How To Counter Hmgs?

13»

Comments

• NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    Bacon to base solves the problem of them pressuring a hive. Once they're IN base and all together, you need to thin them out again.

The other solution is to forfeit the hive, but use the time it takes for it to go down as your window for ALL rushing base and wiping it out. Your whole team will NEED to rush base because otherwise beaconings will happen. If a whole team hits MS, you can take out the beacon, AA, and anything else at your leisure.

Generally alien teams can recover from a lost hive faster than rines can recover from the loss of their main base.

One of the exceptions to this however is that if you lose 2 hives then you're balancing precariously on the edge of total loss. If they relocate to a hive, then you're facing a potential 2 hive lock, which is not pleasant at all
  • SLizerSLizer Join Date: 2003-11-07 Member: 22363Members, Constellation
    2 skulks can chew obs faster than any expect very very good commander is in chair due the fact that when you hear base under attack you are by far to late.
  • NadagastNadagast Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6884Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Necrosis+Feb 27 2005, 09:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Necrosis @ Feb 27 2005, 09:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Generally alien teams can recover from a lost hive faster than rines can recover from the loss of their main base. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Errr... what? Marines can easily place ~100-150 res worth of structures and they are pretty much back except for HMGs. Aliens are SCREWED if they loes the 2nd hive. It's pretty much game.

2nd hive is what determines the outcome of the game 95%+ of the time, when you have competent teams playing.
  • j3stj3st Join Date: 2004-06-28 Member: 29602Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-SLizer+Feb 28 2005, 11:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SLizer @ Feb 28 2005, 11:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 2 skulks can chew obs faster than any expect very very good commander is in chair due the fact that when you hear base under attack you are by far to late. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that's why very very [I][/B]very[B][I] good commanders listen for sounds of skulks of alien lifeforms walking into base instead of relying on the 'base under attack' thing. that's usually only for resource towers.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    my obs is on a squadkey always, and that red blinking icon you see within the first bite
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    Assuming you're not dumb enough to let them begin anew in the new hive, you can clean out MS of anything important while the bulk of your team can mop up at the hive.

This only becomes questionable when marines have a two hive lock.

It becomes even more risky if marines have HA, since they can weld each other happily and might actually hold out long enough to drop CC, IPs, etc, and have them all built. Generally tho you're talking basic marines versus aliens with two types of chamber fully maxed out, which means aliens can pull it off quite successfully.

Where this fails is when people all flock to MS, totally ignore the marine relocate, then wonder why they get destroyed. While MS is getting tanked, the team should be shutting down any prospective relocate. As long as the IP is down and there's no comm, it should be child's play to clear out the marines. If you're a competent team and not a bunch of k:d worshipping 2 yr olds.
  • SDJasonSDJason Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16841Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-j3st+Mar 1 2005, 09:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (j3st @ Mar 1 2005, 09:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-SLizer+Feb 28 2005, 11:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SLizer @ Feb 28 2005, 11:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 2 skulks can chew obs faster than any expect very very good commander is in chair due the fact that when you hear base under attack you are by far to late. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that's why very very [I][/B]very[B][I] good commanders listen for sounds of skulks of alien lifeforms walking into base instead of relying on the 'base under attack' thing. that's usually only for resource towers. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bull flipping ****....

No comm ever just leaves his view over ms and playes detective dookie listening for pitter patters outside ms.. panning left and right like a little kid with a magnifying glass looking to fry the ants with his obs of dewm....

NO..

The comm is usually out dropping meds/ammo, setting up sieges, directing his marines, ect..... Maybe he clicks a hotkey every now and then to keep upgrades going, or goes back for a second to drop a few guns, but for the most part.... he doesent have time to just sit in base and go.... "here skulky skulky"

And yeah, 2 skulks will pretty much pwn an obs before the comm can react to the blinking, click it, and hit beacon (assuming he doesent happen to be looking at the icon the instant it falls under attack, which will happen sometimes)

Gimme an M
    Gimme an I
    Gimme an N
    Gimme an E
    Gimme an S

Whats that spell?

MINES :-P

But truthfully, no comm is perfect, sometimes they miss ****... and ive never just sat my commander view in base and listened for skulks.... sorry but ive got too much other **** to do...

~Jason
  • Cyber_PimpCyber_Pimp Join Date: 2005-02-23 Member: 42291Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Bull flipping ****....

No comm ever just leaves his view over ms and playes detective dookie listening for pitter patters outside ms.. panning left and right like a little kid with a magnifying glass looking to fry the ants with his obs of dewm....

NO..

The comm is usually out dropping meds/ammo, setting up sieges, directing his marines, ect..... Maybe he clicks a hotkey every now and then to keep upgrades going, or goes back for a second to drop a few guns, but for the most part.... he doesent have time to just sit in base and go.... "here skulky skulky"

And yeah, 2 skulks will pretty much pwn an obs before the comm can react to the blinking, click it, and hit beacon (assuming he doesent happen to be looking at the icon the instant it falls under attack, which will happen sometimes)

Gimme an M
    Gimme an I
    Gimme an N
    Gimme an E
    Gimme an S

Whats that spell?

MINES :-P

But truthfully, no comm is perfect, sometimes they miss ****... and ive never just sat my commander view in base and listened for skulks.... sorry but ive got too much other **** to do...

~Jason <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Although I agree a well-placed pack of mines is helpful in defending marine start. Your comming skill is deficient if you aren't always aware of a structure under attack. I am always spamming my spacebar while dropping meds and directing my team. I usually receive almost no medpack requests because i med marines almost instantly as they are attack. IF you do this along with binding your important structures to hotkeys you will always be aware of when anything is under attack; This includes your marines.

-Gobble
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    A comm can drop an OBS out in the field and ninja beacon. Not too difficult.