Im Scared For My Mom

2»

Comments

• CForresterCForrester P0rk(h0p Join Date: 2002-10-05 Member: 1439Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jane+Feb 16 2005, 01:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Jane @ Feb 16 2005, 01:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Cutting any one kind of food out of your diet wheter it be carbs, protein, or even fat is not healthy. Diets that tell you to get rid of one of those three are not good for you unless you have a particular ailment that merits that adjustment.

Did you know the atkins diet guy died from follow his own diet? Yes it does help you to loose weight, but the permanent negative effects it has on your body are not worth it for many people...

BTW carbs are fine if you eat them sparingly and in the morning, so your body has plenty of time to diegest them. The problem arises when you eat a lot of carbs right before you go to bed, that is when bread becomes a health risk. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I never said to cut any of those out of your diet, if that's what you're saying. I just said that there's better, healthier foods to get carbohydrates from. The cons of eating bread far outweigh any possible benefits, in the end.
  • JaneJane Seriously&#33;? Join Date: 2003-07-01 Member: 17835Members, Constellation
    but bread is so tasty....

I wasn't necessarily directing my comment at you forrester, someone was just singing the praises of the atkins diet, which is not something that you should do unless you are severly overweight.
  • MulletMullet Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15910Members, Constellation
    My mom got a hysterectomy also, and since she got it she always seems tired. Damn you doctors!!
  • elitebearelitebear Join Date: 2002-05-29 Member: 696Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Mullet+Feb 18 2005, 12:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Mullet @ Feb 18 2005, 12:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My mom got a hysterectomy also, and since she got it she always seems tired. Damn you doctors!! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    exactly!! my mom is sometimes very sluggish and avoids being her usual self. shes such a cutey pie when shes hyper, i feel like giving her a great big hug. pardon my usage of words
  • BaconTheoryBaconTheory Join Date: 2003-09-06 Member: 20615Members
    My aunt had one. Not a really that big of a deal. Good to see that you care for your mom though.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-CForrester+Feb 15 2005, 12:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CForrester @ Feb 15 2005, 12:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 1) Cooked grains take longer to digest than <b>any</b> fruits and vegetables. Your body will be devoting more energy to digestion because it's difficult to process grains. This means that your body can't spend time with other things, such as waste removal and healing. (How often do you have a bowel movement? If it's not at <i>least</i> once a day, you're backed up.)

2) Grains are cooked. That means that most of the benefits that you could possibly gain from its consumption have been destroyed in the cooking process. I believe that it's cooked twice, actually, but I haven't looked up the process for the creation of flour yet.

Compared to other, healthier foods, grains aren't worth the energy they need to digest at all and won't do you good.

If you refuse to believe this, then you can go ahead and eat your bread, noodles and rice and dehydrate your body. Meanwhile, I'll be feeling great and <i>never</i> needing antibiotics, because I won't <i>get</i> sick. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fruit has a glycemic index around 50, rice, and especially white bread has a MUCH higher glycemic index closer to 100. Rice(especially the polished, less nutricious kind) and white bread are allmost as easy for the body to absorb as pure glucose. While pasta on the other hand has starch grains embeded in a 'matrix' of protein which makes it less acessible and very slow, lower GI than most fruit. i.e. if what you say is true rice and white bread should be awesome for you as long as you get the missing nutrients from elsewhere.

Fruit in general is pretty safe for diabetics because it doesn't contain that much carbohydrates by weight and it's a low GI, SLOW, food.

Grains in general are very quick and easy to extract energy, you get orders of magnitude more energy out of digesting than is required to do so.

And what makes you think your body isn't capable of 'multitasking', digesting food while doing something else?

It's not my body that you're punishing, I don't really care if you eat a one sided diet consisting mostly of undigestible fibers and water.
  • CForresterCForrester P0rk(h0p Join Date: 2002-10-05 Member: 1439Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Soylent green+Feb 17 2005, 08:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Soylent green @ Feb 17 2005, 08:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> And what makes you think your body isn't capable of 'multitasking', digesting food while doing something else? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not saying that it can't, I'm saying that it'll be slower. Much slower. Which will lead to slow healing and constipation.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    edited February 2005
    I never said anything about being dehydrated. Where'd you get that impression from?

Or did I? Hmm... I said something like "IF I'm dehydrated, why do I have to pee so much?" It was a rhethorical question. I meant to imply that I am NOT dehydrated, despite "only" drinking three liters (on average) a day and eating carbs. And since I am the one who's actually living in this body, my word is the one we'll be trusting: I'm not dehydrated.