Cisco Client

GreeGree Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16454Members
<div class="IPBDescription">A cry for help.</div> I doubt any of you attend school at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, but last semester they decided to implement the worst network policy ever. In order for me or any other student to use a personal computer we must download and install the Cisco Secure URT login client. This program is terrible. It will randomly release and renew the ip address of the user, it does this from every 5 minutes to every 2 hours. It will also completely crash at random, by this I mean it gets a memory error and I must release renew my ip so I can login again.

This wouldn't be horrible if it wasnt for the 15kb/s bandwidth cap. And in the most recent update for the client the simple exploit around the client was fixed but the client itself wasn't.

If someone knows of a way to bypass the client I would be most aprreciative.

Comments

• BaconTheoryBaconTheory Join Date: 2003-09-06 Member: 20615Members
    Well how does NOT having the Cisco client affect your ability to connect to the campus' network? I assume that if you posted this that it won't allow you to. Maybe your school uses MAC filtering and the Cisco client is used as a medium to let the network know that you're legit. You can always try and go to the network control center if you have some connections in your school's IT department. Also, try going to 192.168.1.1 and see if you can access the router control with username as "blank" and password as "admin". I doubt that anyone would be that stupid as to leave the router exposed like that, but you never know. TRy Googling it as well...you may find what you need.
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Members
    edited January 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-Skidzor+Jan 18 2005, 04:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Skidzor @ Jan 18 2005, 04:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Well how does NOT having the Cisco client affect your ability to connect to the campus' network? I assume that if you posted this that it won't allow you to. Maybe your school uses MAC filtering and the Cisco client is used as a medium to let the network know that you're legit. You can always try and go to the network control center if you have some connections in your school's IT department. Also, try going to 192.168.1.1 and see if you can access the router control with username as "blank" and password as "admin". I doubt that anyone would be that stupid as to leave the router exposed like that, but you never know. TRy Googling it as well...you may find what you need. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That router thing will most definatly not work. A college campus is not using some little $40 SOHO router I can assure you.
  • BaconTheoryBaconTheory Join Date: 2003-09-06 Member: 20615Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-SkulkBait+Jan 18 2005, 04:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SkulkBait @ Jan 18 2005, 04:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Skidzor+Jan 18 2005, 04:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Skidzor @ Jan 18 2005, 04:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Well how does NOT having the Cisco client affect your ability to connect to the campus' network? I assume that if you posted this that it won't allow you to. Maybe your school uses MAC filtering and the Cisco client is used as a medium to let the network know that you're legit. You can always try and go to the network control center if you have some connections in your school's IT department. Also, try going to 192.168.1.1 and see if you can access the router control with username as "blank" and password as "admin". I doubt that anyone would be that stupid as to leave the router exposed like that, but you never know. TRy Googling it as well...you may find what you need. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That router thing will most definatly not work. A college campus is not using some little $40 SOHO router I can assure you. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol ok, you win.
  • GreeGree Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16454Members
    I would try that but that isn't how its done here. The Cisco client is used to change the vlan. I need to register my mac address to access the Cisco login.
  • NakedDaveNakedDave Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33294Members
    You tried asking the guys at Snapl.net or whatever their link is? They seem pretty dedicated gamers over at UAH (woo woo! more NS players for UAH).

Another group to ask that sort of thing would be the HSVGL people, but I doubt they'd know.

Bottom line is, if you're on campus, the network trolls own your bandwidth. If you like doing anything other than browsing HTML, you're going to have to outsource. I believe the earliest workaround found was using AOL for dial-up. Better rates, and less downtime (Ironic, isn't it?)

I live at home, and enjoy unadultered Cable goodness.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited January 2005
    and that is what you get for not looking before you post

wrong thread