Jump Or Strafe?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
as a skulk do you find jumping or strafing the best way to move while attacking a marine?

i used to just keep jumping around them but recently i have found strafting to be more effective for some reason... mainly because its easier to keep the movement speed up to dodge the bullets

Comments

• RaVeRaVe Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17538Members
    Jumping around tends to make the player confused. From far away, the marine won't have any problems at all nailing you. Up close, it's pretty scary.

Strafing just works better for more people because it isn't as confusing as jumping and strafing around at the same time. I ersonally like to jump, but sometimes I strafe to avoid jumping into a shotgunner's crosshairs.
  • RushakraRushakra Join Date: 2004-03-25 Member: 27523Members
    Jumping confuses, but a decent player will compensate. Jumping down a hallway without bunnyhopping will usually mean your doom anyway. The best thing you can do is run along the walls/ceiling and jump off at random points. Hop-strafe over to the wall on your left, run along that for a bit, drop down and pop over to the right, then run up onto the ceiling and drop on his head. He'll have a hard time getting a bead on you.

As well, move along whatever flat surface gives the Marine a better view of your top side. That's probably not specific enough, so here's what I mean: What's easier to kill? A skulk running in a straight line on the ground while you are crouched on the other side of Holo Room (same level as the Skulk) or a Skulk running across Holoroom on the ground while you are on one of the ledges?

A Marine only needs to "lead" you with his fire if you're running in any direction other than straight at him. Try to make a Marine need to lead you as much as possible. Running straight at him eliminates two directions his bullets can miss you in. When running down hallways while Marines can see you, try to force them into a position where they need to lead you. That way, bullets will be tinking infront of you and behind you instead of just smacking into your face. It may take an extra .5 seconds to reach him, but if you avoid 2-3 bullets as a result.. well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    edited February 2005
    i ment when attacking, as in when your in biting range, not when trying to get to the rine down a hallway.

im finding the rines are hitting me way less when i straft around them, or from left to right etc, than when i try and jump and attak them
  • EggmanEggman Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31423Members
    When you're up close, you pretty much have to strafe to avoid fire. If all you do is jump up and down, the marine will get you because he only has to aim in one direction. If you strafe around and bite the marine in multiple places, he won't know where you are, or at least has to turn around a lot, wasting lots of shots. Silence (so they can't hear where you went to) or Celerity (so you can get behind him faster) help a lot for this.
  • TakranTakran Join Date: 2004-05-19 Member: 28768Members, Constellation
    I tend to jump, strafe, and leap wall to wall/back and forth (when leap is available). It works decent.
  • Cj_the_DjCj_the_Dj Join Date: 2004-03-18 Member: 27398Members
    i'm confused, what do you mean jump or strafe? like how to approach the marine or how to move when engaged in combat?
  • EggmanEggman Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31423Members
    I think he clarified with a later post that he means when you are already engaged in combat with a marine.
  • j3stj3st Join Date: 2004-06-28 Member: 29602Members
    against an lmg marine i normally jump, which normally means a few bullets less into my body before i take him down. against a shotgun i usually strafe.to avoid getting hit directly at all.
  • keep_it_Gangstakeep_it_Gangsta Join Date: 2003-06-23 Member: 17632Members
    dont think...FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL

actually i always used to jump in combat, i think cus a lot of people tend to try and dodge by jumping out the way and you hope to catch them in mid air. its not actually a good habit and im trying not to do it anymore.

bassicallly against a good marine, if he dodges you that means you in mid air and you cant change direction aka your screwed.

its best to keep on the ground cus you can chnage direction much faster, if he jumps just aim up at him, requires good reactions but hey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    yeah im finding it easier to track rines on the ground and be able to react to there movements.

seen a topic awhile back about increasing the skulks straft speed or somehting like that... it would help jumping while attacking as it would be easier to keep the speed up, because of the added acceleration.
  • PRTePRTe Join Date: 2003-10-25 Member: 21919Members
    i jump... but i think that straing is probably the better option due to the fact you have control, you dont confuse your orientation and you aren't level with the marine's gun
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    edited February 2005
    It kind of depends...

Strafing allows better control over your movements as well as making it somewhat harder to kill you by reflex shots.

At the same time, glidejumping allows for a higher speed when closing the gap after a marine strafe-jump, or if the marine is focusing on another skulk at the moment.

If you're attacking a marine which is concentrating on another skulk, while being shot at by a marine at mid/long distance, glide jumping would be preferable since time is pretty much the only factor when it comes to your lifelength (barring the use of cover) and getting that bite into the back of the first marine is vital.

[Edit] That being said, I try not to jump at a marine focusing on me at close range (bite range), since all that accomplishes is making you a bigger target. And I definately try to NEVER jump at a shotgunner close range if he's focusing on me.
  • keep_it_Gangstakeep_it_Gangsta Join Date: 2003-06-23 Member: 17632Members
    tjosan completely agree with you

<3
  • j3stj3st Join Date: 2004-06-28 Member: 29602Members
    normally just trying to run around the marine in circles to confuse him doesn't work for me. but if you got celerity, try the same thing. move all around him, up walls and ceilings as well. it works wonders; u barely get hit sometimes.
  • SLizerSLizer Join Date: 2003-11-07 Member: 22363Members, Constellation
    I often find myself owned when I go wall-climbing. I usually hop to wall and from there engaing a whole 180 degrees like leftwall-roof-rightwall. Hmm thats ny problem I should maybe drop right after start and go to other wall and stuff.

There were once a great thread how you should think string behind you and that you never cross over it aka you never go back to same line or place.
  • NGENGE Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22443Members
    Bhopping seems to work best for me (NOT JUMPING)

Untill you learn how to Bhop, jumping is probably your best bet, even if you just learn how to strafe-jump and control your direction mid-air.

But you shouldn't be charging rines at all unless they really can't aim.

And despite what anyone says, do NOT lead shots to hit anything. All marine bullet weaponry along with the knife is hitscan, and deal damage immediatly.

Strafeing will usually result in giving the rine more time to aim at you without any real advantage. You're as good as dead strafing.

But... wall strafe climbing isn't a bad idea sometimes. It really screws arond with the hitboxes in coordiation with the model's appearence.