Msrp Means Nothing

illuminexilluminex Join Date: 2004-03-13 Member: 27317Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">New ATI cards = bad pricing</div> With the x800 and x800 xl, ATI wanted to decimate Nvidia's share of the mid-upper market for video cards, so they priced them at the $200 and $300 prices points, respectively. So what's the deal with these video card prices I see? x800's are selling starting around $350 or so, with the x800 xl's starting around $430. That's even more expensive than their Nvidia counterparts!

Any ideas?

Comments

• JimmehJimmeh Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Members, Constellation
    *Does the Summon Talesin dance*
  • IsamilIsamil Join Date: 2003-11-25 Member: 23552Members, Constellation
    edited February 2005
    They're out? Awesome.
    It just came out, the prices should drop once more stores get them.
  • GwahirGwahir Join Date: 2002-04-24 Member: 513Members, Constellation
    I have a Quadro 3400 PCI-e. Not in yet, I haven't chosen a new motherboard yet. Look it up, pricewise they're pretty high up there. Of course I got it at cost so it was pretty cheap.
  • RatonetwothreetwooneRatonetwothreetwoone Join Date: 2004-03-23 Member: 27504Members
    >_>

ati > nvidia

<_<
  • illuminexilluminex Join Date: 2004-03-13 Member: 27317Members, Constellation
    I'm actually wondering why the prices are so high. I know that the companies are grabbing as much of the "must have this card" market with the high pricing, but I want to get an x800 for around $250, like ATI has looked for it to be sold under. The x800 is supposed to be the card that hits their "$200 price point" and it's being sold around $360.
  • jumpingjodajumpingjoda Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24367Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jimmeh+Feb 3 2005, 10:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Jimmeh @ Feb 3 2005, 10:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> *Does the Summon Talesin dance* <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Arrive!
    *tosses magic powder into fire*
  • SandrockSandrock Join Date: 2002-12-16 Member: 10905Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2005
    Supply and demand

High demand + low supply = higher price
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    And so I am summoned.

It's quite simple. The ATi card outperforms the nVidia counterpart with relative ease. Therefore, even with ATi's MSRP, the stores see customers wanting the newest card to come out of ATi. So the prices are bumped, because it's new. Give it a month or two, and they should settle to sanity.

On an additional note, it's not uncommon for ATi to cut shipment of product to a store that goes too far over MSRP, similar to how Sony dealt with the PS2's release.

And let's not forget; ATi makes their own cards (as opposed to a certain other graphics chip manufacturer, who doesn't even believe in their own product THAT much), and so can retail them online, themselves, for that MSRP.
  • illuminexilluminex Join Date: 2004-03-13 Member: 27317Members, Constellation
    edited February 2005
    I already looked at the ATi store, and they don't have a single x800 card of any type for sale. It's extremely frustrating, since I'll need this card to replace the x700 pro I am RMAing (most likely) this next week. Since even the 6600 gt outperforms the x700 pro (the card is trying to fill shoes it can't fit into) with fps to spare in Half Life 2, I'd prefer getting the x800, which has a much larger set of balls and crushes some nvidia face in. However, spending the $160 extra on it is simply a bad idea.
  • SizerSizer Join Date: 2003-10-08 Member: 21531Members
    Ati is retarded and gives away most all their PEs with Dells. So you have all these old farts and baby boomers with the fastest available card in their solitaire machines.

If the X800XL ever reaches MSRP in agp form (lol, suuure) I might get one since outperforms the GT, especially in the most poorly coded engine of all time, Source
  • IsamilIsamil Join Date: 2003-11-25 Member: 23552Members, Constellation
    I think there are a lot of engines that win the Less Efficent award then source, like, Doom 3.
  • spinviperspinviper Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16151Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sizer+Feb 4 2005, 12:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sizer @ Feb 4 2005, 12:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Ati is retarded and gives away most all their PEs with Dells. So you have all these old farts and baby boomers with the fastest available card in their solitaire machines.

If the X800XL ever reaches MSRP in agp form (lol, suuure) I might get one since outperforms the GT, especially in the most poorly coded engine of all time, Source <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Rofl, /me resummons the Talesin to give a witty response.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    I'd agree with the 'fastest possible card' comment... but I'd have to say that the Source comment is just whingeing because VALVe didn't put on the kneepads for nVidia.
    edited February 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-Isamil+Feb 4 2005, 06:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Isamil @ Feb 4 2005, 06:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think there are a lot of engines that win the Less Efficent award then source, like, Doom 3.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The ignorance and propaganda is frightening. I can run Doom3 @ 1600x1200 2xAA HQ with a 6800OC at playable frame rates. Can't say the same for Source with all settings on high. And my system is decidedly midrange - 3000+, 1gig corsair pc3200 - no fx-55 here. Doom 3 doesn't have anything equivalent to the stuttering bugs in Source, and at least iD let's you play with FP16 settings if you have one of those miserable FX cards. Valve could have done it, but no, they left it up to the users to tinker with it and screwed the many fx owners out of a DX9 mode that had decent performance.

