly I'm rather stunned. I hope this doesn't hurt them sales-wise.
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members
    Yeah, because a loss like that would just KILL Microsoft.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Mantrid+Feb 17 2005, 11:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Mantrid @ Feb 17 2005, 11:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah, because a loss like that would just KILL Microsoft. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No because die-hard xbox haters come up with enough reasons to hate it, they don't need "faulty hardware" to add to the list, even if it is a one time thing.
    Why would it hurt sales when people can just replace it free anyway? OMG, I'm not buying that, it could <s>burn my house down</s> singe my carpet...if I buy an old one and decide not to have the cord replaced.
    I just hate it when you hear random up in the air arguments from fanboys. I should be used to it by now, but it still bugs me. A lot of my friends are GC fanboys. I love the system but I accept them all really.
  • KungFuSquirrelKungFuSquirrel Basher of Muttons Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 103Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin-Cold NiTe+Feb 17 2005, 11:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Cold NiTe @ Feb 17 2005, 11:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Heard this on NPR today. Frankly I'm rather stunned. I hope this doesn't hurt them sales-wise. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I doubt it will. It's a fault that only applies to earlier versions; later shipments had already been fixed. I got mine in mid 2004 and I think this doesn't apply to it. I'll have to double-check, though.