<i> I'd agree with the 'fastest possible card' comment... but I'd have to say that the Source comment is just whingeing because VALVe didn't put on the kneepads for nVidia.</i>

Valve certainly put on the kneepads for Ati, or have you forgotten about the millions of dollars that moved around? Can't you look at video card issues with any sort of objectivity whatsoever?
  • Nil_IQNil_IQ Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15520Members
    Woohoo! Fanboy wars!

Fight! Fight! Fight!

(I also have an avatar now)
    edited February 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sizer+Feb 4 2005, 08:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sizer @ Feb 4 2005, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Isamil+Feb 4 2005, 06:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Isamil @ Feb 4 2005, 06:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think there are a lot of engines that win the Less Efficent award then source, like, Doom 3.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The ignorance and propaganda is frightening. I can run Doom3 @ 1600x1200 2xAA HQ, with a 6800OC at playable frame rates. Can't say the same for Source with all settings on high. And my system is decidedly midrange - 3000+, 1gig corsair pc3200 - no fx-55 here. Doom 3 doesn't have anything equivalent to the stuttering bugs in Source, and at least iD let's you play with FP16 settings if you have one of those miserable FX cards. Valve could have done it, but no, they left it up to the users to tinker with it and screwed the millions of fx owners out of a DX9 mode that had decent performance.

<i> I'd agree with the 'fastest possible card' comment... but I'd have to say that the Source comment is just whingeing because VALVe didn't put on the kneepads for nVidia.</i>

Valve certainly put on the kneepads for Ati, or have you forgotten about the millions of dollars that moved around? Can't you look at video card issues with any sort of objectivity whatsoever? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Let's see:

Doom 3 is optimised for NVidia cards. Of course it's going to run flipping fast for you.

HL2 is optimised for ATi cards. Valve said they tried to optimise it for NVidia cards, but it was too flipping hard (or something along those lines)

I agree with you on one thing, "The ignorance and propaganda is frightening".

EDIT-

"Can't you look at video card issues with any sort of objectivity whatsoever?"

I would like to point out, this thread was about ATI card pricing. There was not a single insult about ATI or NVidia till you came along and said this:

" Ati is retarded..."

See my point? flipping hypocrite.

EDIT2 -

"Valve certainly put on the kneepads for Ati, or have you forgotten about the millions of dollars that moved around?"

What the **** are you on about? "Millions of dollars"? Hah. I also love how you complain about Valve optimising HL2 for ATI cards, yet are fine about iD optimising Doom 3 for NVidia.

Like I said, flipping hypocrite.
  • DivWDivW Join Date: 2003-06-23 Member: 17640Members
    edited February 2005
    Yeah, you flipping flipper!

EDIT: <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Fu*ker filters to flipper ¬¬
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah right, I apologise for that little post of mine then.
    <!--QuoteBegin-DivW+Feb 4 2005, 08:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DivW @ Feb 4 2005, 08:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah, you flipping flipper! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fu*ker filters to flipper <u>¬¬</u>
    <i>Doom 3 is optimised for NVidia cards. Of course it's going to run flipping fast for you.</i>

Ignorance again. Nvidia runs better in that engine because they have better OGL drivers. This has been common knowledge ever since Doom 3's release.

<i>HL2 is optimised for ATi cards. Valve said they tried to optimise it for NVidia cards, but it was too flipping hard (or something along those lines)</i>

Yeah, like letting FX owners run in FP16 is sooo hard when others don't have an issue with it. :rolls eyes: Don't you also think it's odd that FX owners see a performance increase when they use 3rd party tools to fool the system into thinking that they're using an Ati card?

<i>I agree with you on one thing, "The ignorance and propaganda is frightening".</i>

Yes, yours.

<i>"Can't you look at video card issues with any sort of objectivity whatsoever?"

I would like to point out, this thread was about ATI card pricing. There was not a single insult about ATI or NVidia till you came along and said this:

" Ati is retarded..."

See my point? flipping hypocrite.</i>

And that says what about my objectivity? Nothing. Stop being an idiot. I've said before that FX cards suck and currently Ati has the fastest card available.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sizer+Feb 4 2005, 02:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sizer @ Feb 4 2005, 02:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> And that says what about my objectivity? Nothing. Stop being an idiot. I've said before that FX cards suck and currently Ati has the fastest card available. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And so then the reason that you were dissing ATi was...?